UPDATE: USC to find out its fate this Friday (6/4)

Nexus

And the ticker now says a forfeiture of wins from the 2004 season

Yeah I just caught that too. I'm curious if Bush will have his Heisman reneged? Doubt it, but you never know.

I read something a while back that most of the Heisman voters wouldn't vote to renege his trophy

And the ticker now says a forfeiture of wins from the 2004 season

Yeah I just caught that too. I'm curious if Bush will have his Heisman reneged? Doubt it, but you never know.

I read something a while back that most of the Heisman voters wouldn't vote to renege his trophy

USC maybe deserves this but that's a REAL hammer the NCAA is laying down. It's basically going to plummet the program in the short term and kill things for all the upperclassmen who haven't done anything wrong. 20 scholarships! That's a serious handicap.

I think the NCAA is trying to show that it does have teeth, and it's maybe a little overdone. If you're going to take away 20 scholarships, I don't know about the bowl ban. Forfeiture of victories is deserved, I guess, but in the end that doesn't mean much, it doesn't diminish their tremendous on-field accomplishments in '04.

From the LA Times....

NCAA hands USC two-year bowl game ban, major scholarship reduction in football

The penalties come after a four-year investigation into allegations surrounding Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush and former basketball star O.J. Mayo. The Trojans will lose more than 20 scholarships in football.

54218374.jpg

Former USC basketball player O.J. Mayo, left, and former football player Reggie Bush have been at the center of a four-year NCAA investigation that has resulted in a two-year bowl ban for the Trojans and a loss of scholarships. (Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times; Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times)

A two-year bowl ban and a loss of more than 20 football scholarships are among the sanctions that the NCAA has dealt USC, a source with knowledge of the situation said Wednesday.

The NCAA, the governing body for collegiate sports, informed USC of its decision after a four-year investigation regarding allegations centered on former football player Reggie Bush and former basketball player O.J. Mayo. The NCAA could make its decision public as early as today.

USC officials would not confirm that the school had received the NCAA's report.

I heard that Committee Chair Josephine Potuto, a Nebraska law professor, was the main 'griller' of the USC staff in this investigation. Colin Cowherd, on his radio show yesterday, said that she's known as a "pitbull" in these types of hearings.

/slap USC