Adam Rittenberg's Divisional Breakdown

GSG

As much as I would love the PSU-NU match up, I can't see either school being enthusiastic about having to spend the extra cash every year to send the women's JV rifle team half way across the country. These divisions aren't just for football, and both schools support alot of "Olympic Sports" and title nine programs. I think this will be part of the decision process like it or not.

As much as I would love the PSU-NU match up, I can't see either school being enthusiastic about having to spend the extra cash every year to send the women's JV rifle team half way across the country. These divisions aren't just for football, and both schools support alot of "Olympic Sports" and title nine programs. I think this will be part of the decision process like it or not.

that's just the thing...this can be a just a football thing...with b-ball's end of the year conference tourney and what not the other sports don't have to abide by these divisions...it can be strictly football

I like this set up quite a bit, but from a rivalry standpoint Wisconsin and Minnesota should be switch with Indiana and Purdue, but how would PSU feel about being the Eastern most team in the Big Ten having to travel to all of the Western Schools. If Penn State can get over that geographical flaw this would be an awesome scenario.

Nebraska playing Iowa, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Michigan every year, would be awesome!

I like this set up quite a bit, but from a rivalry standpoint Wisconsin and Minnesota should be switch with Indiana and Purdue, but how would PSU feel about being the Eastern most team in the Big Ten having to travel to all of the Western Schools. If Penn State can get over that geographical flaw this would be an awesome scenario.

Nebraska playing Iowa, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Michigan every year, would be awesome!

i think that is why we would fit better with them as a east team with a lock on them as our yearly divisional foe from the east...just sayin

If they do this split for football only, what is the actual difference in time of travel? Didn't TO say that even though the miles are greater the actual travel time will be very similar because NU would be flying to games vs. bussing to the likes of ISU, KU, KSU, do they fly to Columbia or bus?

From a PSU perspective- do they fly to all their games or do they bus to any of them now? If they only fly how much travel time are they adding, an hour, an hour & a half, if they come west more? Is it really that much difference than what they are doing now? It's not like NU is on the west coast.

My point is with all the air travel is the difference in actual travel time really that significant?

If they do this split for football only, what is the actual difference in time of travel? Didn't TO say that even though the miles are greater the actual travel time will be very similar because NU would be flying to games vs. bussing to the likes of ISU, KU, KSU, do they fly to Columbia or bus?

From a PSU perspective- do they fly to all their games or do they bus to any of them now? If they only fly how much travel time are they adding, an hour, an hour & a half, if they come west more? Is it really that much difference than what they are doing now? It's not like NU is on the west coast.

My point is with all the air travel is the difference in actual travel time really that significant?

I think, and I must stress this is just me thinking, that he was referring to the access of most Big Ten schools (not all mind you). A major airport is very close to most Big Ten schools hence the availability of cheap and fast air travel.

I think, and I must stress this is just me thinking, that he was referring to the access of most Big Ten schools (not all mind you). A major airport is very close to most Big Ten schools hence the availability of cheap and fast air travel.

:yeah You can't fly into Waco or Lubbock unless you're in a 1920s bi-plane.

BOJ,

I was somewhat ignoring the cost differential, if NU is going from $10mil-ish to $20mil-is in revenue I'm sure the additional cost to fly the football team instead of bus them will be able to be covered. :lol:

It seems that many were worried about the travel times for NU & PSU, PSU more than NU if PSU was put into the OP's divisional breakdown. It seems that the actual time on the road would be less if NU is flying more and if PSU has to come west more it may add some time, but really how much was my question. Someone else posted that short of PSU the other schools in the Big Ten are closer than Austin is to Lincoln.

Ultimately, my point is that I don't think travel is going to be that big of an issue if NU & PSU are in the same division for FOOTBALL. More miles yes, but not that much more time and for NU those trips could be less time than the bus trips that they currently take are.

BOJ,

I was somewhat ignoring the cost differential, if NU is going from $10mil-ish to $20mil-is in revenue I'm sure the additional cost to fly the football team instead of bus them will be able to be covered. :lol:

It seems that many were worried about the travel times for NU & PSU, PSU more than NU if PSU was put into the OP's divisional breakdown. It seems that the actual time on the road would be less if NU is flying more and if PSU has to come west more it may add some time, but really how much was my question. Someone else posted that short of PSU the other schools in the Big Ten are closer than Austin is to Lincoln.

Ultimately, my point is that I don't think travel is going to be that big of an issue if NU & PSU are in the same division for FOOTBALL. More miles yes, but not that much more time and for NU those trips could be less time than the bus trips that they currently take are.

Well then, I agree with you :) I think people are making way too big of a deal about travel expenditures. PSU already gets on a plane for most football destinations, so do most Big Ten schools.

To be honest, I don't think PSU buses anywhere right now, that includes tOSU, which is the closest school. I really don't think it will be an issue for anyone at the end of the day. Will the increased revenue to Nebraska help? Without a doubt, but it may end up being cheaper to fly to Big Ten schools then busing to Big 12 schools. I am not a logistician, but am guessing they checked this stuff out.

Anyone have any idea what time frame they are talking about getting together and deciding the divisions, and schedules? They can't wait forever to do it...

End of the summer

Where did you get that if you don't mind me asking?

FWIW, all the Big Ten AD's are meeting sometime this week or next in Chicago to discuss these matters. Not sure when it'll get sorted out officially, but I do know that they're meeting before July 4th according to several articles from Big Ten country as well as OWH and LJS.