*** Official World Cup 2010 Thread***

Okay, as an American I have no idea how the World Cup works, but I did manage to get the Interweb and the Google machine to spit out that there was a tie between England and the United States. This made me shiver and grit my teeth, but that aside, where does it go from here? Is the US still in contention to win the famed cup? Or are they now spinning their wheels playing El Soccer (not football, which is a real sport)?

I was going to answer your question until I read your last sentence, where you called it El Soccer, which is fairly racist, and then proceeded to say it isn't even a "real sport."

OMG!!!

Dude, thanks for the laugh. When a definite article in the Spanish language becomes racist, that is the day you know Tooldom has reached new and majestic heights.

See you in the funny papers.

It's called futbol, not el futbol. And you didn't even call it that...You said El Soccer. You calling it that would be like saying I am going to play the basketball. It doesn't make any f'ing sense. If you don't like soccer, why are you even here? I can't stand f'ing retards who have no knowledge of a sport so they have to make fun of it instead.

You know I've actually been watching the world cup today and I'm starting to come around to the international aspects of it. Still prefer futbol notre americano, pero it's still an enjoyable watch especially when played on a global scale.

Why I said that is that soccer fans in the US are about the thinnest-skinned and easiest people to bait on the planet, and hilariously defensive (i.e. you). At the smallest prompt a chuckle-worthy diatribe can be unleashed.

But as I mentioned to the other gent above, it was supposed to be taken as sarcasm, or a play on the fact that we have two sports called by the same name, so to differentiate the two we can chest beat about which is better and try to come up with clever labels for the other. I've had the pleasure of sitting around Europeans discussing North American football––they ain't fans. But anyhow, douse that inner flame. I'm enjoying my first ever world cup and am hoping that by some miracle we can kick European ass at a sport our country doesn't give a rip about. That is what is known as competitive irony.

Italy Escape With 1-1 Tie Due To Goalkeeper Gaffe

http://rutube.ru/tracks/3329358.html?v=eca0837156a9350823034012eb116a58

Italy looked slow and confused. Cannavaro didn't much look like the captain who won the World Cup 4 years ago. If it weren't for Paraguay's goalkeeper making the huge mistake of coming out and trying to deflect the ball off the corner kick in the 63rd minute, Italy would have lost the game. To make matters worse, Buffon had to come off at halftime because of back problems. I think this is a sign of things to come...hope none of you picked Italy to win it all...

Ivory Coast/Portugal Draw 0-0

http://videos.sapo.pt/SGKHOG496fBuY7wyDQJF

Not counting Ronaldo's 40 yard strike off the left post in the 11th minute, there weren't many exciting moments. Drogba came off the bench in the 66th minute and had little to no impact. Demel brought down Ronaldo with a hard tackle in the 21st minute which led to some pushing and shoving and both receiving yellow cards.

Brazil Beat North Korea 2-1 In Thrilling Finish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXYPwNnZSIc

It was scoreless at halftime with Brazil looking flat, unable to penetrate North Korea's backline. But a strange goal from Maicon (it looked like he was trying to put in a cross to one of his teammates instead of aiming for the goal) in the 55th minute put Brazil ahead and the clincher from Elano from a through pass by Robinho sealed the deal; although North Korea put a scare in Brazil when Ji Yun-Nam scored in the 89th minute and made the final several minutes very dramatic.

And Spain chokes in a World Cup...what a shocker. Bad first touches, inconsistent defending, and an attacking style that can't generate decisive, moving attacks from more than 25 yards out lost them the game.

Dude, I saw the second half of that match. It was crazy intense. Surprising, too. Spain was attacking the goal left and right––nothing was working. Think the Swiss had a bit of luck on their side that time.