ESPN coverage of U$$$$$$C...(UPDATE) USC MUSt Forfit 2004 NC title and vacate 2005 season

Unless something has changed from earlier this afternoon, USC has not lost the actual national title. They just don't get to count the games as a win in the books. It's up to the BCS to meet and decide if the actual championship will be revoked. The same is true of Bush's Heisman.

Edit - And if they do end up actually having it revoked by the BCS, there will be no national title winner for that season.

I guess we will see just how good a recruiter Lame kiffin is, I mean Lane, oops. Sucks to be them. I think now is the time to go raid Cali for all there 5 star recruits.

wait wasnt lane kiffin an ASSISTANT COACH at USC in and around the time of these alligations 2004

WHOOOOPSSSSSSS

:LOLtartar:facepalm:

Yes he was. I don't think I heard anyone say much about that so far. Cheat Carroll is on his TVchannel saying I can't believe we have to go through this. Duh!!!!!! You don't, you left town over this.

According to USA Today, USC will retain the AP Championship but will lose the BCS Championship

USA Today

Now that the NCAA has ruled Reggie Bush received illegal benefits during his career at Southern California, there is some potential significant fallout for both Bush and the Trojans.

Tim Henning, the Heisman Trophy coordinator, told USA TODAY that there was no timetable for a decision.

"The Heisman Trophy Trust will issue a statement at the appropriate time. Until that time, the Trust will have no further comment."

AP sports editor Terry Taylor told USA TODAY in an email that Southern Cal would remain as national champion for 2004.

"The 2004 poll stands," Taylor wrote. "The poll is intended to measure on-field performance. If teams are allowed to play, they're allowed to be ranked and USC certainly played in 2004. Plus, it would be impractical to revote. It's been six years, memories have faded and the poll board from that year is no longer intact.''

BCS executive director Bill Hancock said in a statement that the organization would wait on a decision.

"In accordance with the findings released today by the NCAA, the University of Southern California's 2005 Orange Bowl game victory has been vacated. We take the integrity of NCAA rules seriously. As a procedural matter, the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee (POC) must meet to formally consider vacating USC's championship title and the game records. If the POC takes such action, there would be no BCS champion for the 2004-05 season. The POC will meet shortly to discuss this matter.

"In light of USC's statement that it intends to appeal, we want to make it clear that no action will go into effect until the appeal is heard and decided by the NCAA."

the problem is that this doesn't punish the culprits, who have all left (but someone said kiffin was there at that time, so screw him, he got what he deserves). what is to stop another player or coach from doing this when they will either flee to the nfl when the heat gets to hot, or be gone to the nfl by the time sanctions are implemented?

Taking away wins in seasons that are five years past is lame. :bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs:

T_O_B

:cop::cop::cop:

I'm sorry TOB, but you know what else is lame? Handing out cash, cars, and houses to gain the players that won those games five years ago. The NCAA can't sit back and say, "Man, you guys got us back in '04 gosh darn it."

i thought he said that because it it largely meaningless, no one cares what happened 5 years ago, it is all about the upcoming fall, always.

I see where you are coming from. I just think that a blatant disregard for NCAA rules should be addressed no matter how current, or how far in the past.

I'm probably a little biased like a lot of us who don't care for USC.

Taking away wins in seasons that are five years past is lame. :bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs:

T_O_B

I'm sorry TOB, but you know what else is lame? Handing out cash, cars, and houses to gain the players that won those games five years ago. The NCAA can't sit back and say, "Man, you guys got us back in '04 gosh darn it."

i thought he said that because it it largely meaningless, no one cares what happened 5 years ago, it is all about the upcoming fall, always.

I see where you are coming from. I just think that a blatant disregard for NCAA rules should be addressed no matter how current, or how far in the past.

don't get me wrong, i don't care for usc, but what i am saying is that no one cares about those games (not as much as the games this upcoming fall) and pete carroll and reggie bush are off the hook. they are making money hand over fist for their misfeasance (or is it malfeasance, i always get the two confused) and the current team is being punished. it is a good deterrent, because coaches and administrators will work harder to prevent this, but the main culprits are left untouched. i mean, does anyone think it was a coincidence for pete carrol to bolt right before the school got hit hard? to the seahawks, nonetheless, not really a dream job.

T_O_B

don't get me wrong, i don't care for usc, but what i am saying is that no one cares about those games (not as much as the games this upcoming fall) and pete carroll and reggie bush are off the hook. they are making money hand over fist for their misfeasance (or is it malfeasance, i always get the two confused) and the current team is being punished. it is a good deterrent, because coaches and administrators will work harder to prevent this, but the main culprits are left untouched. i mean, does anyone think it was a coincidence for pete carrol to bolt right before the school got hit hard? to the seahawks, nonetheless, not really a dream job.

Very true. The punishment does seem to be coming down on the wrong people. Hindsight makes it pretty clear why PC left.

T_O_B

Very true. The punishment does seem to be coming down on the wrong people. Hindsight makes it pretty clear why PC left.

i am glad they are getting punished (but would hate for this to happen to NU, especially it Bo was punished for something Callahan did, not saying that would happen, but i can sympathize with the fans, who are also being punished for supporting a team that did wrong, unbeknown to them. i just can't help but think how devastated i would be if something like that happened to my team), and in the end the program did wrong and the program got punished, it is just too bad pete and bush are off the hook. bushes in general are known to leave problems for the guy who comes after they have left, whether it be the field or the office. (that was just a joke, for all you neo-cons and regular cons).

• 2 weeks later...