A Look at Past Classes - 2006

Great stuff, Andy! I agree with most, but think you’re a bit harsh on Andre Jones. The guy was our starting CB in 2006 after getting on campus only a few weeks before. (Bowman blew a knee, remember.) Jones had 74 tackles and 7 pass breakups for the season, both second on the Blackshirts. He had 52 solo tackles, most on the team. If we wouldn’t have had Andre Jones when Bowman blew his knee out we would have been boned. The cupboard was pretty much bare of CBs back then.

I'm not trying to quibble with you nuance but I think he wasn't harsh enough on Jones. :bang:lol: I honestly can't think of anyone else in this class that pissed me off more than Andre Jones. You are right that we would have been in a tough position without him but I would tend to believe any walk-on that could run a sub 4.7 would have done about what Jones did. I also tend to believe that the reason he had 74 tackles and 7 pass breakups is b/c every team loved to throw at him. Prince's numbers last year weren't all that great b/c teams wouldn't throw in his direction.

I'm just saying that Andre Jones sucked. But you the bomb nuance! :worship

Great stuff, Andy! I agree with most, but think you’re a bit harsh on Andre Jones. The guy was our starting CB in 2006 after getting on campus only a few weeks before. (Bowman blew a knee, remember.) Jones had 74 tackles and 7 pass breakups for the season, both second on the Blackshirts. He had 52 solo tackles, most on the team. If we wouldn’t have had Andre Jones when Bowman blew his knee out we would have been boned. The cupboard was pretty much bare of CBs back then.

I'm not trying to quibble with you nuance but I think he wasn't harsh enough on Jones. :bang:lol: I honestly can't think of anyone else in this class that pissed me off more than Andre Jones. You are right that we would have been in a tough position without him but I would tend to believe any walk-on that could run a sub 4.7 would have done about what Jones did. I also tend to believe that the reason he had 74 tackles and 7 pass breakups is b/c every team loved to throw at him. Prince's numbers last year weren't all that great b/c teams wouldn't throw in his direction.

I still have nightmares of those Cosgrove secondaries. I think if you took Prince as he is right now and replaced both corners and both safeties with just him, he's have a better season than the 2007 Nebraska secondary. :facepalm:

My thoughts this year for the Safety positions will be Smith and Gomes winning them, but Gomes will slide over to the Dime position and Rickey will come in whenever Nebraska uses 6+ DBs. He'll contribute, just not as much as he probably would've last year (where he would've been the 7th DB and came in on the Dime downs when Dennard was hurt, moving Gomes outside).

I wouldn't be surprised to see West come in over Rickey.

I still have nightmares of those Cosgrove secondaries. I think if you took Prince as he is right now and replaced both corners and both safeties with just him, he's have a better season than the 2007 Nebraska secondary. :facepalm:

No arguments here about the 2007 defense. By any measure it was the worst NU has ever had——the low tide of Blackshirt history——and Cosgrove and others have plenty of blame to shoulder for the crappy 2007 D. I’m just saying Andre Jones got thrown into the thick of battle after only a few weeks on campus, and after missing the previous season out with an injury. Can’t throw player under the bus because his coaches were entirely devoid of competency.

But you right about one thing. I am da bomb!

heh heh.

My thoughts this year for the Safety positions will be Smith and Gomes winning them, but Gomes will slide over to the Dime position and Rickey will come in whenever Nebraska uses 6+ DBs. He'll contribute, just not as much as he probably would've last year (where he would've been the 7th DB and came in on the Dime downs when Dennard was hurt, moving Gomes outside).

I wouldn't be surprised to see West come in over Rickey.

Don't count out Austin Cassidy. Also hearing really good things about both Corey Cooper and Harvey Jackson.