LA City Council Votes to Boycott Arizona

"Wow!" ??? :lol:

I'll do you one better. Instead of getting a Class A license, how about I go ahead and investigate several thousand discrimination charges in my career. Good enough for you to think I might know what I'm talking about?

You cherry picked one little quote out of all that.....

All you're dealing with is a bunch of what ifs. Nothing has happened yet, and you guys are saying it's discriminatory when there's no evidence to the fact even though there have been laws on the books since the 40's requiring documentation.

I'll do you one better. Instead of getting a Class A license, how about I go ahead and investigate several thousand discrimination charges in my career. Good enough for you to think I might know what I'm talking about?

Nah. I'm sure being a trucker will make you more aware of legal rights than actually practicing law and investigating discrimination cases. :laughpound

Just stating an example. Besides, my lifestyle couldn't take the pay cut.

I have a funny story:

Very early this morning I was working patrol and I received a "man with a gun" call in a residential neighborhood. I arrived and found the guy gunless (which I later found in the bushes where he threw it) and he was breaking car windows. I watched him break all the windows out of a truck in a driveway and the house it belonged to had significant damage to its windows and structure. Apparently the guy's ex-wife lived there with her new husband, and the guy decided to get drunk and go on a rampage. He grabbed his gun and drove over there, eventually wrecking his vehicle into a lightpole at his destination.

I contacted him in the front yard where he started running toward me. After ignoring my commands and breaching my personal "safety zone" while screaming "I'll kill you!" in spanish, he was taken to the ground and quickly handcuffed (without any strikes or weapon usage, mind you).

As I picked him up off the ground, a Hispanic female neighbor came outside and started cursing at me and yelling, "You can't do this! This isn't Arizona!" She then proceeded to call out her unbelieveably large, yet very "cholo'd out" family, who started yelling at me and threatening to help the shmuck escape my custody. They didn't live up to their threats, so I continued my investigation and took the guy to jail.

In summary: $10,000+ in damage between the vehicle, home, and lightpole he wrecked. He threatened to kill his ex, her husband, and apprently me with the loaded TEC-9 he threw into the bushes as I arrived. He later told me the only reason he didn't shoot at me was because he couldn't figure out how to chamber a round.

God Bless California....

but you get to wear a cowboy hat or trucker hat and drive a big truck :thumbs

GBR

please drop off a truck load of cheap cigs from kentucky/virginia and I will split the profits selling them for 3$ a pack. :horns2

GBR

Jr never ever tell me those stories or I'll have to start shadowing you.:laughpound

All you're dealing with is a bunch of what ifs. Nothing has happened yet, and you guys are saying it's discriminatory when there's no evidence to the fact even though there have been laws on the books since the 40's requiring documentation.

I did not say the whole thing was discriminatory. If you look back through this thread, I've said that I sympathize with Arizona's situation.

What I have said, and I have experience to back up that this is more likely to be true than not, is that this law allows for an environment where discriminatory acts can occur more readily. And when they do (and they will - they happen in states without such laws), this law will be challenged and likely struck down.

I know those are what-ifs. But I've seen enough scenarios to know what the likely outcome of this.

I did not say the whole thing was discriminatory. If you look back through this thread, I've said that I sympathize with Arizona's situation.

What I have said, and I have experience to back up that this is more likely to be true than not, is that this law allows for an environment where discriminatory acts can occur more readily. And when they do (and they will - they happen in states without such laws), this law will be challenged and likely struck down.

I know those are what-ifs. But I've seen enough scenarios to know what the likely outcome of this.

Fair enough.

The thing is, what do you do when the feds are shirking their responsibility on purpose? There are American citizens getting harmed everyday because of this problem.

The thing is, what do you do when the feds are shirking their responsibility on purpose? There are American citizens getting harmed everyday because of this problem.

Yeah, I agree, and I don't know what you do if you're Arizona. I consider this law a cry for help more than anything. They're in a really crummy position.

Apparently Charlie Janssen, State Senator from Fremont, doesn't want Arizona getting the attention all to themselves:

Nebraska lawmaker plans Arizona-style immigrant bill

The uproar over a new, immigration-related law in Arizona could resound in Nebraska next year.

State Sen. Charlie Janssen of Fremont said he plans to introduce a similar bill in the Nebraska Legislature the next session, which begins in January. Arizona's bill requires police enforcing another law to verify a person's immigration status if there's "reasonable" suspicion the person is in the U.S. illegally.

While supporters say it's a fair way to curb illegal immigration, opponents say it can't be enforced without racial profiling, mainly against Hispanics.

"I don't want to be profiling," said Janssen, who added that crafting such a law so it can be enforced without racial profiling is one of the "hardest hurdles." Janssen spoke to The Associated Press late Monday.

Janssen has already drafted a bill he says is almost exactly the same as the Arizona law. But he may change it based on experiences Arizona has with its new law to try to protect it from some of the same legal challenges the Arizona law faces, namely regarding racial profiling.

Amid the furor over the Arizona law, said Janssen, "Nobody is asking this: What if it works?"

Janssen said the only way he wouldn't introduce a bill next year is if another senator has a better, similar measure.

There are at least nine other states considering similar legislation, with chances of such a law passing slim in some.

Chances of such a measure passing in Nebraska's largely conservative, one-house Legislature are higher than in some states. Janssen is considered the most aggressive anti-immigration senator in the Legislature.

"I don't think there's any question that if you polled people there would (be) strong anti-illegal-immigration sentiment and people will put a lot of pressure on senators to vote for it," said Sen. John Wightman of Lexington, who has many Hispanics in his district.

Wightman, who is considered a moderate conservative, said he didn't know for sure how he might vote for such a bill, but expressed reservations about it. He said Nebraska doesn't face many of the border-related problems, like drug trafficking, as Arizona.

Apparently Charlie Janssen, State Senator from Fremont, doesn't want Arizona getting the attention all to themselves:

Nebraska lawmaker plans Arizona-style immigrant bill

The uproar over a new, immigration-related law in Arizona could resound in Nebraska next year.

State Sen. Charlie Janssen of Fremont said he plans to introduce a similar bill in the Nebraska Legislature the next session, which begins in January. Arizona's bill requires police enforcing another law to verify a person's immigration status if there's "reasonable" suspicion the person is in the U.S. illegally.

While supporters say it's a fair way to curb illegal immigration, opponents say it can't be enforced without racial profiling, mainly against Hispanics.

"I don't want to be profiling," said Janssen, who added that crafting such a law so it can be enforced without racial profiling is one of the "hardest hurdles." Janssen spoke to The Associated Press late Monday.

Janssen has already drafted a bill he says is almost exactly the same as the Arizona law. But he may change it based on experiences Arizona has with its new law to try to protect it from some of the same legal challenges the Arizona law faces, namely regarding racial profiling.

Amid the furor over the Arizona law, said Janssen, "Nobody is asking this: What if it works?"

Janssen said the only way he wouldn't introduce a bill next year is if another senator has a better, similar measure.

There are at least nine other states considering similar legislation, with chances of such a law passing slim in some.

Chances of such a measure passing in Nebraska's largely conservative, one-house Legislature are higher than in some states. Janssen is considered the most aggressive anti-immigration senator in the Legislature.

"I don't think there's any question that if you polled people there would (be) strong anti-illegal-immigration sentiment and people will put a lot of pressure on senators to vote for it," said Sen. John Wightman of Lexington, who has many Hispanics in his district.

Wightman, who is considered a moderate conservative, said he didn't know for sure how he might vote for such a bill, but expressed reservations about it. He said Nebraska doesn't face many of the border-related problems, like drug trafficking, as Arizona.

I think what this amounts to is a game of chicken. The states are telling the feds to either clean up their mess or they're going to do it for them.

I think reason and sanity is finally starting to set in for the American public. Polls are showing 60-70% support for Arizona law (that is a landslide in politics). Also, there was supposed to be a HUGE protest outside of the Staple Center in LA because of comments Phil Jackson made regarding the AZ law...15 people showed up...there was literally more media than protesters.

mm0

I'm all for the new Arizona law and I hope other states will jump in and enforce a similar law. Just think there are close to half a million illegal immigrants in Arizona alone, thats a half a million jobs for legal citizens that are white, black, hispanic, Laos, Thailand, purple people, yellow people, whoever they are that are searching for jobs in this economy.

The boycott is voluntary. No one will be required to void contracts and if they do choose to do so they will be subject to breach of contract suits like anyone else. Arizonans wanted this law and therefore they have accepted the consequences. (See Hazleton, PA and many others.) If you are going to pass questionable legislation you will face repercussions.

Gee..

I'm an Arizonan (although I'll always be a Nebraskan at heart) and don't remember ever being asked whether I wanted this or not.

In fact, today was election day around here, but I don't remember any Border Protection items on the ballot...even AFTER the fact.

The Governer "we?" elected (Janet Napolitano) was reassigned to some cabinet position by that Obama fella (Homeland Security Director?) :laughpound:laughpound:laughpound and her appointed replacement (Jan Brewer?) signed the "token" bill that as far as I know just mirrors the Federal law already in place..and stoked some of the (group mentality) already frothing at the mouth from a drug smuggler recently killing a rancher that was known to provide food and water to anyone who needed it.

EDIT: Just heard on the local news that Janet admitted today to John McCain that she has yet to even read the bill (that she opposes).

I've almost gotten used to being boycotted for something on a yearly basis for stuff I don't nessesarily believe in..I never vote for or against anything I don't feel I understand fully which is common since I don't understand much legalese on my limited brain power.

I instinctively opened this thread to find out what's going on in my own backyard..Sad, but my bad, that I don't care enough to learn about every little thing "we" do to piss everyone else off.

There was a news blurb tonight about cutting off the power to CA :laughpound

I AM getting a little sick of special interest groups having the power to make life difficult for the small business person, though and the "public personalities" that swarm the valley just to get their picture out there..Even one of my favourite actors (Danny Glover) was here, along with Al Sharpton..I doubt THEY even have an understanding of what they're actually protesting against.

I heard today, that Vanessa Bryant (Kobe's wife) wore a shirt to game one (Lakers/Suns) with the words," Do I look Illegal?" I can't seem to find a picture, but one of the local shock jocks quiped, "I dunno...Is prostitution legal out there?"

I don't look Hispanic enough..although one of my Cousins looked like Burt Reynolds last time I saw him... I just hope this doesn't mean I'll have to look for my Birth Certificate in order to play my "War's greatest hits" CD in my car and not skip over the "Cisco Kid" or "Low..Ri...der" tracks.

Still...

I wonder if the underlying reason for LA's quick action to Boycot is really because they're afraid it (our tougher stance against illegals) will mean more will enter through their own state. :hmmph

LA Votes in Favor of Arizona Boycott

As for Lakers fans headed to Phoenix... bring snacks

By JONATHAN LLOYD and ROBERT KOVACIK

The Los Angeles City Council passed a resolution Wednesday that calls for cutting some of its business ties to Arizona.

The council's move comes amid controversy over Arizona's tough immigration law -- SB 1070. Thirteen of the council's members approved the resolution.

That makes LA the nation's largest city to boycott Arizona over SB 1070.

"Los Angeles the second-largest city in this country, an immigrant city, an international city. It needs to have its voice heard," said Councilman Ed Reyes. "As an American, I cannot go to Arizona today without a passport. If I come across an officer whos having a bad day and feels that the picture on my ID is not me, I can be... deported, no questions asked. That is not American."

LA Councilman Greig Smith cast the only dissenting vote.

The Arizona law takes effect July 23. A Pew Research Center for the People and the Press national survey released Wednesday shows 59 percent of adults polled supported the Arizona law.

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer called the boycotts -- several cities have proposed or approved plans -- unfortunate and misguided.

"It's already the law in the United States, and I have a responsibility to stand up and protect the people of Arizona and we will do that," Brewer told the Associated Press. "I find it really interesting that we have people out there that are attempting a boycott in favor of illegal actions in Arizona. That to me is just unbelievable."

A professor who helped write the law told the LA Times it actually discourages racial profiling. He said the law only applies when someone violates another law.

"If they are running down the street with a pistol in one hand and a bag of money in the other and someone screaming, 'Bring back my money,' then the police officer can stop them," law professor Kris Kobach told the Times. "But just walking down the street, of course not."

Details of Boycott to Be Decided

The resolution approved by LA's council called for the city to "refrain from conducting business with the state of Arizona including participating in any conventions or other business that requires city resources, unless SB 1070 (Support Our Law Enforcement and Safe Neighborhood Acts") is repealed." The resolution was introduced by councilmembers Reyes and Janice Hahn.

LA's top policy analyst Tuesday identfied $56 million in Arizona-related investments. The analyst recommended that the council suspend travel to Arizona, refrain from entering new contracts and review current contracts.

The city must now decide which of those contracts can be broken without risking a lawsuit.

According to the city controller's office, the city has 15 contracts with Arizona-based companies that are worth a combined total of $7.7 million.

The city's proprietary departments -- namely, the Water and Power and Harbor departments and Los Angeles World Airports -- have another $51.8 million in affected contracts. The city does not have the authority to direct its proprietary departments to terminate those contracts; it can merely request that they do so.

"We asked our city to officials to find out what contracts we have right now that we could actually terminate and have a bit of a financial impact," Hahn said. "It is about $7 million or $8 million. We're asking them to terminate those contracts, where possible and feasible."

The Arizona law makes it a crime for unauthorized migrants to be in the state and requires police to check immigration papers of people they suspect of lacking legal status.

LA's resolution notes that the city has "historically supported policies that prohibit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation and disability. For example, LA supported economic sanctions in protest against apartheid policies in South Africa.

The council will consider a few exemptions. Reyes said the council will take cautions to avoid potential lawsuits over a boycott.

Officials with the Harbor Department and LA World Airports said they are concerned about possible termination of contracts. The Harbor Department has four contracts with Arizona firms.

Most of those contracts involve a program to reduce truck pollution at the Port of LA.

"We dont recommend rescinding the contracts due to adverse effects on the environment and public health," a port spokesman told the LA Times.

LA World Airports has equipment contracts with Arizona. It also recieves revenue from US Airways and Mesa -- Arizona-based airlines.

"We're being very methodical," Reyes said. "We're asking to have this assessed. The fact is, if we chose to ignore what happened in the South in the 60s, we'd still have the kind of discriminatory laws that were being proposed back then.

"We're not going to wreckless here. We want to evaluate the legal impacts."

Hahn, a candidate for Lieutenant Governor, also was asked about the Lakers upcoming NBA playoff series with Arizona. Games No. 3 and 4 are scheduled in Phoenix.

"We're hoping the Lakers take two games in Arizona for the sweep," Hahn told NBCLA. "If you go, we're hoping you take your own snacks and won't buy things in Arizona."

First Published: May 12, 2010 6:28 AM PDT

While the City of LA goes down in a ball of flames (debt and unemployment), they are keeping right on top of the affairs of Arizona. While illegals invade this state and collect their free medical, free food stamps, free breakfast and lunch school programs, free housing subsidies, etc. the city insists upon their political correctness. We have to listen to LA SCHOOL TEACHERS calling for a revolution in the state (an outright act of treason). [i suppose the legal citizens of the state would have to subsidize the revolution!]

UNTIL WE STOP IGNORING THE ELEPHANT IN THE LIVING ROOM (illegals) THIS STATE IS DOOMED TO FAIL! OUR COUNTRY WILL FOLLOW SOON AFTER. Wake up people. We cannot keep spending money we don't have. Let Arizona handle their problems as they wish. They are only enforcing the policies that Washington DC doesn't have the balls to enforce themselves!

I'm all for the new Arizona law and I hope other states will jump in and enforce a similar law. Just think there are close to half a million illegal immigrants in Arizona alone, thats a half a million jobs for legal citizens that are white, black, hispanic, Laos, Thailand, purple people, yellow people, whoever they are that are searching for jobs in this economy.

We've got to draw the line at the purple people..

They attract too many Purple People Eaters.

Flying_Purple_People_Eater_by_hawanja.jpg