*** Official World Cup 2010 Thread***

It's been a few years since I played so the rules may have changed but to call Offsides, the player must be behind the defender (closer to the goal) BEFORE the ball is kicked. If the ball is kicked and the running player is even with or in front of the defender but subsequently is behind the defender when he touches the ball, that is not considered offside.

I came in on that play after it happened so I didn't get the whole story but judging by what I saw, there was no offsides. If there was a foul, it was on Slovenia for the jersey grabbing.

Well, that's basically correct. The offsides rule has been expanded and complicated to a ridiculous degree at this point. But all that doesn't matter, as you are right - there was no offsides and no foul from the US. Still, we should never been in that position to begin with (0-2 at half, 2-2 near the game's end...this team is capable of much better play).

Today's game was the best example of a ref costing a team a victory. In 2002 we were one game away from playing in the championship game. I think we can beat Algeria, we just need England to lose or tie; they can't win.

No, we need England to win out, and us to beat Algeria to give the final standings:

England: 7

US: 5

Slovenia: 4

Algeria: 0

if you have England win once we get screwed cause then we must beat Algeria. What if we tie Algeria? If England tie and loses last two games we would only need a tie to advance. At the very least advance on goal differential if England ties last two games.

England winning out is the most likely scenario. And honestly, if we can't beat Algeria, we don't deserve to advance. Tying Slovenia is bad enough.

The World Cup is all about getting hot at the right time. If we keep playing the like we did the 2nd half the rest of the way i wouldn't be too happy if we didn't advance.

And that's one major thing that prevents us from being a legitimately good team - inconsistency. If you are inconsistent enough to need to get "hot at the right time" to beat Slovenia and Algeria, then something is wrong.

No offense to either Slovenia and Algeria, the first of which played a pretty decent game today (for a while), but the US is a much better team overall.

The other, of course, is youth development and funding. We are making progress, but it's slow. Pathetic examples of play like today don't help.

Today's game was the best example of a ref costing a team a victory. In 2002 we were one game away from playing in the championship game. I think we can beat Algeria, we just need England to lose or tie; they can't win.

No, we need England to win out, and us to beat Algeria to give the final standings:

England: 7

US: 5

Slovenia: 4

Algeria: 0

If England ties with Slovenia, US needs to beat Algeria by couple goals. Goal differential might play a role.

So the standings now are:

Slovenia 4

USA 2

England 2

Algeria 1

So we need England to tie or lose and we need to win or tie to have a chance of moving on. Right?

EDIT:

Or I guess if both England and the US win, that would work too.

So the standings now are:

Slovenia 4

USA 2

England 2

Algeria 1

So we need England to tie or lose and we need to win or tie to have a chance of moving on. Right?

EDIT:

Or I guess if both England and the US win, that would work too.

No, we are ahead of England based on goal differential. We have 2 goals to spare. A win against Algeria would assure us of moving onto the next round. If we tie against Alergia, have to hope Slovenia beats or ties England.

Serbia Upset Germany 1-0 Thanks To Klose's Sending Off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWMWX2Ksd8c

The story of the match wasn't the play on the pitch, but the referee and his errant decision making. From the very start, he was awarding yellow cards like they were going out of style. In no way did Klose deserve his first yellow. At least the ref was consistently stupid throughout the match. Germany had a chance to tie when Vidic played a handball in his own penalty box, leading to a pk which was block by the Serbian keeper.

USA Win + England Win = USA & England advance

USA Win + England Draw/Loss = USA & Slovenia advance

USA Draw + England Draw = Goal Tiebreaker (USA currently has 2 goal advantage)

USA Draw + England Loss = USA & Slovenia advance

If we lose, we're out.

United States Draw 2-2 With Slovenia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0_a-ZAbkSI

We've all seen the "non-goal" by now. Edu knocked one in off a free kick in the 85th minute which was disallowed by the referee, saying there was a foul on a U.S. player. FIFA rules state the referee does not have to indicate who committed the foul or what the foul was. I guess we'll never know.

But don't forget the terrible first half play by the U.S.'s defense. When a team goes out and gets things done, they do not have to worry about a referee deciding the outcome.

United States Draws 2-2 With Slovenia

http://videos.sapo.pt/a0ZhZCv52oiYGyToDJJN

We've all seen the "non-goal" by now. Edu knocked one in off a free kick in the 85th minute which was disallowed by the referee, saying there was a foul on a U.S. player. FIFA rules state the referee does not have to indicate who committed the foul or what the foul was. I guess we'll never know.

But don't forget the terrible first half play by the U.S.'s defense. When a team goes out and gets things done, they do not have to worry about a referee deciding the outcome.

Normally i would agree with you but he was making a lot of questionable calls all day. It wasn't like that was the first one. In fact, refs have been handing out yellow cards like free candy. This is the first world cup i have seen with so many yellow cards.

Algeria Draw 0-0 With England

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMTcaux8iYM

It's another lackluster performance by the Brits. They looked confused, unsure of themselves. It seemed no one wanted the ball. Rooney was virtually invisible again. David James was great in goal. Algeria was great at getting back and forcing England's hand. nothing much else to say...

Carragher, who entered the game on a yellow, picked up another one today. He will be unavailable for England's next game against Slovenia.