Is Bo an upper-echelon coach?

He's already proven with the turnaround he put forth that he's an upper echelon coach... the difference is that he has yet to prove he is an ELITE coach. That will be determined with his next two years.

With the improvement we have had the last two years, the huskers have had expectations raised higher by fans and media. I believe this is Bo's year to prove we can take care of the upper tier teams. Another year of blown games and near upsets might become Bo's reputation.

Is Bo and an upper-echelon coach?

he's looking more and more like one as he gains experience.

the next few years will tell, when all the players are his...

Exactly. When will people wake up and realize that Bo is having this success because of Callahan's players.... :sarcasm

To be an upper-echelon coach...

ya gotta recruit like one. Time will tell.

JMO.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday's CFB live made me think about this thread so here's the BUMP.

The thing that made me think, was the posed scenario if Rich Rod had taken the Alabama HC job.

It got me thinking again in terms of Saban. In Saban's third year, he won a national title and hauled in 2 top 5 recruiting classes, 2 of which were #1. The classes leading up to Saban's MNC were all top 11. So again I pose the question-where does that put Bo if Nebraska wins say, 11 games this year? Or 12 with a BCS appearance? Or 13 with a title game appearance? Or god forbid, a national title? I mean, with a title he's obviously automatically one of the top coaches in the country, but considering the talent level and time frame, I'd say 12 wins puts Bo in the "upper-echelon" category.

Again, what say you?

The thing that made me think, was the posed scenario if Rich Rod had taken the Alabama HC job.

It got me thinking again in terms of Saban. In Saban's third year, he won a national title and hauled in 2 top 5 recruiting classes, 2 of which were #1. The classes leading up to Saban's MNC were all top 11. So again I pose the question-where does that put Bo if Nebraska wins say, 11 games this year? Or 12 with a BCS appearance? Or 13 with a title game appearance? Or god forbid, a national title? I mean, with a title he's obviously automatically one of the top coaches in the country, but considering the talent level and time frame, I'd say 12 wins puts Bo in the "upper-echelon" category.

Again, what say you?

Agree with ya. If we get to 12 wins this season and conference title. You have to consider Bo one of the best coaches around. You have to look at what he has done in the past 3 years, national title or not. He transformed one of worst defensive units ever into one of most feared. He change the whole culture and attitude of the program and the state. I believe he has been one of the best coaches to get the most out of talent that he had. He got players BELIEVING in system and themselves.

If we only manage 9 wins or so, the perception will be atleast nationally, that he is just an average coach.

A couple things (he is awfully close to them)

1. Win the Big 12

2. Win agianst a top 10 team

3. Beat Texas

4. Pull in a top 10 recruting class

5. Win a MNC

:koolaid2:

honestly, who cares about tu, and i do not want tu defining our program.

as for recruiting, let's judge his players after they graduate from college, not high school.

otherwise i would add 'consistently win 10+ games' and agree with everything else on the list.

in 2007, Nebraska was 5-7. In Bo's first year or 2008, we had 9 wins including the bowl win. Last year, we got to double digit wins with the obvious stomping of Zona in the Holiday Bowl. Next year, I don't see us winning anything short of 11 games (could be lowballing it). So say we win 12 games? Win the Big 12? When is Bo considered among the great coaches? Let me remind you Nick Saban took a 6-7 Bama team to 7-6, 12-2, and then 14-0 as national champs.

First, I would argue that Saban is not yet a "great" coach, and may never be one.

In my opinion, "greatness" requires the following:

1. Successful seasons, as measured by wins and losses.

2. Successful programs, as measured by graduation rates, player behavior and discipline issues and by player successfully transitioning into whatever life they choose after college sports.

3. High level of personal integrity, adherence to the letter and intent of recruiting, eligibility and graduation rules and a strong personal commitment to the success and well-being of players, both on and off the field.

Saban, in my view, has achieved #1. #2, and #3, not so much. Even if he stays inthe top 10 and the national title hunt for the next 10 years, without improvement in #2 and #3 he will never equal Tom Osborne or Joe Paterno.

All that being said, I would say Bo is on track to reach the Osborne level, but it will be 10 years before all the evidence is in.

Again, what say you?

Agree with ya. If we get to 12 wins this season and conference title. You have to consider Bo one of the best coaches around. You have to look at what he has done in the past 3 years, national title or not. He transformed one of worst defensive units ever into one of most feared. He change the whole culture and attitude of the program and the state. I believe he has been one of the best coaches to get the most out of talent that he had. He got players BELIEVING in system and themselves.

If we only manage 9 wins or so, the perception will be atleast nationally, that he is just an average coach.

ask me in about 4 yrs from now, and we will see how he did

For me it seems there is alot of pressure fans are putting on Bo and company. Will the faithful get rid of Bo if it doesn't happen? There was a guy by the name of Osborne that had a few great seasons amidst some solid years ... but overall toe it was the direction for the program that stood above it all.

I like the direction of this program, the attitude, the coaching, the way business is done ... and I'm not really all that concerned about others perceptions.

We are Nebraska!

SheepdogMark

Bo is already regarded as one of the best defensive coaches in football. This year Carl is supposed to take on the DC role to allow Bo to act as head coach. It will be informative to see how well Bo's leadership and philosiphies are transmitted through his OC and staff. This, IMO, is the year Bo transends the DC role and truely becomes head coach. Time will tell how good he can be, but to me he seems to have matured as a coach exponentially from his first year and that is exactly what we want to see.

Excellent post, huskertim.

I really, really hope you're right in that Bo takes charge of the offense this year. Bo & Carl have already created a miracle with the defense. If he can get results with the offense we're going to be a very, very nasty team to deal with.