D'Post article on Huskers

From what I have seen and my own personal feelings, there is a VERY high level of excitement from the fans. I don't think the excitement level is down much. The EXPECTATION level is certainly down, but not the excitement level IMO.

I'm not saying the excitement level is down, but I don't think it's near the level it was in the 90's and even 00 and 01. I think the last 3 years have taken some air out of our sails. We were without a doubt better than almost every team in the nation every year, and now we've dropped down to a team that expects to lose some games every year.

I don't know if I'm less excited now knowing we'll probably lose at least 2 games than I was thinking about who may be able to beat us.

Reality is sometimes very tough to deal with. We are not a top 25 school and in honesty have not been since the destruction in Colorado. We were shown to be down on speed, talent and motivation then. We traveled for a couple of years hiding our failures with mirrors. Ugly jumped up and bit us last year. Now we have to deal with what SP saw all along.

We have taken steps to correct the problems. It is obvious how far we have fallen when we can bring in Jucos and they are instantly better than what we have. These kids ended up in Juco for a reason. Not good enough or did not have the grades to go to a major college. My guess a combination of both. How well the Jucos fair against the real cream of the crop of the top teams will tell us how far we have to go. I think this staff found jewels in our Juco crop. I think we will fair well this year. But we are still a very long ways from having the talent of any of the top 15 programs in the country. It will take another two years to get there, but we will need some major wins and moral victories to keep the recruiting gate open. If we do well this year, we will find it harder next year to recruit the top kids. Last years 5-6 is truly what opened the doors for this class. With the bad sometimes comes the good.

We are in good hands and Ihave faith in BC that he will get us back to being a respected program. He has a long ways to go, but we need to be here behind him. Understanding just how far we have fallen and understanding how hard it is to get back on top. All you have to do is look at Alabama, Notre Dame, Penn State and USC. It can happen. SC has done it. We will to.

GJ,

I think you hit the nail on the head. I do not see excitement falling off at all. If anything it is up. We are all geeked to see what will happen. It is a very exciting time to be a Husker fan. We used to count games that could be a game, now we just do not know where we are. That is what is great about college football, on any given day it can happen. I think this team really comes together this year. We may not see the wins we all want, but the nucleus for a strong team is forming and that will spell trouble for the others in the future.

I dont see any fall off. I realize that Husker fans are more reserved and not talking of Natl Titles but to not be excited about the Huskers coming out on the field is absurd. I make this statement now in total sobriety. If the Huskers went 0-11 I would still be excited the next year. I would hope for a new coach but I would be excited cause if there is one thing that the Huskers have over most teams is extreme fan loyalty. We are not as cocky as we once were but that will make winning again that much sweeter. We forgot our roots lost site of the prize and refused to evolve with football. Now we are making up for that and my only hope is we do not become like the NDs of the world. A once domiant team with a name and no wins. I hope that is not in our future and I have to believe it is not.

Big Red thru and thru til' I die Go Huskers! (yep my excitement is gone) :rollin

I dont see any fall off. I realize that Husker fans are more reserved and not talking of Natl Titles but to not be excited about the Huskers coming out on the field is absurd.

I gotta give the writer credit for making a mostly positive article, as that can be pretty hard for the folks at the Denver Post.

but the low-excitement thing is even more laughable when you consider the local team that that paper covers most in college football- the CU Buffs- had to go DOOR-TO-DOOR to sell season tickets.

obviously Boulder is just flowing over with excitement after winning the North title last year. while us unexcited Husker fans can only manage to continue our sellout streak as we expand the capacity of our stadium.

woe is us.

:bang

I don't think I expressed in writing exactly what I was thinking. I don't disagree, I think every year Husker fans are just as excited as they were the year before. Wins/losses doesn't make it any more/less exciting. When we were winning, we had an excited confidence, and now it's more an excited optimism.

And people in Colorado really don't have any idea what being a Husker is all about. I wouldn't mind seeing them join the Pac10.

I think every year Husker fans are just as excited as they were the year before. Wins/losses doesn't make it any more/less exciting. When we were winning, we had an excited confidence, and now it's more an excited optimism.

that's the same thing as being a Cubs fan, only with a lot less winning.

that's the same thing as being a Cubs fan, only with a lot less winning.

Yep, I don't think Cub fans or Husker fans would ever abandon the team like they do/have done at CU, KSU, even OU when they were bad.

When have the huskers have been bad except for last year. The cubs have always been bad. Sreroid Sammy