LA City Council Votes to Boycott Arizona

Something about this just doesn't seem right.

A city choosing to boycott goods and services from another state based upon said state's federally granted right to create its own laws? And then some of the legislature expressing interest in attempting to lure away conventions and jobs, based on that law that they find disagreeable?

Me thinks that California, at this time and place economically, should be fostering any business relationships it can get. Not severing ties...

Linky

Not all laws are created equally. Let's see if Arizona's recent laws pass their impending constitutional challenges before we get too worried about other states' reactions to it.

And while we're talking about federally granted rights, let's remember that federal law (specifically, Title VII) prohibits laws that have a disparate impact on a group based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, pregnancy and/or marital status. Arizona's latest law is dangerously close to that disparate impact, if not outright over the line.

Think about it this way - we expect humans, regardless of their citizenship, to obey our laws pertaining to robbery, speeding and fair business, right? Just because you're visiting this country doesn't mean our laws don't apply to you. But just as laws protecting drivers, consumers and property holders apply to non-citizens, so do laws pertaining to safety, non-discrimination and fair business protect non-citizens while they're here.

It's important to note, however, that the Arizona law makes no distinction between citizen or non-citizen. It's the citizens I'm most annoyed for, because they stand the chance of being persecuted under the auspices of Arizona's law simply based on how they look. There is no way a rational person can think this is fair or "right."

The majority of people in this state don't give a damn, if Cal wants to boycott. The people voted for this. Dead rancher, wounded cop, Helicopter taking fire. Does this sound normal to anyone? Do the people of Ariz just sit back and wait for the Federal Gov, to get off their duff, and do something. The rest of the country only hears the major stuff that happens around here. There are incidents going on weekly through out the year, that doesn't get put on the national news. Things are bad and are getting worse. No police are going to go around stopping people without just cause. Even if they do show your ID, and go about your business. If you belong here there's nothing to worry about.

GBR!!!

No police are going to go around stopping people without just cause. Even if they do show your ID, and go about your business.

Unfortunately that's not the case, which is why I have a job. The vast, vast majority of police officers - heck, of people in general - are decent, good and law-abiding. The problem is that tiny minority who abuses laws or privileges. That's why laws are made.

Ok Knappic, how is it constitutional for LA to pass a sanctuary city law. They will not enforce federal law in regards to illegal immigrants, are they willfully skirting Title VII, by giving law breakers a shield from law enforcement?

Also I understand what you are saying in regards to our system applying to all people, but do you not forfeit a certain amount of rights if you break the law (I.E. the police can hold me against my will if they catch me committing some sort of crime), since these people are breaking the law just by being here, should they expect to be punished for it?

I am with huskerred on this. Phoenix is number 2 in the WORLD for kidnapping, they have a drug war in the streets, heck even the Mexican military has crossed into US territory and fired (!) on border patrol agents, last I knew that was called an invasion. Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2, and Obama, well pretty much all elected officials have let us down. We now have millions of people in this country who are breaking the law. I am sure most just want to work and go home to there families, but the facts are the facts, they are breaking the law, and the federal government has shown they will not do anything about it. If a state like AZ needs extra protection I think they should be able to pass laws to protect their citizens.

This issue has no easy answers, and solving it will be difficult and require real leadership. I dont think anyone in Washington has the dangley bites to pass real reform in this matter, and places like AZ will continue to suffer because of it.