Cleveland writer shares his Big Ten divisional breakdown

Nebraska's in. So where do the Cornhuskers fit?

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said there were three factors that would determine how the 12-team conference breaks into two six-team divisions for the 2011 season. He's got people working on it. Here's a suggestion, following the three Delany factors: competitive balance, rivalries and geography.

Here's my reasoning:

1. Competitive balance is the first factor, so split the four programs that have been clearly above the others over the last 25 years: Nebraska, Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. Since 1985, all four programs rank among the top 10 in the nation in winning percentage:

* No. 2 Nebraska, 242-71-1, .772

* No. 6 Ohio State, 230-74-5, .752

* No. 7 Michigan, 222-80-5, .731

* No. 10 Penn State, 218-86-1, .716

Geographically, Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State would all fit into the Big Ten East, but putting three of the four premier programs on one side would tilt the scales, so it's out. Otherwise, competitive balance can be worked out any number of ways. But it mandates this first rule

2. Not all rivalries are created equal, so not all will be considered with the same weight. Here are the five that are protected, with the rivals placed in the same division, in this scenario: Ohio State-Michigan, Michigan-Michigan State, Nebraska-Iowa, Purdue-Indiana and Northwestern-Illinois. And Minnesota, which has rivalry games with Iowa, Wisconsin and Michigan, will have at least one of the games protected each year. One other prime rivalry - Ohio State-Penn State - will give way to the competitive balance demands.

I've gone back and forth on this, but if Ohio State and Michigan must play every year - and they do - then the smartest thing is to put them in the same division. And Nebraska-Iowa, though not a rivalry, has to develop into the new version of Nebraska-Oklahoma, and it could. So that must be protected.

3. Now, geography. Frankly, this takes a major back seat. Penn State, in particular, is going to have an unnatural geographical division. But with the other two rules followed, there's not much wiggle room left.

Check out the musts:

* Ohio State-Michigan-Michigan State together

* Nebraska-Penn State together

* Nebraska-Iowa together

* Indiana-Purdue together

* Illinois-Northwestern together

So:

Division A

Ohio State-Michigan-Michigan State

Division B

Penn State-Nebraska-Iowa

Pairing 1

Illinois-Northwestern

Pairing 2

Purdue-Indiana

Wildcards

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Therefore, the only choices are:

Which pairing goes with which division?

How do you split up Minnesota and Wisconsin?

Here, geography comes in. Indiana shares a border with Ohio, so the Boilermakers and Hoosiers go in the Buckeyes' division. Illinois shares border with Iowa, so the Illini and Wildcats go in the Hawkeyes' division.

That leaves Minnesota and Wisconsin, with the Badgers obviously the more successful program.

* Over the last 25 years, the Badgers have the sixth-best winning percentage among conference teams and 40th-best in the nation. In the last 10 years, the Badgers have the second-best winning percentage in the Big Ten.

* Over the last 25 years, the Golden Gophers have the ninth-best winning percentage among conference teams and rank 78th in the nation. In the last 10 years, the Gophers are tied for eighth in the Big Ten.

So Minnesota-Wisconsin is the only real question.

Originally, I had Wisconsin in the Nebraska-Penn State-Iowa group, but that made that division too difficult. That creates a scenario where Ohio State and Michigan, when the Wolverines are back, would lead a top-heavy division with Michigan State, Purdue, Indiana and Minnesota. So I switched.

And, given the parameters spelled out by Delany, this is the way I think the Big Ten has to look in 2011. All we need now are names for the divisions.

Personally, I like Big Ten Black and Big Ten Blue.

Here are the schools, with their records over the past 10 years and their records over the past 25 years.

Big Ten Black

Ohio State, 102-25 (.803) -- 230-74-5 (.752)

Michigan, 81-43 (.653) -- 222-80-5 (.731)

Wisconsin, 86-43 (.667) -- 170-129-4 (.568)

Michigan State, 60-62 (.492) -- 153-141-4 (.520)

Purdue, 67-57 (.540) -- 133-156-4 (.461)

Indiana, 39-78 (.333) -- 118-167-3 (.415)

Totals 435-308 (.585) -- 1026-747-25 (.578)

Big Ten Blue

Nebraska, 84-44 (.656) -- 242-71-1 (.772)

Penn State, 77-46 (.626) --218-86-1 (.716)

Iowa, 80-45 (.640) -- 182-116-5 (.609)

Minnesota, 62-62 (.500) -- 129-162-2 (.444)

Illinois, 45-73 (.381) -- 124-162-5 (.435)

Northwestern, 61-61 (.500) -- 116-172-3 (.404)

Totals 409-331 (.553) -- 1011-769-17 (.567)

LINK

Will they re-seed the conference line up every 10 years?

When the Big 12 started using this guy's criteria (just not going back 25 years) putting NU, Colo and K-St in the the same division was daft. And keeping rivalries intact would only mean that NU - OU - UTerus - aTm would need to be in the same division and that would have been the weakest so to even it up you would have to throw in MU and OSU The other division would be Colo, K-St, Kansas, IsU, Baylor and Tech.

The order probably should be 1: rivalries b: geography and then 3rd: strength - because it will change with time, the others will not.

I will disagree with any division that splits up Minnesota and Wisconsin. If they want to split up Us from Iowa or Mich, then fine, but Ive always considered Wisconsin our biggest rival

There's no way the Big Ten would ever split up Wisconsin and Minnesota. You don't cast aside Paul Bunyan's axe and a 115 year-long consecutive rivalry. Even if it's a forgone conclusion that we'll kick your ass every year :)

Edit: and aside from the other obvious benefits of joining the Big Ten, Nebraska fans will get a much better educated set of puerile blowhards talking smack on your board. I can only imagine the barely literate ramblings you had to endure in that *other* conference.

I will disagree with any division that splits up Minnesota and Wisconsin. If they want to split up Us from Iowa or Mich, then fine, but Ive always considered Wisconsin our biggest rival

There's no way the Big Ten would ever split up Wisconsin and Minnesota. You don't cast aside Paul Bunyan's axe and a 115 year-long consecutive rivalry. Even if it's a forgone conclusion that we'll kick your ass every year :)

Well, hopefully that will turn around soon with the help of our new stadium, haha. I challenge any college football program to survive playing off-campus in the metrodome. It cant be done! I mean, what recruit wants to play in that crap-bag?

Edit: and aside from the other obvious benefits of joining the Big Ten, Nebraska fans will get a much better educated set of puerile blowhards talking smack on your board. I can only imagine the barely literate ramblings you had to endure in that *other* conference.

Speaking of barely literate ramblings, you should have met tufftiger, a mizzou fan who is deeply missed on here.

I wonder what his thoughts are right now about the big red???