Sarah Palin - The New Dan Quayle?

Sarah Palin never ceases to amaze me with her stupidity.

Bush was stupid too....... stupid enough to become the most powerful man in the world.

When people call Politician X "stupid," that's a relative amount of stupid, right? Because there's no way a Sarah Palin, a George Bush, a Barack Obama, or any other official holding office higher than State Senator is truly stupid. Dan Quayle, for as much flak as he got, was a brilliant man. He just had a propensity for saying the wrong thing, and they roasted him for it every time.

Like these people or not, they're not stupid. They run our lives, so if they really are stupid, how dumb does it make us for following them? :LOLtartar

• Fire 1

You are so right about this. You can't be stupid to make it to the highest office of the land and the highest office in your state. You can't be stupid to make it to U.S. Senator or U.S. House of Representative. How can you be stupid -- you would never get anywhere close to those offices if you are dumb. It's a challenge enough to get elected to a local office. Think of how much more difficult it is to get elected to the U.S. level.

Dan Quayle is stupid because he was careless over a misspelled word? I would say that was a lack of concentration, not stupidity. How many smart people have you seen make a typo?

Politician are what they are: Power hungry control freaks! It's the personal satisfaction of ruling others for their own personal selves. It's never about what's best for the people. It's not about serving the people. It's about serving themselves. It's a darn shame, but it is what it is.

I want to add that some politicians speak better than others. That doesn't make them smarter and better. All politicians one time or another have misspoken. Some politicians are just more comfortable in front of a microphone such as Kennedy, Reagan, Clinton and Obama.

It was apparent that G.W. wasn't comfortable with public speaking, and he was pretty bad at it. But the man was hardly stupid. He made it to the highest office of the land for crying out loud! If he was dumb, he would had never owned the title of President of the United States. No way!

+1, knapp, but I disagree somewhat. You CAN be stupid and still be elected to be a politician. The people who say "Bush is stupid, Quayle is stupid", are wrong - Bush is unfairly portrayed IMO, and is actually a very intelligent man. But I don't want to blanket cover all politicians with that statement, because being a moderately intelligent and functional human being doesn't save you from also being mind-boggling-ly ignorant and stupid, which many politicans are. I'm sure they are well educated and sharp-witted, but nonetheless...

Thanks to the teleprompter. Have you ever heard him speak without it? It's frightening. The left would KILL any Republican that has his skillset (or lack thereof) when speaking.

This is a typical character assassination you hear from "the other side" when the OTHER other side is in power. If you believe Obama can't speak without a teleprompter you probably believe Dick Cheney was really running the whole show and Bush was a figurehead, or some other such nonsense propaganda the Left was putting out when Bush was president. It's all bunk.

While some of that is true, I have heard Obama speak without the teleprompter, and he is not as fluid, eloquent, or articulate as he is when he has the teleprompter.

Neither was Reagan. Neither was Clinton. Bringing this up doesn't prove anything other than the fact that, like most public speakers, Obama doesn't do as well off script. You're making no point here, but you're repeating a typical hack job against the Democrat president that you'll hear from the Right. Google "Obama without teleprompter" and look at the number of hits you get.

Free your mind from partisan politics and realize it's not about which party you support, it's about you and me, regular joes, who are getting screwed by the Obamas and the Palins and the Bush's and the Clintons. There's no point in all of this.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. I could not agree with the bolded part any more. :horns2

Bush was stupid too....... stupid enough to become the most powerful man in the world.

When people call Politician X "stupid," that's a relative amount of stupid, right? Because there's no way a Sarah Palin, a George Bush, a Barack Obama, or any other official holding office higher than State Senator is truly stupid. Dan Quayle, for as much flak as he got, was a brilliant man. He just had a propensity for saying the wrong thing, and they roasted him for it every time.

Like these people or not, they're not stupid. They run our lives, so if they really are stupid, how dumb does it make us for following them?

Again, could not agree with you more on the bolded part.

So, are you saying that they are evil and are hell-bent on the destruction of our own country?

Also, have you been following the budget crisis that Omaha is facing and the proposed "solutions" by Jim Suttle? I'm not sure if his proposal is birthed out of stupidity, or plain evil.

So, are you saying that they are evil and are hell-bent on the destruction of our own country?

I just think they're in it for themselves, and damn the consequences of their actions. I've been preaching the "go Independent" agenda for years now, because Democrat or Republican, they don't care about us. The oil disaster in the Gulf is a perfect example of this - both Republican and Democrat presidents have had the opportunity to require greater safety and better oversight of these jokers for decades now, but because Big Oil is also a big campaign contributor, they're let off the hook. When these companies are making billions of dollars per quarter just in profit, they can afford to put a safety well on each oil field "just in case," but of course they don't because nobody makes them.

And I haven't been following Omaha's budget issues much. I know there's some big row over police and fire benefits, but I haven't heard of Suttle's solutions to the problems. I don't watch local news much.

I just think they're in it for themselves, and damn the consequences of their actions. I've been preaching the "go Independent" agenda for years now, because Democrat or Republican, they don't care about us. The oil disaster in the Gulf is a perfect example of this - both Republican and Democrat presidents have had the opportunity to require greater safety and better oversight of these jokers for decades now, but because Big Oil is also a big campaign contributor, they're let off the hook. When these companies are making billions of dollars per quarter just in profit, they can afford to put a safety well on each oil field "just in case," but of course they don't because nobody makes them.

Unfortunately, being Independent won't solve this problem, either. Money talks, and they can buy favors.

And I haven't been following Omaha's budget issues much. I know there's some big row over police and fire benefits, but I haven't heard of Suttle's solutions to the problems. I don't watch local news much.

Essentially, instead of making tough decisions, making cuts, and standing firm on union negotiations, he has proposed numerous tax increases including increased wheel tax, property tax, and a dining tax. I think that the total increase is something like 9-11% per year on tax paying Omahans. He asks for Omahans to suggest solutions, but dismisses every single one.

Even though he is in a tough position, he is an absolute disaster. Those who voted for him (or didn't vote at all) should be ashamed.

Unfortunately, being Independent won't solve this problem, either. Money talks, and they can buy favors.

No longer supporting these people, deposing them from power, sure couldn't hurt. By continuing to identify ourselves as Democrat or Republican we keep these political machines in power, and they get to keep doing what they're doing. Not only does that not solve the problem, it helps perpetuate it.

Let me rephrase that, I can't believe the stupid things she says sometimes. Granted, everyone says stupid things. Her sayings just seem to be a bit ridiculous.

No longer supporting these people, deposing them from power, sure couldn't hurt. By continuing to identify ourselves as Democrat or Republican we keep these political machines in power, and they get to keep doing what they're doing. Not only does that not solve the problem, it helps perpetuate it.

I like what you have to say knapplc. The question is, how do we get people to disassociate from these parties? Too many people cling to one side or the other and don't use their own brains to decide for themselves on what they think is the right or wrong way to solve an issue.

Let me rephrase that, I can't believe the stupid things she says sometimes. Granted, everyone says stupid things. Her sayings just seem to be a bit ridiculous.

I like what you have to say knapplc. The question is, how do we get people to disassociate from these parties? Too many people cling to one side or the other and don't use their own brains to decide for themselves on what they think is the right or wrong way to solve an issue.

I wish I knew. I had an epiphany about 15 years ago and that changed my mind forever. Change like this has to be internal, and I don't know how to get people to recognize and internalize the need for that change.

I was an early fan of Palin. Her home spun, blue collar conservatism appealed to me (nice cans didn't hurt either). I intially saw her as very raw politically and in terms of public speaking, I assumed she would mature into the role. As a conservative, I supprt her campaigning for others, but if she has any aspirations for the white house, I'd have to vote elsewhere.

I think most peoples' public estimation of other peoples' intelligence tends to be way off base. I would assume most presidents are like most people, that is mostly pretty average. The public perception however is offen swayed mostly by media. How is Quale an idiot for a few gaffs and Biden is just a tad eccentric. Really?

I've also heard enough of this well, he went to Harvard or Yale, I have to say, if my dad had the cash, I could of gone there too.

Now, we do have opportunities to do something about these parties, I have attended some 911 seminars and certainly read alot about the other various movements cropping up. The press seems content to paint the Tea Party thing as just a right wing freak movement, but I will tell you, the movement is in an embrionic state, it is not a unified ideology or even a group of entirely like minded people. You have the chance to shape the future of what may be the next viable political party. Will you continue to whine about the evils of the Dems and Pubs or are you ready to get off you a** and get involved?

I was an early fan of Palin. Her home spun, blue collar conservatism appealed to me (nice cans didn't hurt either). I intially saw her as very raw politically and in terms of public speaking, I assumed she would mature into the role. As a conservative, I supprt her campaigning for others, but if she has any aspirations for the white house, I'd have to vote elsewhere.

I think most peoples' public estimation of other peoples' intelligence tends to be way off base. I would assume most presidents are like most people, that is mostly pretty average. The public perception however is offen swayed mostly by media. How is Quale an idiot for a few gaffs and Biden is just a tad eccentric. Really?

I've also heard enough of this well, he went to Harvard or Yale, I have to say, if my dad had the cash, I could of gone there too.

Now, we do have opportunities to do something about these parties, I have attended some 911 seminars and certainly read alot about the other various movements cropping up. The press seems content to paint the Tea Party thing as just a right wing freak movement, but I will tell you, the movement is in an embrionic state, it is not a unified ideology or even a group of entirely like minded people. You have the chance to shape the future of what may be the next viable political party. Will you continue to whine about the evils of the Dems and Pubs or are you ready to get off you a** and get involved?

I doubt that you could have made Law Review at Harvard Law though . . . lord knows I couldn't.

I doubt that you could have made Law Review at Harvard Law though . . . lord knows I couldn't.

Agreed, I'm not slighting BO just the idea that merelly attending these schools makes one a genius. Someone's got to finish last in every class.

Being book smart and having a grasp on what works in the real world are two different things. I don't think anyone is challenging the former but the latter.