What the Big 10 Must Do to Overcome SEC

Call me a skeptic, but the NC game last year wasn't even played in a bowl game. It was played in the SEC Championship game. I'm not sure any other conference taking their best team could have beatean the top two SEC teams. If I had to bet on which conference could take away the top spot from the SEC, I'd place my bet on the ACC or Big 12 before ever putting money on the Big 10 if there's no more alignments. For 2011, I'd say Ohio State has the best chance to beat a SEC team in the title game. However, I wouldn't put any money on them.

I disagree, Colt looked fairly comfortable before being injured in that game and with him in it, who knows what the outcome would have been.

As for the original question as to what the Big 10 must do to overcome the SEC my answer would be to "completely sell out their academics for athletics, specifically football".

My Proposal, Global Warming. Then it will be too hot down there and perfect weather in Big 10 country. That is until the North Atlantic Deep Water Current gives out, then your conference will be under a glacier and all your recruits will belong to us ;)

What must we do? Allow oversigning like the SEC. They don't have to worry about misses in recruiting. They just oversign, and boot from the program the kids who can't play. Recruiting gets pretty easy when you never have to worry about misses, just run off the kids you don't want. In a 4 year period, they can sign enough kids to have 5 1/2 recruiting classes go through their program, while everyone else has 4. Easy to see why there is a talent discrepancy. What did Ole Miss sign 2 years ago, 37 kids? Talk about a loophole.

No, I don't want the Big 10 to allow that kind of operation. I hate the idea. I think not renewing a kid because it turns out he isn't a D1 player is your problem for mis-evaluating him, and you honor the scholarship promise. If the kid chooses to transfer to a lower level, that's fine. I just think it's a very slimy process to do what SEC programs have been doing - oversigning and then running off the kids who aren't good enough.