Isn't it funny just how last season

I have always been a Michigan hater, since we had to share that NC with them that one year...but I have to tell you, I am really starting to hate the Big XII more than I ever thought I could. The politics that Texas has brought to it just turns my stomach...along with their attitude. I for one would feel better if we played in the MAC than stay where we are under the likes of Beebe. Going to the Big 10 will boost us financially and academically. The only concern I have is with recruiting, since we do recruit Texas so heavily...but I am sure that will work itself out.

loveface.gifloveface.gifloveface.gif

the big 12 hasn't been too top heavy...tech was a game within sweeping the big 12...KSU pulled off a awesome upset with roberson...the kansas and mizzou year where the whole country turned upside down...okie st, until robinson and dezy went out...hell, if baylor could have kept griffin healthy they were scarey

the big 12 hasn't been too top heavy...tech was a game within sweeping the big 12...KSU pulled off a awesome upset with roberson...the kansas and mizzou year where the whole country turned upside down...okie st, until robinson and dezy went out...hell, if baylor could have kept griffin healthy they were scarey

Blah.

Can't that be said for almost every conference? "The only game that have mattered lately have been between <insert top 3 teams>?"

What games have mattered lately outside of Texas, Oklahoma, and ... er ... uh ... Nebraska?

Idk. Seeing Dantonio and State beat Michigan the last two years is a thing of beauty!

toot.giftoot.giftoot.gif

hey...at one point we were wonder if it would be kansas or missouri in the national title game...or does your memory not exceed 4 years

Oh, I remember. Same with Wusconsin for a few years when they played 3 cupcakes to OOC, then got an easy start to a season. It was completely favorable scheduling not strength of team.

Here is some information on the Big Ten football. It is a couple of years old, but fairly relevant:

The SEC Myth states that Ohio State simply does not have the talent to beat teams like Florida and LSU.

You probably know some SEC Mythologists. They are all over the place -- except, apparently, in the NFL.

Since 2000, NFL teams have drafted 59 Ohio State Buckeyes. Twenty-eight of those 59 were first-day picks -- guys drafted in the first three rounds.

No SEC team can match that. Not one.

The top talent producer in the SEC (by draft picks) is Tennessee, which has had 50 players chosen and 27 on the first day.

Since 2000, the 11 Big Ten teams have produced an average of 26.8 draft picks per school. The 12 SEC teams have produced 27.3 picks per school. That is half a player per school over an eight-year period. So it's basically a wash.

Over those eight years, the average SEC team has produced 12.6 first-day draft picks. The average Big Ten team has produced 10.6. In other words, the typical SEC team has produced one extra first-day pick every four years compared with a typical Big Ten counterpart.

Does that sound like a huge talent gap?

Did you know that Michigan State, a second-tier Big Ten team since 2000, has produced as many NFL draft picks (28) as SEC power Auburn? Hey, it surprised the heck out of me. But it's true. (All draft stats are courtesy of the incredibly comprehensive drafthistory.com.)

Propagators of the SEC Myth point out that Ohio State is 0-9 against the SEC but fail to mention that Michigan's Lloyd Carr was 5-2 in bowls against SEC teams. (This lends a rock-paper-scissors quality to the discussion: The SEC beats Jim Tressel, Tressel beats Carr, and Carr beats the SEC.)

SEC Mythologists don't mention that the top three teams in the Big Ten all played road games this bowl season: Ohio State faced Louisiana State in Louisiana, Illinois faced Southern California in southern California, and Michigan faced Florida in Florida.

The logic behind the SEC Myth is self-perpetuating. When Kentucky beats LSU, it is held up as proof of SEC depth. When Northwestern beats Michigan, people say the Big Ten is weak.

If you believe in the SEC Myth, you believe that SEC teams face an unfair path to get to the national championship game because their conference is so demanding that it's almost impossible to get through it unscathed.

But if you believe that, you have to ignore this:

The Big Ten and SEC play two bowl games against each other every year, in Orlando and Tampa. This is where the conferences send their top two non-BCS teams. If the SEC is really so much deeper, then that conference should dominate those two games.

Yet in the BCS era, the Big Ten has won 11 of those games, the SEC nine.

Remember: In that era, the Big Ten has sent 17 teams to BCS games, while the SEC has sent 15. Three times, the Big Ten sent its third- and fourth-place teams to Florida to play the second- and third-place teams from the SEC. The SEC only had to deal with that once.

Anyway, congrats to Louisiana State, the 2007 BCS champion.

And congrats to the SEC, which -- I mean this sincerely -- is probably the best conference in America, by a small margin.

By Michael Rosenberg

Here is some information on the Big Ten football. It is a couple of years old, but fairly relevant:

The SEC Myth states that Ohio State simply does not have the talent to beat teams like Florida and LSU.

You probably know some SEC Mythologists. They are all over the place -- except, apparently, in the NFL.

Since 2000, NFL teams have drafted 59 Ohio State Buckeyes. Twenty-eight of those 59 were first-day picks -- guys drafted in the first three rounds.

No SEC team can match that. Not one.

The top talent producer in the SEC (by draft picks) is Tennessee, which has had 50 players chosen and 27 on the first day.

Since 2000, the 11 Big Ten teams have produced an average of 26.8 draft picks per school. The 12 SEC teams have produced 27.3 picks per school. That is half a player per school over an eight-year period. So it's basically a wash.

Over those eight years, the average SEC team has produced 12.6 first-day draft picks. The average Big Ten team has produced 10.6. In other words, the typical SEC team has produced one extra first-day pick every four years compared with a typical Big Ten counterpart.

Does that sound like a huge talent gap?

Did you know that Michigan State, a second-tier Big Ten team since 2000, has produced as many NFL draft picks (28) as SEC power Auburn? Hey, it surprised the heck out of me. But it's true. (All draft stats are courtesy of the incredibly comprehensive drafthistory.com.)

Propagators of the SEC Myth point out that Ohio State is 0-9 against the SEC but fail to mention that Michigan's Lloyd Carr was 5-2 in bowls against SEC teams. (This lends a rock-paper-scissors quality to the discussion: The SEC beats Jim Tressel, Tressel beats Carr, and Carr beats the SEC.)

SEC Mythologists don't mention that the top three teams in the Big Ten all played road games this bowl season: Ohio State faced Louisiana State in Louisiana, Illinois faced Southern California in southern California, and Michigan faced Florida in Florida.

The logic behind the SEC Myth is self-perpetuating. When Kentucky beats LSU, it is held up as proof of SEC depth. When Northwestern beats Michigan, people say the Big Ten is weak.

If you believe in the SEC Myth, you believe that SEC teams face an unfair path to get to the national championship game because their conference is so demanding that it's almost impossible to get through it unscathed.

But if you believe that, you have to ignore this:

The Big Ten and SEC play two bowl games against each other every year, in Orlando and Tampa. This is where the conferences send their top two non-BCS teams. If the SEC is really so much deeper, then that conference should dominate those two games.

Yet in the BCS era, the Big Ten has won 11 of those games, the SEC nine.

Remember: In that era, the Big Ten has sent 17 teams to BCS games, while the SEC has sent 15. Three times, the Big Ten sent its third- and fourth-place teams to Florida to play the second- and third-place teams from the SEC. The SEC only had to deal with that once.

Anyway, congrats to Louisiana State, the 2007 BCS champion.

And congrats to the SEC, which -- I mean this sincerely -- is probably the best conference in America, by a small margin.

By Michael Rosenberg

agreed...the beating eachother crap happens in most good conferences...except the pac 10....they just suck

I played high school ball with a guy who played for App St when they went to the Big House for the upset a few years back...

And now that I think about it, I grew up with Zac Bowman (hence why my huskerboard team # is 1) and he made the gamesaving tackle against Michigan in a bowl game a few years back...

some people were saying how much the Big 10 sucks? lol

Those people were just talking about the football. Compared to the Big 12, you might still be able to argue that. I would never want to leave the Big 12 for the Big 10 for the sports. I don't think we would even consider the jump if the academics were the same. Even with the $22 million payday we'd stay put. We'd be working with the rest of our Big 12 brothers to improve our tv situation. Of course Texas keeps that from happening. What makes this a no-brainer is what it does for the institution as a whole. We will be a Big 10 school and that does mean something. We will attract better students and have richer alumni who will give larger amounts back to the school. Not to mention the $$ we get for research. Leaving for the sports would reek of jealousy of UT. I think that making the move to the Big 10 is sacrificing on the athletic side for what it will do for the state and university as a whole. I am not really looking forward to our games with Purdue and Indiana.