A&M Regent, Gene Stallings says it's conceivable that UT and A&M could split up

Nexus

Per LJS:

This report from the Waco Tribune-Herald regarding the meeting today between Texas and Texas A&M:

"Texas and Texas A&M officials met Thursday in Austin to discuss whether to bolt to the Pac-10.

However, the meeting ended with the teams in limbo.According to a source, Texas President Bill Powers wants to go to the Pac-10, but Longhorns coach Mack Brown wants to stay in the Big 12. Texas A&M's first choice is to stay in the Big 12; its second choice is to go to the Southeastern Conference, the source said.

Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds has said that he wants to keep the Big 12 together."

Also, Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott, in a conference call today, said it's possible his league stops expansion at 11 teams after today's addition of Colorado. He said there is "no defined timetable" for more expansion.

Someone cue the Young and the Restless theme …

And in case you haven't heard, Lew Perkins has announced his retirement as A.D. at Kansas.

Shocking.

LINK

Why would Mack Brown get a voice in all of this? I mean it's quite possible he will be retired before the moves actually take place (next 2-3 years). I would think the man in waiting (Muschamp) would have more of a say in all of this over Mack Brown.

Sounds like someone else is tired of bending over for UT. WHAT A BUNCH OF CONFERENCE DESTROYING TRAITORS!!!!!!

Sir...if you would imply that Texas A&M University has ever, ever, ever "bent over" for UT-Austin, then I can assure you that...with no disrespect intended...you have absolutely no concept whatsoever of what makes a Texas Aggie. And those who are aware realize that you know not of what you speak.

2 things Texas wants, they want to "run" the conference they are in and they want no part of the SEC, where they would simply be mediocre! :wasted

Personally, I don't think competition is something that keeps Texas from the SEC as much as the academic liability as that conference is.

:yeah

It's tough.

Texas fits in with the PAC-10 (though a geographic stretch, that's why we have airplanes these days...), but Texas A&M doesn't fit in ideologically with other PAC-10 members and that would be a very contentious membership.

Texas A&M fits in more with the SEC, but Texas would rather be associated with the superior academic reputations of the Big Ten or PAC-10.