Thank you, Big 10 Fans!

The open arms welcome we Huskers are receiving is priceless. There are so many "welcome to the Big 10" threads that I can't respond to them all, so I'll just do it here:

I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to stop by to talk with us and welcome us into your family. After all the venom being spewed by other Big 12 fans right about now, your support and encouragement is really so refreshing, and making me look even more forward to watching our student athletes compete in your conference, and becoming a proud member of a really great conference and family!

I'm so pumped, and you great Big 10 fans are the biggest reason!

Very well, very well. Nebraska is a quality addition to the conference. I imagine, in due time, there will be all the hate & spittle rivalries that sports fans are used to. I'm curious to see which teams Nebraska aligns with amiably and those it develops real beef with. The only difference is, outside of our territory, everyone in the Big Ten will have your back. Nebraska is one of us.

I'm lazy right now, and since I have the attention of a couple of people - help me out, please. How do the conference games work now? I know some teams play each other every year, but how does the rest of the rotation get determined currently? Obviously how it's done will change next year, but I was curious to what the current logic is in scheduling conf. football games.

For instance, we have two divisions, N/S. We play everyone in our division each year, plus a home/home series with 3 teams, rotated between the same set of 3 every two years.

Now you go...

I'm lazy right now, and since I have the attention of a couple of people - help me out, please. How do the conference games work now? I know some teams play each other every year, but how does the rest of the rotation get determined currently? Obviously how it's done will change next year, but I was curious to what the current logic is in scheduling conf. football games.

For instance, we have two divisions, N/S. We play everyone in our division each year, plus a home/home series with 3 teams, rotated between the same set of 3 every two years.

Now you go...

from whats been floating around

east: psu, osu, mich, pur, ind, msu

west: neb, minn, wisc, iowa, northwestern, ill

or

north: wisc, minn, msu, mich, northwester, pur

south: neb, iowa, ill, ind, osu, psu

The driving distance from State College to Lincoln is over 1,000 miles. If you divide East/West, the longest drive within the division is the 564 miles between Penn State & Purdue. So East and West is more realistic. someone on this site posted something about a "pod" setup. where you were paired with a team that you will always play every year. (Ex: Michigan-ohio State) this idea can be looked into also

Keep in mind, the Big 10 likely isn't done adding teams. Any Big East team would start play in 2013 so I would suspect that we will have 2011 and 2012 with 12 teams and then starting in 2013 we will go to some type of pod system with either 14 or 16 teams. If that is correct then we don't have to worry about things becoming permanent for those first 2 years so you will very possibly see something screwy in order to maximize the big matchups such as the East/West given above but with cross divisional games between Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin vs. Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State. Not something you would want to do on an ongoing basis - but for a limited 2 year run it would certainly give the biggest matchups on a weekly basis.

Very well, very well. Nebraska is a quality addition to the conference. I imagine, in due time, there will be all the hate & spittle rivalries that sports fans are used to. I'm curious to see which teams Nebraska aligns with amiably and those it develops real beef with. The only difference is, outside of our territory, everyone in the Big Ten will have your back. Nebraska is one of us.

As far as "having a beef" with, I'm sure Iowa will top that list. If you've noticed some of the threads already this is gonna be pretty heated. I also think PSU will fall under here, mainly due to the past history between us. Like that '82 game and the fact that PSU fans have this insane belief that the Nits could hang with Nebraska back in '94.

2 teams generally rotate off the schedule every two years.

The best way to divide divisions would be east and west. They don't seem certain to do that. I have to think that may be because one school we're pursuing won't want to be in with OSU, UM and PSU.

The worst thing that could happen would be to split OSU and UM. That would give a lot of people a bad vibe right away similar to what happened with you and Oklahoma.

I have to believe that NU will be in with Iowa, Wisky, Minny, Illinois, ect..... I just can't see them putting the farthest west team in with the farthest east teams and making them play every year.

I also wonder where the conference title game will be? I'm sure it'll be a dome. Possibly in Indy?

The open arms welcome we Huskers are receiving is priceless. There are so many "welcome to the Big 10" threads that I can't respond to them all, so I'll just do it here:

I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to stop by to talk with us and welcome us into your family. After all the venom being spewed by other Big 12 fans right about now, your support and encouragement is really so refreshing, and making me look even more forward to watching our student athletes compete in your conference, and becoming a proud member of a really great conference and family!

I'm lovin' the Big 10 folks.

I'm lovin' the Big 10 folks.

i'm getting the impression that the big 10 is conference first, the needs of the many of the wants of the few, and that is what gets me most excited. the solidarity amongst each other is pretty awesome.

Yeah this will be easier then replying to every welcome topic we are getting. It is awesome and I have never seen anything like it. So thanks to all the Big 10 fans coming over here...Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, and Wisconsin. I have enjoyed watching all of these teams and now it will be even better since we are in the same conference now. I am looking forward to the future and I was a bit fearful for awhile, but you guys have made it so much easier to feel good about NU's decision. Thanks again and can't wait for the start of Big 10 play in 2011! You guys have all been pretty classy!

Hey guys, welcome to the BigTen!

I hope to see you guys on the BigTen Network this year, Jim Delaney said that some of your OTF sports may be shown this year already even though you're still BigXII.

We are a tight knit community. We are the Big Ten, and we are prideful of it. We may be part of tOSU or UofM, but when we play we represent the Big Ten. That's the mentality we as a conference carry. In out of conference games we root for our conference brethren no matter how bitterly we hate them. I root for Michigan when they play non-Big Ten teams, even if I refuse to purchase anything in the state.

So, welcome the the Big Ten guys, I hope you settle in well and pick up on the pride we share.

OTF = Other than football