*** Official World Cup 2010 Thread***

France Narrows List To 23; Will Gallas Make The Cut?

ESPN: France coach Raymond Domenech has all but confirmed his final 23 for the World Cup finals, cutting his initial 30-man squad down by six with the only remaining question mark over the fitness of William Gallas.

Gallas has only played once for Arsenal since February, and he again broke down in the first half of the Champions League clash with Barcelona as he attempted a comeback.

Mickael Landreau (Lille), Rod Fanni (Rennes), Adil Rami (Lille), Yann M'Vila (Rennes), Hatem Ben Arfa (Marseille) and Jimmy Briand (Rennes) have not received invites from Domenech to link up with the training camp, which begins in Tignes on Tuesday.

Maradona Narrows It Down To Final 23

Goalkeepers

Sergio Romero AZ Alkmaar (NED)

Mariano Andújar Catania (ITA)

Diego Pozo Colon

Defenders

Nicolás Otamendi Velez Sarsfield

Gabriel Heinze Marseille (FRA)

Martín Demichelis Bayern Munich (GER)

Walter Samuel Inter (ITA)

Ariel Garcé Colón

Nicolás Burdisso Roma (ITA)

Clemente Rodríguez Estudiantes

Midfielders

Juan Sebastian Verón Estudiantes

Javier Mascherano Liverpool (ENG)

Jonás Gutiérrez Newcastle (ENG)

Ángel Di María Benfica (POR)

Maximiliano Rodríguez Liverpool (ENG)

Javier Pastore Palermo (ITA)

Mario Bolatti Fiorentina (TA)

Forwards

Lionel Messi Barcelona (ESP)

Gonzalo Higuaín Real Madrid (ESP)

Carlos Tévez Manchester City (ENG)

Sergio Agüerio Atlético Madrid (ESP)

Diego Milito Inter (ITA)

Martín Palermo Boca Juniors

[b]USA Names 30 Man Provisional Squad[/b]

Goalkeepers

Tim Howard Everton

Brad Guzan Aston Villa

Marcus Hahnemann Wolverhampton

Defenders

Carlos Bocanegra Rennes

Jonathan Bornstein Chivas USA

Steve Cherundolo Hannover

Jay DeMerit Watford

Clarence Goodson IK Start

Chad Marshall Columbus Crew

Oguchi Onyewu AC Milan

Heath Pearce FC Dallas

Jonathan Spector West Ham United

Midfielders

DaMarcus Beasley Rangers

Alejandro Bedoya Orebro

Michael Bradley Borussia M'Gladbach

Ricardo Clark Eintracht Frankfurt

Clint Dempsey Fulham

Landon Donovan Los Angeles Galaxy

Maurice Edu Rangers

Benny Feilhaber Aarhus

Stuart Holden Bolton

Sacha Kljestan Chivas USA

Robbie Rogers Columbus Crew

Jose Francisco Torres Pachuca

Forwards

Jozy Altidore Villarreal

Edson Buddle Los Angeles Galaxy

Brian Ching Houston Dynamo

Robbie Findlay Real Salt Lake

Herculez Gomez Puebla

Eddie Johnson Aris Thessaloniki

Clemson grads...

Ballack To Miss World Cup With Torn Ankle Ligaments

ESPN: FRANKFURT -- Germany captain Michael Ballack will miss the World Cup because of a right ankle injury, dealing the three-time champions a serious blow less than a month before the tournament.

The German soccer federation said Monday that the 33-year-old Chelsea midfielder had torn ligaments in his right ankle from a tackle during his club's 1-0 FA Cup final victory over Portsmouth on Saturday.

Ballack's ankle has been put in a cast and the federation said he won't be able to train for at least eight weeks.

"It's very disappointing, but I have to accept it," Ballack told German television, standing with crutches. "It's football and you have to live with it. ... I am angry, clearly."

I can't believe how much this is gunna hurt Germany come knockout round.. I see them getting out of group play pretty easy but come the elite games you need the elite players, tough tough blow.

Vicente del Bosque Confirms Final 23

Goalkeepers:

Iker Casillas (Real Madrid)

Jose Reina (Liverpool)

Victor Valdes (Barcelona).

Defenders:

Raul Albiol (Real Madrid)

Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid)

Joan Capdevila (Villarreal)

Carlos Marchena (Valencia)

Gerard Pique (Barcelona)

Carles Puyol Barcelona)

Sergio Ramos(Real Madrid).

Midfielders:

Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid)

Sergio Busquets (Barcelona)

Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal)

Andres Iniesta (Barcelona)

Javi Martinez (Athletic Bilbao)

David Silva (Valencia)

Xavi Hernandez (Barcelona).

Forwards:

Jesus Navas (Sevilla)

Juan Manuel Mata (Valencia)

Pedro Rodriguez (Barcelona)

Fernando Llorente (Athletic Bilbao)

Fernando Torres (Liverpool)

David Villa (Barcelona).

Germany Dealt Another Blow; Christian Traesch To Miss World Cup

ESPN: Germany backup midfielder Christian Traesch will miss the World Cup after injuring his right ankle in a training game against a local selection in northern Italy in another blow for the three-time champions...Traesch twisted his ankle without contact with another player and will need at least a four-week rest.

I don't know how anyone can watch a friendly. It's like watching a preseason MLB or NFL game. The best players generally do not play, and if they do, they are taken out well before they have the chance to make an impact. If I'm not mistaken, Donovan, Dempsey and Howard did not play (USA's 3 best players).

I don't know how anyone can watch a friendly. It's like watching a preseason MLB or NFL game. The best players generally do not play, and if they do, they are taken out well before they have the chance to make an impact. If I'm not mistaken, Donovan, Dempsey and Howard did not play (USA's 3 best players).

Very true but this one at least had some weight to it as a few final spots on the World Cup team were still undecided. I was also flipping back and forth between the Lakers-Suns game after missing the first half while hitting golfballs....not a huge friendly fan either.

Bob Bradley Names Final 23

Goalkeepers:

Brad Guzan Aston Villa

Marcus Hahnemann Wolverhampton

Tim Howard Everton

Defenders:

Carlos Bocanegra Rennes

Jonathan Bornstein Chivas USA

Steve Cherundolo Hannover

Jay DeMerit Watford

Clarence Goodson IK Start

Oguchi Onyewu AC Milan

Jonathan Spector West Ham

Midfielders:

DaMarcus Beasley Glasgow Rangers

Michael Bradley Borussia Moenchengladbach

Ricardo Clark Eintracht Frankfurt

Clint Dempsey Fulham

Landon Donovan L.A. Galaxy

Maurice Edu Glasgow Rangers

Benny Feilhaber AGF Aarhus

Stuart Holden Bolton

Jose Torres Pachuca

Forwards:

Jozy Altidore Hull

Edson Buddle L.A. Galaxy

Robbie Findley Real Salt Lake

Herculez Gomez Puebla

I think we're screwed this WC. I have never liked Bradley as a coach as he does play favorites. Davies should have been given a chance because he was a fire for the team during a couple of the qualifiers. Altidore is lazy, he watches the play rather than moving to space or making a break to give people an outlet pass. Don't even get me started on Bradley Jr, the kid doesn't belong on the National team and is only there because of his dad. In my opinion, as long as we have a second tier MLS coach, we'll never amount to much in the world standings. The team has no fire and Bradley can't bring anything to this team.

I wish we'd have coaxed Klinnsman into coaching the team, he's an attacking coach and the type of coach that would put the best players out there, not his favorites. As long as Gulati is head of the US Soccer governing body, we'll never have a good team, he wants to micromanage way too much.

Netherlands Names Final 23

No Jeremain Lens...

Goalkeepers

Maarten Stekelenburg Ajax

Michel Vorm Utrecht

Sander Boschker Twente

Defenders

Gregory van der Wiel Ajax

Khalid Boulahrouz Stuttgart

John Heitinga Everton

Joris Mathijsen Hamburger SV

Giovanni van Bronckhorst Feyenoord

Edson Braafheid Bayern Munich

Andre Ooijer PSV

Midfielders

Demy de Zeeuw Ajax

Wesley Sneijder Inter

Rafael van der Vaart Real Madrid

Ibrahim Afellay PSV

Mark van Bommel Bayern Munich

Nigel de Jong Manchester City

Stijn Schaars AZ

Forwards

Arjen Robben Bayern Munich

Dirk Kuyt Liverpool

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar Milan

Robin van Persie Arsenal

Ryan Babel Liverpool

Eljero Elia Hamburger SV

I think we're screwed this WC. I have never liked Bradley as a coach as he does play favorites. Davies should have been given a chance because he was a fire for the team during a couple of the qualifiers. Altidore is lazy, he watches the play rather than moving to space or making a break to give people an outlet pass. Don't even get me started on Bradley Jr, the kid doesn't belong on the National team and is only there because of his dad. In my opinion, as long as we have a second tier MLS coach, we'll never amount to much in the world standings. The team has no fire and Bradley can't bring anything to this team.

I wish we'd have coaxed Klinnsman into coaching the team, he's an attacking coach and the type of coach that would put the best players out there, not his favorites. As long as Gulati is head of the US Soccer governing body, we'll never have a good team, he wants to micromanage way too much.

I agree that Bradley plays favorites and I have never understood why Jose Torres doesn't see the pitch more often, but I like lil Bradley being on the team

He makes an effort to make things happen which is more than I can say for Donovan who just waits for something to come to him instead of forcing something to happen

This team is not any worse than the '02 team that made the final 8 and our draw is pretty favorable or at least as good of a draw as we could get

We have a better than 50% chance of getting out of the group stage and once the knockout starts who knows what will happen