if we go b10...

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

corncraze said: "We don't want to lower our standards to accepting a no title team as our main rival just because they are close geographically. Why lower our image in the national eye for a team that hasn't had really any success with us?"

I respectfully disagree. Iowa has had some very good seasons with its current coach. I don't remember playing those teams, but only his worst ones against Frank's best. What if we had played them during those Callahan years? Don't you think we might had lost some of those games? I wouldn't go by the won/lost record with IU.

Why should this be a forced rivalry? If both teams are highly ranked in most future years, it can naturally fall into a major one -- especially if we both would play every year. It may not become a big rivalry right away, but, as I said, the future appears bright for both programs.

As for the name thing and being border states, that wouldn't itself create a rivalry, but perhaps help enhance it if both teams in the future are highly ranked most years. But who knows what will happen.

corncraze said: "We don't want to lower our standards to accepting a no title team as our main rival just because they are close geographically. Why lower our image in the national eye for a team that hasn't had really any success with us?"

I respectfully disagree. Iowa has had some very good seasons with its current coach. I don't remember playing those teams, but only his worst ones against Frank's best. What if we had played them during those Callahan years? Don't you think we might had lost some of those games? I wouldn't go by the won/lost record with IU.

Why should this be a forced rivalry? If both teams are highly ranked in most future years, it can naturally fall into a major one -- especially if we both would play every year. It may not become a big rivalry right away, but, as I said, the future appears bright for both programs.

As for the name thing and being border states, that wouldn't itself create a rivalry, but perhaps help enhance it if both teams in the future are highly ranked most years. But who knows what will happen.

With Callahan, Watson and Cosgrove any good team could have beaten Nebraska and most of them did. :facepalm: Though just because they could have would not make them a rival.

How many Husker fans would be clamoring to play Iowa in a OOC game every year if Nebraska stays in the Big 12?

Just think every year Nebraska fans and Iowa fans could look forward to this big game every year for braggin rights. It would compare to Auburn vs Alabama, Notre Dame vs USC. Florida St vs Miami, Navy vs Army. :thumbs

Nebraska needs a rival that has tradition, rivals are extensions of each others success (hence why cu tried so hard to b ours... it made them look better in the national eye), so if we get a rival we must find one that most closely matches our prestige and Iowa is definitely not it. We don't want to lower our standards to accepting a no title team as our main rival just because they are close geographically. Why lower our image in the national eye for a team that hasn't had really any success with us?

I am getting sick of this force fed rivalry crap

We don't need a rival. Rivalries are organic things that just happen. It has to be mutual, and it has to occur because of games that matter. We can't plan on a rival, or designate a team to be our rival out of the blue.

We'll get along just fine without a rival. We'll be good or bad, successful or unsuccessful without a rival. Rivalries are just icing on the cake.

I don't think corncraze was saying we need a rival, since that was only the first half of the sentence. He was saying, if we are to have a rival, it needs to have certain qualities. So you both agree. As do I.

Honestly if we ended up with anything close to a rivalry in the Big 10, it would probably be with Ohio St., just because we would be the only two elite level teams in the conference. Of course it would never have the same tradition of the Michigan-OSU rivalry, but it would still be a huge game just about every time.

With Callahan, Watson and Cosgrove any good team could have beaten Nebraska and most of them did. :facepalm: Though just because they could have would not make them a rival.

How many Husker fans would be clamoring to play Iowa in a OOC game every year if Nebraska stays in the Big 12?

Just think every year Nebraska fans and Iowa fans could look forward to this big game every year for braggin rights. It would compare to Auburn vs Alabama, Notre Dame vs USC. Florida St vs Miami, Navy vs Army. :thumbs

Forgive me but... wat?! No way its a nd-usc! There's over 20 titles between these teams! Um-fsu has 7 titles split, Iowa has no national titles!

Way I see it is there is no even history between us and Iowa on every level. From our Ncs to our total record over them. Y does everyone want to start something with them just because they are close? They aren't even that close, they are east Iowa, mizzou isis about the same length.

With all do respect to Iowa, they have Hayden Frye and Niles kinnick and that's about it. They have always been overshadowed by Mich and osu and have achieved just about as many conference titles as Wisconsin.

It makes no sense for one of the top dogs to reach down for their top rival.

We can't make something up outta thin air, which I think everyone is trying to do, and we have absolutely no history with them!

Nebraska needs a rival that has tradition, rivals are extensions of each others success (hence why cu tried so hard to b ours... it made them look better in the national eye), so if we get a rival we must find one that most closely matches our prestige and Iowa is definitely not it. We don't want to lower our standards to accepting a no title team as our main rival just because they are close geographically. Why lower our image in the national eye for a team that hasn't had really any success with us?

I am getting sick of this force fed rivalry crap

We don't need a rival. Rivalries are organic things that just happen. It has to be mutual, and it has to occur because of games that matter. We can't plan on a rival, or designate a team to be our rival out of the blue.

We'll get along just fine without a rival. We'll be good or bad, successful or unsuccessful without a rival. Rivalries are just icing on the cake.

I don't think corncraze was saying we need a rival, since that was only the first half of the sentence. He was saying, if we are to have a rival, it needs to have certain qualities. So you both agree. As do I.

Yep haha

With all do respect to Iowa, they have Hayden Frye and Niles kinnick and that's about it. They have always been overshadowed by Mich and osu and have achieved just about as many conference titles as Wisconsin.

We can't make something up outta thin air, which I think everyone is trying to do, and we have absolutely no history with them!

First off, there is still no evidence that nu will be invited to join the b10. :blink:

I definitely agree that Iowa is NOT nu's rival. But missou IS and PSU is more likely to call Iowa a rival than NU having been owned by the hawks lately.

BUT nu one of the top dogs?? :LOLtartar

nu has to earn a 'top dog' spot in the b10 on the field. IF the move to the b10 happens, maybe a year or two in... and we'll see who the top dogs are.

BTW- History is nice.

Recent history is better.

:cheers

First off, there is still no evidence that nu will be invited to join the b10. :blink:

I definitely agree that Iowa is NOT nu's rival. But missou IS and PSU is more likely to call Iowa a rival than NU having been owned by the hawks lately.

BUT nu one of the top dogs?? :LOLtartar

nu has to earn a 'top dog' spot in the b10 on the field. IF the move to the b10 happens, maybe a year or two in... and we'll see who the top dogs are.

BTW- History is nice.

Recent history is better.

:cheers

super great post clone. your opinion is always means so much.

Forgive me but... wat?! No way its a nd-usc! There's over 20 titles between these teams! Um-fsu has 7 titles split, Iowa has no national titles!

Way I see it is there is no even history between us and Iowa on every level. From our Ncs to our total record over them. Y does everyone want to start something with them just because they are close? They aren't even that close, they are east Iowa, mizzou isis about the same length.

Lol thought my post was dripping with enough sarcasm that I didn't need to use this. :sarcasm .

If you read any of my comments before, I think the idea of Iowa all of a sudden becoming Nebraska biggest rival is a joke.

I'm pretty sure Iowa's recent surge of success (aka good 2008 and pretty damn good 2009) and Nebraska recent rise is fueling about 75% of this fire. If Iowa wasn't doing as well as they have been in the last 2 years this would kind be like talking about NU and Colorado as "rivals", hell some say it already is that!

• Fire 1

I'm not saying this would be an instant rivalry. Not at all. It depends on how it all plays out. It may take a number of years, or it may never happen. Ferenz (sp) has had some decent teams and a few poor ones. Last year he made a comeback, and this year in some of the preseason polls, they are in the top 15 if not the top ten. It just seems like IU is on the right track. And we know that NU is.

I don't know guys. If both teams become consistent winners and if there are some real dogfight games between the two schools, then you would have some history and a rivalry could be born. But that could happen instead with Wisconsin, etc. I agree that MU, especially if they have some strong teams, could be a much faster rivalry with the history. I think they are somewhat already.

And maybe there's way too many ifs with Iowa. Perhaps it won't happen -- and it may not happen at all -- until I become retirement age (good grief, that's a scary thought!) And we don't know if we will be invited to the Big 10, anyway. See you. :)

Lol thought my post was dripping with enough sarcasm that I didn't need to use this. :sarcasm .

If you read any of my comments before, I think the idea of Iowa all of a sudden becoming Nebraska biggest rival is a joke.

Haha my bad