Alonzo Lewis

Talked with Coach Papuchis (via email) and he assured me that they are still heavily pursuing this kid. I teach at his HS, and although he verbally committed to LSU, he is a very SOFT commit. He ran a 4.39 at LSU's camp last summer (after his sophomore season) and wowed at other camps (one of LSU's coaches called him the best athlete he's ever seen); however he was injured for much of his junior season and didn't play much. Also our school runs the Wing-T so this affects his stats. He also has received an offer from Arkansas over the past couple of weeks. After this summer's camps and his play in the fall, his stock will surely rise. Definitely will be a 4-star after the fall. Will play DB or rover in college.

Alonzo is a legit 6'3", 200+ and he is ripped. There have been a lot of great players come out of this area -- Corey Webster (NY Giants) graduated from here. We have another safety named Jontrae Gordon (6', 190) who will be a junior this season, who reminds me a lot of LaRon Landry (Redskins) who was another local product. He started as a freshman, and had some highlight reel hits that year. Last year he battled injuries and didn't play much. He should definitely start showing up on people's radar after this fall. I told Papuchis about him as well.

Sounds like FLU's not a coach, just a teacher - in which case I'd imagine it's not too different from a relative like an uncle or aunt coming on here and sharing some info with us. Don't quote me on that though. Interesting news to hear; sounds like a stud athlete.

Alonzo is a legit 6'3", 200+ and he is ripped. There have been a lot of great players come out of this area -- Corey Webster (NY Giants) graduated from here. We have another safety named Jontrae Gordon (6', 190) who will be a junior this season, who reminds me a lot of LaRon Landry (Redskins) who was another local product. He started as a freshman, and had some highlight reel hits that year. Last year he battled injuries and didn't play much. He should definitely start showing up on people's radar after this fall. I told Papuchis about him as well.

Good work, man. People underestimate the power of spoken word in the recruiting game. Who knows... all it may take get the coaches to actually look at the next Mike Brown or Grant Wistrom is someone telling a coach they need to consider them. It'd be awesome if you got the coaches attention in regards to some good athletes. Heck, if you need to, send out some tape of a kid if you really think it's worth it. It'd feel pretty dang awesome if one committed and you were the one who first got the coaches attention. More and more nowadays, kids are getting their names out the initially by sending out their own tape.

Sounds like FLU's not a coach, just a teacher - in which case I'd imagine it's not too different from a relative like an uncle or aunt coming on here and sharing some info with us. Don't quote me on that though. Interesting news to hear; sounds like a stud athlete.

I don't think FLU did anything wrong, just not sure that JP was able to discuss it.

But after reading the rules, I think we're okay.

13.10.2 Comments Before Signing.

Before the signing of a prospective student-athlete to a National Letter of Intent or an institution's written offer of admission and/or financial aid, a member institution may comment publicly only to the extent of confirming its recruitment of the prospective student-athlete. The institution may not comment generally about the prospective student-athlete's ability or the contribution that the prospective student-athlete might make to the institution's team; further, the institution is precluded from commenting in any manner as to the likelihood of the prospective student-athlete's signing with that institution. Violations of this bylaw do not affect a prospective student-athlete's eligibility and are considered institutional violations per Constitution 2.8.1. (Revised: 1/14/97)

I didn't think coaches were allowed to discuss potential recruits? dry.gif

He's not.

Anyone can email the coaches, or more likely a secretary, and pass along a name of a recruit they should keep an eye on. You will almost always get a reply, thanking you for the help, and they will tell you they will look into it or something of the sort.