I think they should have taken out the alternate timeline completely. Focused on giving the show its correct resolution, and use the time they spent on their "flash sideways" to explain more questions that were never resolved. I guess my thoughts on the whole afterlife timeline is just...

Why go there?

I think my disappointment comes from the fact that while entertaining, my main connection to the show was my curiosity. Whenever I started to get bored with the show, another question would pop up and I found myself watching a few more episodes. There was always something unexplained and new.

I had a discussion about this back in season 1. The chance to find out what was happening kept me watching more than the characters, the set, or the relationships. Nice little accessories they were, but the mysteries were the meat and potatoes. Without which, I would have given up long ago. And then here comes the finale that highlights the people and not the mystery. :angry:

If they answered all the questions you guys wouldn't watch the movie when it comes out in a couple of years.

With the way they ended it, I don't think there could be a movie.

Sure there could. We know absolutely nothing about what happened on the island with Hugo running the show and Ben as his right-hand man. We don't know what happened with those on the plane either. The movie obviously wouldn't include Matthew Fox, though I suppose that he could come back as the new "man in black".

If they answered all the questions you guys wouldn't watch the movie when it comes out in a couple of years.

With the way they ended it, I don't think there could be a movie.

Sure there could. We know absolutely nothing about what happened on the island with Hugo running the show and Ben as his right-hand man. We don't know what happened with those on the plane either. The movie obviously wouldn't include Matthew Fox, though I suppose that he could come back as the new "man in black".

I suppose you're right in theory, but the vibe I got from the conclusion was that they wanted to finish with these characters. Some died early, some died late, but here we all are, and what transpired on screen was the most important part of their lives––meaning anything else would be less important, and therefore a second-rate movie by default. They could totally use the island again, make a sci-fi movie set in five hundred years or something. But I'll call it now: I'd be shocked if they did a feature film with the same cast.

Hehe, and you want cop out?

How about in the alternate reality, when the characters were being given their "awakening's." There's a scene where Sayid and Charlotte meet outside of a bar and when they touch, they remember. But apparently, Boone and Hurley were already "awakened." However, Boon'es most meaningful time on the island (before he died) was with Locke, who was not awakened yet. So there was a Round Robin of failed logic to awaken the characters at that point, so the creators just decide to make Boone already know what is going on.

I see it anyway.

That was Shannon, Boone's sister, outside of the bar. Hurley was already awoke by Libby, and my thought is that Hurley probably just paid him to get into a fight, like he paid ana lucia to drop Sayid, Kate, and Desmond out of jail.

I have alot to say about some of the other comments and by all means, I dont know all the answers, but I like to think i have a pretty good idea of what is going on.

So the flash sideways wasn't an alternate reality, but more of an afterlife. In this afterlife, they have these awakenings, orchestrated by desmond,so that they once again can remember the relationships that they had on earth. The people in the church were not all on Oceanic Flight 815 and so this negates the thought of everyone having died in the plane crash. Plus, if you remember outside of the church, Hurley states "you were a great number two", which means that after Jack died Hurley and Ben looked over the island for an unknown period of time.

The creators didn't want all the questions to be answered, but left up to interpretation and discussion (like this board is having). To have all of the answers served to us on a platter would be very unLOST.

As someone who invested time in the show from beginning to end, the finale was bittersweet, but was clearly not disappointing in my mind.

Also, I would be highly surprised if ABC would spin a movie out of this. The storyline is too deep and not episode based, like a simpsons, where you can just have an adventure and it fit perfectly. Think of how much time alone would be spent on backstory for character development and how would you evolve the current story to become a brand new chapter. I dont think it's doable.