Top 50 Sports Jerks

NUance

10. Tiger Woods: On some planets, having numerous girlfriends while married is cherished. On Earth, not so much.

9. Bob Irsay: A coward who moved the Colts under the cover of darkness.

8. Ben Roethlisberger: First-time entrant into the jerk scene but well earned.

7. Lawrence Phillips: Scoundrel.

6. Tim Donaghy: The more you hear about him, the worse it gets.

5. Lawrence Taylor: Taylor had previously been turning around his life then, suddenly, a motel beckoned.

4. Tonya Harding: Don't get her angry. You wouldn't like her when she's angry.

3. Pete Rose: Deny, deny, deny until ... it's time to sell a book!

2. Mike Vick: Pooch killer.

1. Brett Favre: Easily the top choice for this year's jerk award show. He's quite possibly the most egotistical and disingenuous athlete who ever lived and that's saying something. And he'll be back playing football again this year and on the jerk list next year.

link

Brett Favre #1? WTF?? Sure, the guy and his on again, off again retirement is annoying. But #1 jerk in all sports?

No. Way.

• Fire 1

yeah, putting brett ahead of a dog killer and degenerates like phillips is ridiculous. Lookin for headlines.

Yeah, just some writer trying to create much ado.

Favre should not even be on the list at all.

Agree that it's just some writer trying to create "much ado" but disagree that Favre doesn't belong on the list. He most certainly does, if for no other reason than the way he's screwing the preparation of the Vikes all through training camp. They're a completely different team if he comes back than without him, and that prep is on hold until he comes back. There are a good half a dozen more reasons I could give, but that one alone which screws a whole franchise and their fans, is enough to land him in the top 50.

Agree that it's just some writer trying to create "much ado" but disagree that Favre doesn't belong on the list. He most certainly does, if for no other reason than the way he's screwing the preparation of the Vikes all through training camp. They're a completely different team if he comes back than without him, and that prep is on hold until he comes back. There are a good half a dozen more reasons I could give, but that one alone which screws a whole franchise and their fans, is enough to land him in the top 50.

Not so fast my friend! (in best Lee Corso voice). Is there *really* any question about whether Brett is coming back this season?

Not so fast my friend! (in best Lee Corso voice). Is there *really* any question about whether Brett is coming back this season?

Maybe the Vikes know, but you and I don't. If I had to wager I'd bet that he is coming back. But I have no way of knowing.

Another group of folks this stuff screws with are fantasy football players, especially those who do slow drafts. Most slow drafts would probably have started by now, and with Favre's waffling, you have no idea how to draft AP or Harvin or Favre himself. Values will change dramatically if he doesn't play.

Maybe the Vikes know, but you and I don't. If I had to wager I'd bet that he is coming back. But I have no way of knowing.

Another group of folks this stuff screws with are fantasy football players, especially those who do slow drafts. Most slow drafts would probably have started by now, and with Favre's waffling, you have no idea how to draft AP or Harvin or Favre himself. Values will change dramatically if he doesn't play.

All Favre is doing is avoiding training camp. Do I have inside info? Well no.

But the Vikings can't give - even Favre - an exception - so they do this dance.

Favre takes a few hits in the media but he gets what he wants - to avoid the pre-season.

In fact, everybody is happy Farve, the Vikings, the media, the fans.

EDIT: One more thing - there is difference between jerks and criminals and they shouldn't be in the same list.