Transitioning the Offense to a Florida-Spread optionesque type?

With all these firecrackers getting on the roster, it is hard for me to believe we will stay under center. What are you guys thinking? Bo said he would like to be like Florida(but better) on the offensive side of the ball, yet we keep Watson and get a stern promise we will return to a strong running game. I understand we can utilize these guys under center, but what the heck are they telling these guys to get them to come here? It would be hard for me to be a dual-threat QB and choose Nebraska(don't jump on my back-you guys saw the offense last year) As of late, have we just been using what we had to work with- mean while Bo plans to spread the field with his recruits?? What are we going to see in the future? aye aye aye!

I thought he was looking for something similar to Alabama? I dont know what to think. What i do know, we better get an offensive identity soon otherwise we are going to struggle getting playmakers. Kids need to know what we are going to be doing so they can see it in action in primetime. We know what our defensive identity is........badass. Hopefully this years offense will be.....badassest.

i thought bad assets weren't good... :LOLtartar

I kind of always thought we'd eventually evolve into an offense somewhat similar to Alabama last year and kind of like the Baltimore Ravens when they won the Super Bowl. It would be an offense with a strong running game run by a QB that wouldn't give the game away, but was capable of doing a little throwing down field.

Shatel: (For what it's/he's worth)

"A few years ago, I had asked Tom Osborne which teams he liked to watch. Nebraska's winningest coach said, “Utah. I really enjoy their offense. It reminds me of some things we did. And there's a couple things where I said, ‘I wish I'd thought of that.'”

Osborne was referring to Meyer's zone-read, where the quarterback is in the shotgun, takes the snap, reads the defensive end and decides whether to hand off or run through an open gap."

Osborne likes the spread and zone read. In the defense-dominated 90's (and prior) common football thought was that the harsh weather in late October and after would negate any real success in a pass-happy offense. Since Osborne's day, though, things have changed. Linemen are blocking downfield far earlier in screen plays, PI has had a lot more focus (granted, offensive PI as well), and what exactly constitutes holding has changed drastically over the last decade. Add all this together, and we have TT, MU, KU, OU, UT, aTm, OSU, and even Baylor taking advantage, cold weather or not.

Now, I'm not saying that Osborne is directing Watson or the offense in any way. However, it is public knowledge that Watson did go to him last year, and Osborne simply gave them some film from the option glory days. I will say that if I was in Watson's position, I'd put 2 and 2 together - what is working, and what kind of athletes do I have that can make it work.

The Holiday Bowl and the Spring Game are exhibits A and B for me as to what we will be seeing. We saw true triple option out of the gun, zone read, QB Iso, Midline, and the Wildcat. It looks like that though we want to spread the field (even wider lineman splits), we want to be a run first team, and play action out of it, good old Osborne staples.

"A few years ago, I had asked Tom Osborne which teams he liked to watch. Nebraska's winningest coach said, “Utah. I really enjoy their offense. It reminds me of some things we did. And there's a couple things where I said, ‘I wish I'd thought of that.'”

Osborne was referring to Meyer's zone-read, where the quarterback is in the shotgun, takes the snap, reads the defensive end and decides whether to hand off or run through an open gap."

Osborne likes the spread and zone read. In the defense-dominated 90's (and prior) common football thought was that the harsh weather in late October and after would negate any real success in a pass-happy offense. Since Osborne's day, though, things have changed. Linemen are blocking downfield far earlier in screen plays, PI has had a lot more focus (granted, offensive PI as well), and what exactly constitutes holding has changed drastically over the last decade. Add all this together, and we have TT, MU, KU, OU, UT, aTm, OSU, and even Baylor taking advantage, cold weather or not.

Now, I'm not saying that Osborne is directing Watson or the offense in any way. However, it is public knowledge that Watson did go to him last year, and Osborne simply gave them some film from the option glory days. I will say that if I was in Watson's position, I'd put 2 and 2 together - what is working, and what kind of athletes do I have that can make it work.

The Holiday Bowl and the Spring Game are exhibits A and B for me as to what we will be seeing. We saw true triple option out of the gun, zone read, QB Iso, Midline, and the Wildcat. It looks like that though we want to spread the field (even wider lineman splits), we want to be a run first team, and play action out of it, good old Osborne staples.

Oh, what an excellent post.

A "run first" and kill them with PA. Please, please let it be true!!

Lastly, "please" tell me no more horizonatal passes ok?

Oh, what an excellent post.

A "run first" and kill them with PA. Please, please let it be true!!

Lastly, "please" tell me no more horizonatal passes ok?

the ones where the get picked(or pulled off the turf) for touchdowns