Ex-Blackshirts proud of defense's restoration

Maybe you can’t gauge pride by how many former Blackshirts show up to a Bo Pelini golf outing.

After all, it was golf for charity under the sunshine.

But listen to the words between practice putts and wayward drives at Pelini’s golf tournament on Monday. There’s your evidence of exactly how much last year’s return to defensive prominence meant to alumni of the skull and crossbones.

For a while, the product on the field made guys cringe.

Buffalo Bills defensive end Chris Kelsay recalled when he came back to Nebraska on Homecoming in 2007.

You remember. Homecoming. 2007.

“I had to leave at halftime. It was tough to watch. It was embarrassing,” Kelsay said.

Nebraska was behind Oklahoma State 38-0 at halftime. It was an unrecognizable Husker defense to former Blackshirts.

But as Pelini and his staff have brought the defense back among the nation’s elite, Kelsay has been reveling in the resurgence, watching every Husker game that finds its way to his television on the East Coast.

“He has the respect of his players, and that’s key,” said Kelsay, who graduated just before Pelini came aboard as defensive coordinator in 2003.

“If a guy’s going to play for you, he’s got to know what kind of coach you are, what you’re demanding out of him. He’s got to be with you when things are going tough … and Bo’s that kind of guy. He’s going to bust your hump, and get you in shape and make sure you’re disciplined.”

Tampa Bay linebacker Barrett Ruud, who played for Pelini in 2003, expected to see improvement.

But the leap from 114th in scoring defense in 2007 to the nation’s best in that category just two years later surprised him.

“And I’m even more surprised because they had to play even more conservative offensively,” Ruud said. “It’s really hard to play defense when you can only give up a touchdown or two.”

How has Nebraska’s defensive system evolved from the one Pelini used in 2003?

Ruud said the defense then was more zone-oriented in its coverages and there was probably more blitzing since spread offenses didn’t yet have such a presence in the game.

The Huskers did use some nickel defenses in 2003, but Ruud doesn’t recall playing any dime.

Also, the defensive line now is “totally different,” Ruud said, noting Nebraska’s use of the two-gap technique.

“It obviously shows you can do a lot of different things,” Ruud said. “It’s just a matter of getting people to buy into what what you’re doing.”

For former Husker All-American defensive tackle Neil Smith, one of the biggest treats of last season was the play of Ndamukong Suh.

“Total domination, you’ve got to love it being a D-lineman,” Smith said. “Of course you got to love it being the University of Nebraska and you can brag on him. He can be the next you or he can be better than the next you.”

Smith can relate to Suh on what it’s like to enter the NFL as the second overall pick. Smith was the second pick in the 1988 draft. So it was fitting he spent several minutes sharing advice with Suh on Monday.

The six-time Pro Bowler said Suh will have a lot of growing to do at the next level. But when speaking about Suh’s potential, Smith spoke with high flattery.

“I just look at him and he just reminds me so much of Reggie White,” Smith said. “I watched so much film when I was at the University of Nebraska of great pass rushers and defensive players. And for some reason I look at him and I just think of the greatest guy to ever play our position, and that was Reggie White.”

That’s some compliment -- from one Blackshirt to another.

Such a family feel in the program excites Kelsay. It was a connection that he didn’t necessarily feel a few years ago during the turbulent Bill Callahan years.

Kelsay hadn’t had a chance to have a lengthy conversation with Pelini in person until Sunday. The two talked over some appetizers. Kelsay liked the coach’s attitude.

“It’s a lot easier to come back and watch the football team and be around some of the guys that are around the university,” Kelsay said. “I never played for Callahan and I don’t know him from John. I don’t judge anybody. But it’s obviously just a different atmosphere, back to the way it used to be. It’s special. It always was special. And it was a shame to see it leave for a couple years, but now it’s back in order.”

LINK