Am I the only one not a fan of Shawn Watson?

When Watson was held over from the previous staff I thought it was a good move. He fielded an excellent product in 2008. Last year was a mixture of injuries and a decided effort to let the defense win the game when it became obvious the offense couldn't. I'm not saying I even agreed with the strategy, but there were other games where another turnover would have netted us an 8-win season. He called a brilliant game against Arizona. That team was flat run over by both coordinators.

This season will cement Watson's immediate future at least in the minds of fans. I think the offense has something to prove this year. If they phone in another season like last year, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a shakeup. I really hope it doesn't come to that, but you can't allow the Brothers' Pelini defensive genius to be wasted on an offense that can't put two touchdowns on the board.

Really? :facepalm: What great or even good defense did that team beat? Missou? Oklahoma?

When it comes down to it Callahan/Watson offenses have lost to every great defense they ever played.

Even the bowl game how many times did Nebraska have to settle on a FG?

I'd take a 12th ranked offense over 99th

My family and friends know very well about how I feel when it comes to Watson's play calling. I think every game last season other than the Arizona game you could hear me bitching about Watson. I never understood his logic. He was the most predictable play caller in college football last year. I would call before each play what was going to happen and I think I was right about 75% of the time. I don't know how many times we ran the same run play in the same formation in the same game when it didn't work the first 4 or 5 times. I don't know how many times we did a QB Draw on 3rd & 6 that failed. I don't neccesarily think our offense was as bad as the stats show, because you can't do anything without good play calling.

Now, his play calling is the only real problem I have with him. I think he does a great job in preparing the kids and bringing them up to their full potential. He was pretty conservative in the bowl game but atleast he tried something new that work. Every other game he was doing something over and over that didn't work. Atleast in the bowl game what he was doing over and over worked. The Arizona game has got me excited for this upcoming year and I can't wait to see what Helu Jr. and Burkhead are going to be able to do. But if Watson comes back with his approach that he took last season then it's going to be a disappointing year because of the high expectations.

Am I the only one who think the play calling shouldn't be in Watson's hands? I know there probably really isn't anyone else to take the duty.

I understand your issues and concerns over Watson, as we have all shared the same ideas with each other for many months. I guarantee you at least 100 of my posts have been dedicated towards questioning Watson.

But, I think there is something here that you are forgetting. In 2008, we had a Top 25 offense. We scored 30+ points in 10 games under Watson's tutelage in 2008.

Now, am I saying that that I'm a 100% believer in Watson? No, I'm not. I have a problem with the fact that it seems to take his players an extremely long amount of time to understand the playbook. I have a problem with the size of the playbook that he had to trim down. I also have a problem with, in quite a few situations, his playing calling is predictable and the execution just isn't there. But, more than anything, my biggest problem is that the offense doesn't have the same fire and tenacity as the defense, and it is extremely obvious.

2010 is Watson's make or break year. Watson must have a successful season. His offense doesn't have to necessarily light the scoreboard up, but his offense HAS to be able to score in "need-to-score" situations and his offense has to showcase better execution. I believe Pelini will look for a replacement if Watson's offense performs at the low level it did last year.

When Watson was held over from the previous staff I thought it was a good move. He fielded an excellent product in 2008. Last year was a mixture of injuries and a decided effort to let the defense win the game when it became obvious the offense couldn't. I'm not saying I even agreed with the strategy, but there were other games where another turnover would have netted us an 8-win season. He called a brilliant game against Arizona. That team was flat run over by both coordinators.

This season will cement Watson's immediate future at least in the minds of fans. I think the offense has something to prove this year. If they phone in another season like last year, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a shakeup. I really hope it doesn't come to that, but you can't allow the Brothers' Pelini defensive genius to be wasted on an offense that can't put two touchdowns on the board.

Really? :facepalm: What great or even good defense did that team beat? Missou? Oklahoma?

When it comes down to it Callahan/Watson offenses have lost to every great defense they ever played.

It's not hard being 12th when you havent played anyone. Look at the OU game where NU stats look great, but the game was over before the second quarter.

There used to be a guy on the radio who kept stats of NFL games where

A team that had a QB throw for more then 300 yards would most likely be on the losing end compared to team that had a 100 yard rusher.

The reasoning is that the team that's behind throws every down and take more chances because they have no choice and are compiling yards between the 20's

Remember a decade ago NU played a team that had a receiver catch a ungodly amount of yards against NU in Lincoln.

The Bulldogs, behind the explosive combination of quarterback Tim Rattay and wide receiver Troy Edwards, closed the Husker lead to 35-21. Edwards set an NCAA record with 405 yards on 21 catches, while Rattay completed 46 of 68 passes for 590 yards. Edwards' receiving yards broke the previous NCAA mark of 363 yards held by UNLV's Randy Gatewood against Idaho. Edwards' 21 catches were two shy of Gatewood's NCAA record 23 receptions.

NU had a 35-6 halftime lead and the game was over so did those stats mean anything? I'm betting they finished in the top 15 that year to.

Stats do not tell the whole story

• Fire 1

100% agreed.

The WCO fluffball experiment has been a total and complete disaster. Yeah, it looks great in two scenarios....

1. vs SunBelt quality teams

2. racking up boatloads of garbage yards/points

But vs a capable defense time after time it's simply inept. Why the great love with this dink-ball offensive scheme I'll never understand. The endless 3 & outs? Those truly awesome horizontal passes? Zac Lee running the option (S. Frost must cry his eyes out watching that)?

NU in the most desperate way needs an identity. We have to to excel at "something" or we'll just be another chapter in SW's mediocre (at best) resume.

It's not hard being 12th when you havent played anyone. Look at the OU game where NU stats look great, but the game was over before the second quarter.

A team that had a QB throw for more then 300 yards would most likely be on the losing end compared to team that had a 100 yard rusher.

The reasoning is that the team that's behind throws every down and take more chances because they have no choice and are compiling yards between the 20's

Remember a decade ago NU played a team that had a receiver catch a ungodly amount of yards against NU in Lincoln.

The Bulldogs, behind the explosive combination of quarterback Tim Rattay and wide receiver Troy Edwards, closed the Husker lead to 35-21. Edwards set an NCAA record with 405 yards on 21 catches, while Rattay completed 46 of 68 passes for 590 yards. Edwards' receiving yards broke the previous NCAA mark of 363 yards held by UNLV's Randy Gatewood against Idaho. Edwards' 21 catches were two shy of Gatewood's NCAA record 23 receptions.

NU had a 35-6 halftime lead and the game was over so did those stats mean anything? I'm betting they finished in the top 15 that year to.

Yes, we understand that, and thank you for the anecdote, but you're lying if you say you wouldn't prefer the 08 offense over last year's.

Yes, we understand that, and thank you for the anecdote, but you're lying if you say you wouldn't prefer the 08 offense over last year's.

Their really the same offense and your lying to yourself if you think the outcome against Texas or V tech would have changed if Nebraska still had Ganz at the helm last year since they both had great defenses. I'm willing to say the Iowa State game would have been a win.

Texas Tech? probably same outcome. Remember Ganz scored more td's against the NU defense then any opponents QB.

Their really the same offense and your lying to yourself if you think the outcome against Texas or V tech would have changed if Nebraska still had Ganz at the helm last year since they both had great defenses. I'm willing to say the Iowa State game would have been a win.

Texas Tech? probably same outcome. Remember Ganz scored more td's against the NU defense then any opponents QB.

So you really think if we had the 08 offense with last year's defense the only difference in record is a win over ISU? Ganz couldn't have done better than 17 completions for 175 yds, 34% completion, 0 TDs, and 5 INTs against UT and VaTech? I think you might be in the minority here.

I think the '08 offense would have been leaps and bounds above last year's regardless of what defenses the '08 played. You can't get much worse than last years.

yep...08 offense with the 09 defense and you have yourself a national title...we were still in the game against tech going into our first drive of the 4th quarter if we could have scored on that possession...08 i believe could and would have done so

So you really think if we had the 08 offense with last year's defense the only difference in record is a win over ISU? Ganz couldn't have done better than 17 completions for 175 yds, 34% completion, 0 TDs, and 5 INTs against UT and VaTech? I think you might be in the minority here.

Nope I have complete faith in Watson and Ganz to turn a close game into a blowout for the other team. Example Ganz OU 2008, Missou 2008, Colorado 2007 he even tried Clemson 2008 but good thing they were a 7-5 team and not a great defense.

Virginia Tech got on the board first when Virgil blocked a Dan Titchener punt for a safey with 8:35 remaining in the first quarter. After the Husker defense forced a three-and-out following the free kick, Macho Harris picked off a Ganz pass and returned it to the NU 5. Three plays later, Darren Evans found the end zone on a one-yard touchdown run to give the Hokies an early 9-0 lead.

Missouri's high-powered offense operated with machine-like precision, as the No. 4 Tigers ended a 30-year losing streak in Lincoln with a 52-17 victory over Nebraska on Homecoming at Memorial Stadium on Saturday night. How does a team that rated in the top 15 in offense not score more then 17 at home in a night game?

On NU's possession, Ganz overshot wide receiver Nate Swift on his first attempt, before running from heavy pressure on the Huskers' second play of the drive. Ganz flipped the ball up the field in an attempt to avoid the sack, but his pass was intercepted by Texas Tech to end the game and NU's hopes of an impressive upset. The interception was the only turnover of the game by either team and it ended an otherwise impressive performance by Ganz.

Norman, Okla. - No. 4 Oklahoma capitalized on a pair of early mistakes by Nebraska and rolled to a 62-28 victory over the Huskers at Gaylord Family-Memorial Stadium on Saturday.

This is what this offense does.

Nope I have complete faith in Watson and Ganz to turn a close game into a blowout for the other team. Example Ganz OU 2008, Missou 2008, Colorado 2007 he even tried Clemson 2008 but good thing they were a 7-5 team and not a great defense.

Virginia Tech got on the board first when Virgil blocked a Dan Titchener punt for a safey with 8:35 remaining in the first quarter. After the Husker defense forced a three-and-out following the free kick, Macho Harris picked off a Ganz pass and returned it to the NU 5. Three plays later, Darren Evans found the end zone on a one-yard touchdown run to give the Hokies an early 9-0 lead.

Missouri's high-powered offense operated with machine-like precision, as the No. 4 Tigers ended a 30-year losing streak in Lincoln with a 52-17 victory over Nebraska on Homecoming at Memorial Stadium on Saturday night. How does a team that rated in the top 15 in offense not score more then 17 at home in a night game?

On NU's possession, Ganz overshot wide receiver Nate Swift on his first attempt, before running from heavy pressure on the Huskers' second play of the drive. Ganz flipped the ball up the field in an attempt to avoid the sack, but his pass was intercepted by Texas Tech to end the game and NU's hopes of an impressive upset. The interception was the only turnover of the game by either team and it ended an otherwise impressive performance by Ganz.

Norman, Okla. - No. 4 Oklahoma capitalized on a pair of early mistakes by Nebraska and rolled to a 62-28 victory over the Huskers at Gaylord Family-Memorial Stadium on Saturday.

Ok, so you definitely are in the minority. The 08 Huskers as a team were aeons behind those teams you sited- orange bowl champions Virginia Tech, Missouri's best team ever featuring heisman finalist Chase Daniel, NCAA all-purpose yards leader Jeremy Maclin, and Mackey award winning TE Chase Coffman, Texas Tech featuring Heisman finalist Graham Harrell and 2 time biletnikoff winner Michael Crabtree, went 11-2 in one of the stongest divisions in football, and of course, Oklahoma, the most prolific scoring offense of ALL TIME. All of this in Bo's first year as HC. These teams were "out of NU's league" so to speak.

FWIW, Clemson was the 2nd best defense we played against in 2008 behind Virginia Tech. Another thing too was Bo used Clemson's defense as a pregame motivator in his locker room speech saying the media was hyping up Clemson's defense. It was his way to get his own defense to step up, and indeed they did.

I love all of this crap about Watson. Did anyone not realize how banged up we were on the OL last season? What about losing a huge part of your offense before the season even started? What about the injuries to Burkhead and Helu? What about Zac Lee's arm? It was shot; he couldnt get a clean grip on the ball. He tore what is thought of as the ACL of your arm. Would you be giving as much sh#t to a RB that tore his ACL as you would Zac Lee and Watson? No.

Bo pulled the leash on Watson awful tight after the Iowa State game. The staff knew what had to be done and that was to chuck the egos and simplify the offense, play field position and let the defense win us games.

Honestly if we had Joe Ganz I think we almost definitely win those games and maybe we are in the National Championship. With so many close losses having a QB like Joe Ganz would have made a big difference. Look at the stats between him and Lee. There is no comparison.