What is wrong with some people?

Last night my wife and I were having some drinks over at my good friends' new apartment with a couple other friends. We were doing the usual, watching TV, joking around, sharing stories. A few people went out on the balcony/deck at about midnight to have a cigarette and noticed that there was a kid on the balcony above them walking around. Seemed odd that there would still be kids up at that hour but nobody second guessed it. That is until the boy, approximately 3 or 4 years old, started calling out for his mommy. After several attempts by the kid, we got his attention from below and asked him where his mom was and he said she went to the gym. We asked if he could get back inside and he said no. Since it had been an hour since we noticed him outside, we decided to head upstairs and knock on the door, but there was no answer. It was getting late and my wife and I had to go pick up our kids from the sitter. So we left. I text my buddy for an update on the road and they decided to call the police. I got home and tried to text him again but he didn't respond. Tried again this morning and still no response. I figured they were probably still sleeping. So I waited and he just texted me 20 minutes ago saying that the "Mom" just showed up. The police were there, questioned her and then arrested her. They took the little boy to foster care. Un-freaking believable. We were assuming/hoping that there had to be a logical explanation as to why this kid was by himself on the balcony. We were wrong. I just can't believe that somebody would do something like that. Even in the best parts of town you have piece of crap people everywhere.

Wait, so he was on the balcony through the entire night? :blink:

Things like this make me sway more for the advocacy of a parenting license.

No, I guess I'll have to ask my friend, but I highly doubt it. When the police came last night I am sure they took the kid into custody/foster care. How they did it, I don't know. I assume they had the apartment management open the door. Then they waited for the mothers return.

I remember back in the '80's My best friend and I went home with a couple of girls we met at PO Pears..

One of them had a 3yr old Son left alone in her apartment in his crib...Alone.

We probably should have called CPS, but were just so discusted, we checked the kid over..he seemed ok other than needing a diaper change..but we just left..I think my buddy called her a skank or something.

This one last week seemed way worse.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/06/15/20100615surprise-mom-accused-punching-child-abrk.html

Surprise police: Mom accused of punching 11-year-old son

25 commentsby Jessica Duvall - Jun. 15, 2010 09:52 AM

The Arizona Republic

A 29-year-old mother was arrested on Friday after punching her 11-year old in the stomach as he tried to hug her in front of police and Child Protective Services.

According to court documents around 10 a.m. Friday police received a call from an 11-year-old boy. The boy said that his mother, who police suspect was mentally unstable, was packing and moving to California and not taking him or his 7-year-old brother with her.

The Arizona Republic is not releasing the mother's name to protect the identity of the children.

When police arrived at the apartment complex near the 16600 block of North Greasewood Street the mother confirmed that she planned on leaving the boys. She told police that she "was sick of her children" and that she wanted to "have fun and play" and that the kids ruined her life, said Sgt. Mark Ortega, a Surprise police spokesman

When CPS arrived the mother said she would sign anything to get away and start a new life, Ortega said.

The 11-year old tried to hug his mother and she punched him in the stomach and said she never wanted to see him again, according to court documents.

Police searched the home and found a pipe with marijuana residue on it on top of the TV in the living room, Ortega said. They also found two feet of clothes piled in the boys' room on the floor and the bed. The boy said he had been sleeping on the floor.

The 11-year-old told police that he has been fending for himself and his younger brother as his mother spends her money on alcohol and leaves them alone while she goes off with men, Ortega said.

The mother was arrested for aggravated assault, child neglect, two counts of disorderly conduct and possession of drug paraphernalia, Ortega said.

According to court documents, police suspect the mother had been drinking at the time of the incident and fell asleep for approximately 45 minutes. Both children tried waking her up and were unsuccessful. When she finally woke up, she started to yell at the children.

The children were taken by CPS and will be handed over to their biological father who lives in Phoenix, Ortega said.

This one last week seemed way worse.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/06/15/20100615surprise-mom-accused-punching-child-abrk.html

Surprise police: Mom accused of punching 11-year-old son

25 commentsby Jessica Duvall - Jun. 15, 2010 09:52 AM

The Arizona Republic

A 29-year-old mother was arrested on Friday after punching her 11-year old in the stomach as he tried to hug her in front of police and Child Protective Services.

According to court documents around 10 a.m. Friday police received a call from an 11-year-old boy. The boy said that his mother, who police suspect was mentally unstable, was packing and moving to California and not taking him or his 7-year-old brother with her.

The Arizona Republic is not releasing the mother's name to protect the identity of the children.

When police arrived at the apartment complex near the 16600 block of North Greasewood Street the mother confirmed that she planned on leaving the boys. She told police that she "was sick of her children" and that she wanted to "have fun and play" and that the kids ruined her life, said Sgt. Mark Ortega, a Surprise police spokesman

When CPS arrived the mother said she would sign anything to get away and start a new life, Ortega said.

The 11-year old tried to hug his mother and she punched him in the stomach and said she never wanted to see him again, according to court documents.

Police searched the home and found a pipe with marijuana residue on it on top of the TV in the living room, Ortega said. They also found two feet of clothes piled in the boys' room on the floor and the bed. The boy said he had been sleeping on the floor.

The 11-year-old told police that he has been fending for himself and his younger brother as his mother spends her money on alcohol and leaves them alone while she goes off with men, Ortega said.

The mother was arrested for aggravated assault, child neglect, two counts of disorderly conduct and possession of drug paraphernalia, Ortega said.

According to court documents, police suspect the mother had been drinking at the time of the incident and fell asleep for approximately 45 minutes. Both children tried waking her up and were unsuccessful. When she finally woke up, she started to yell at the children.

The children were taken by CPS and will be handed over to their biological father who lives in Phoenix, Ortega said.

If I were a cop, I think I would give that kid one solid shot at hitting the sh#t out of his mom. That is absolutely insane!! That kid didn't deserve any of that.

If I were a cop, I think I would give that kid one solid shot at hitting the sh#t out of his mom. That is absolutely insane!! That kid didn't deserve any of that.

You really think that kid would want to hit her back?

I'd be crushed.

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/arizona-mother-arrested-move-child­ren/story?id=10919821

ht_christina_muniz_100615_mn.jpg

An Arizona mom was arrested as she packed up for a future as a California stripper because she intended to leave her two young children behind, police said today.

Christina Muniz was arrested as she packed up for California with her boyfriend because she intended to leave her two young children behind, police said today.

And when her 11-year-old son tried to hug her before their separation, she made a fist and punched him in the stomach, according to police reports.

That's when the cops arrested her.

Police in Surprise, Ariz., were called to the house by Christina Muniz's 11-year-old son at 9 a.m. on June 11. He said his mother was leaving him behind along with his 6-year-old brother.

"The boy stated his mom is in the house packing with her boyfriend, and that she is going to California without them," Sgt. Mark Ortega, of the Surprise police department told ABC News.

"When he (the child) told her not to go, she said she was going to beat him. This is the call coming in from the child," Ortega said.

Related

When Adoption Isn't Happily Ever AfterRise in Child Abuse Called National 'Epidemic'Childhood Trauma May Shorten Life By 20 YearsPolice said the woman, 29, was abandoning her two boys because she said she was sick of them, and wanted to finally be able to pursue her dream of becoming a stripper.

When police arrived they were met by the 11-year-old, and they said that Muniz came out of their apartment allegedly laughing at her son, exclaiming she couldn't believe he called the police on her.

"She said she was tired of having the kids, she needed a break and didn't want them. She told the officer on the scene, Officer Robert Burtrum, 'Do what you need to do to get them out of here,'" Ortega said.

Muniz allegedly told the officer she needed to go out and play without them, he wrote in his report.

The officer took the 11-year-old a short distance away from Muniz to speak to him in private and the full scale of the alleged emotional abuse he and his brother were dealing with became clear, Ortega said.

"Burtrum asked Muniz if he could speak to the boys alone, and she told him it was fine and to take them when he was done," Ortega said.

"The boy told the officer that she was always telling him things like that, that she didn't want him, that he was ugly, that he had buckteeth and that she just wanted him to leave," Ortega said.

According to Ortega, when Burtrum asked the boy if he believed his mother would leave him like that, the boy told him yes.

Child Tells Police Mother Only Cares About 'Drinking Wine'

"He said all she cares about is her boyfriend and drinking wine," Ortega said.

Ortega said after Burtrum spoke to the boy in private, he found Muniz sitting at her dining room table drinking what he believed to be wine.

"She said it was the only way to cope with the kids," Ortega said.

The boy led the officer to his room, where Burtrum described in his report as finding the boy's bed covered in two feet of laundry. The 11-year-old allegedly told Burtrum he had no where to put the clothing and either slept on the floor or upstairs in his mother's room. When Burtrum went to inspect Muniz's room, he said he found a pipe with marijuana residue in it, the police report stated.

"The boy told Burtrum that she was always leaving them alone, that she was always mean and never cooked for them or helped them. He said she goes out at night and the next morning a different guy will leave the house," Ortega said.

When they returned downstairs, Burtrum said in his report he found Muniz asleep on her couch.

"The 11-year-old tried to wake her, and she yelled 'what the f do you want, I never want to see you again,'" Ortega said.

Child protective services arrived at the house and the 11-year-old told them he and his brother wanted to go stay with their father in Phoenix. The CPS presented Muniz with a temporary custody notice placing the children with the father, which she agreed to, Ortega said.

Police Say Muniz Punched Son As he Tried to Hug Her Goodbye

"When she saw the temporary custody notice, she looked at the 11-year-old and told him she never wanted to see him again, to never call her and that she would hopefully be in California," Ortega said. Despite that, as the CPS started to take the children away, the 11-year-old tried to hug his mother goodbye

"Christina made a fist with her right hand and she punched him in the stomach," Ortega said.

At that point police arrested her and charged her with possesing drug paraphernalia, disorderly conduct, and child neglect.

"She never showed any concern for the boys or remorse," Ortega said Burtrum wrote in his report.

"During her processing she said she smoked marijuana all the time, and that she was happy. She said she thought her boyfriend would now get a place with her and she could finally pursue her lifelong dream of being a stripper and making a lot of money," Ortega said.

"This is absolutely the worst I've ever heard of. We've removed a lot of children from parents, we have to sometimes," Ortega said.

"To see somebody so readily wanting to be so abusive, and to the very end the boy was looking for affection. To think he's endured this for his whole life, I hope he gets some normality somewhere," Ortega said.

Muniz appeared in court Monday, and according to police told the judge it was "all a big misunderstanding," and she denied she ever punched her son. She is being held on $20,000 bond and could not be reached for comment.

Interesting one source with held the name to protect the children, then the other had her picture and name.

Locally a 21 year old hung himself in the woods on Tuesday. The story was on page one and that his name was withheld for privacy reasons. Turn to the obituary page: "John Smith" died suddenly Tuesday at age 21. . . He loved being in nature . . .

I am sure some other Board members will back me up when I say this happens way to often, and the parent(s) usually don't get caught. In this case I see HHS/CPS making her do parenting classes, and the kid will be placed with a relative and mother will have the kid back in less than 30 days. dedhoarse

Maybe she will think twice before doing it again, because she knows someone is going to watch her and turn her in.