*** Official World Cup 2010 Thread***

Typical for the US...suck at the start and try to dig yourselves out of a hole. The disallowed goal was complete rubbish. It doesn't matter if he was calling a foul or offsides, because neither was the case. Even without that blown call the ref was horrible in the game.

Where do we go from here? It will depend on how the other games shake out. We'll almost certainly have to beat Algeria to have any chance at advancing, though. And that's asking a lot from this US team, sadly.

Edit - What's really sad is the US is a far better team than they're showing. We are usually horrible underachievers in the WC and the trend continues. Not advancing out of this group would be a disgrace.

So where do we go from here?

We are still in it, for now. We have 2 points, Slovenia has 4, England has 1 with a game to play today against Algeria (0 points).

We need to be in the top 2...

So we HAVE to beat Algeria for starters to give us 5 points.

Then, we'd need either England (1) to beat both Algeria & Slovenia to get to 7 points, keeping Slovenia with 4. (most possible)

or

we'd need England to lose/tie Algeria and lose to Slovenia to give Slovenia 7 points...

and there are many other options...basically we have to have 5 points and one other can have more than us, but no more.

Typical for the US...suck at the start and try to dig yourselves out of a hole. The disallowed goal was complete rubbish. It doesn't matter if he was calling a foul or offsides, because neither was the case. Even without that blown call the ref was horrible in the game.

Where do we go from here? It will depend on how the other games shake out. We'll almost certainly have to beat Algeria to have any chance at advancing, though. And that's asking a lot from this US team, sadly.

Edit - What's really sad is the US is a far better team than they're showing. We are usually horrible underachievers in the WC and the trend continues. Not advancing out of this group would be a disgrace.

Today's game was the best example of a ref costing a team a victory. In 2002 we were one game away from playing in the championship game. I think we can beat Algeria, we just need England to lose or tie; they can't win.

It's been a few years since I played so the rules may have changed but to call Offsides, the player must be behind the defender (closer to the goal) BEFORE the ball is kicked. If the ball is kicked and the running player is even with or in front of the defender but subsequently is behind the defender when he touches the ball, that is not considered offside.

I came in on that play after it happened so I didn't get the whole story but judging by what I saw, there was no offsides. If there was a foul, it was on Slovenia for the jersey grabbing.

Today's game was the best example of a ref costing a team a victory. In 2002 we were one game away from playing in the championship game. I think we can beat Algeria, we just need England to lose or tie; they can't win.

No, we need England to win out, and us to beat Algeria to give the final standings:

England: 7

US: 5

Slovenia: 4

Algeria: 0