CBS College Football Preview Show

dbetz23

Actually, I think it WAS Pac-10 refs in that game...it was some kind of Pac-10 conference policy where they used their own refs for home games. I know most other conferences, when they play inter-conference games, use the visitors' conference refs. That policy has screwed some other teams playing in Pac-10 land.

Actually, I think it WAS Pac-10 refs in that game...it was some kind of Pac-10 conference policy where they used their own refs for home games. I know most other conferences, when they play inter-conference games, use the visitors' conference refs. That policy has screwed some other teams playing in Pac-10 land.

I'm not 100% sure, but as soon as he mentioned Big 12 refs-the alarms went off. I could swear they were a Big 12 crew, but we're obviously going to have to find out now (Give me 20 minutes)

I suck with links...here is the start of a Pat Forde story from 2006....

NORMAN, Okla. -- The Pacific-10 Conference suspended for one game the officiating crew and the instant replay officials that worked Saturday's Oklahoma-Oregon football game after finding mistakes were made in calls near the end of the contest.

Pac-10 Commissioner Tom Hansen said Monday that a review by conference officials of video of the game revealed that both the instant replay officials and the game officials assigned by the conference made errors in the final minute and 12 seconds of the game.

Forde-Yard Dash

The Dash understands why Sooner Nation lost its collective mind after the officiating fiasco at the end of the Oregon game, which was won by the Ducks, 34-33. The non-call on the onside kick stunk. The inept review of the call was worse. The Pac-10's one-game suspension of the offending officials was completely justified.

But the Oklahoma reaction has become an overreaction. In fact, it has transitioned from righteous indignation to outright insanity.

Oklahoma lost the game 34-33 after Oregon scored two touchdowns near the end of the game.

An onside kick by Oregon after its first late touchdown was touched by a Ducks player before it traveled the required 10 yards, and the Pac-10 ruled that the ball should have been awarded to Oklahoma. The league also said that video revealed that an Oklahoma player actually recovered the ball.

Officials on the field gave the ball to Oregon, and replay officials did not overturn that decision.

During a subsequent play, pass interference was called on Oklahoma, setting up the winning score. The Sooners argued that the ball had been tipped at the line of scrimmage, thereby nullifying the pass interference call.

Replay officials did not see indisputable evidence to overturn the penalty.

I know, I made a big double-take when I looked at the date on the story...seems like yesterday and an OU friend of mine reminded me of it just last week because we are playing there this year. Then again, with all the Big 10 talk, we've stirred up a lot of memories from NU getting robbed in Happy Valley, and that was almost 30 years ago. lol

Don't take this the wrong way but shouldn't a team expected to make a national championship run have more of a difference maker at quarterback than what Nebraska currently has in Lee or Green? I'm just bringing that up, the team presumably has everything else that would be needed. Maybe I am missing something but I do live in Nebraska over the summer so I do keep up with things pretty well!

Don't take this the wrong way but shouldn't a team expected to make a national championship run have more of a difference maker at quarterback than what Nebraska currently has in Lee or Green? I'm just bringing that up, the team presumably has everything else that would be needed. Maybe I am missing something but I do live in Nebraska over the summer so I do keep up with things pretty well!

so nu,s horrible offense of 2009 has done a 360.......would be shocked if they did.

I don't get the hype. They already have a bullseye on their foreheads due to the conference move, but some of these expectations really seem to be off the charts. How many of these media blowhards saw anything besides the Texas & Zona games? I'm thinking not many.

so nu,s horrible offense of 2009 has done a 360.......would be shocked if they did.

Nobody is expecting a complete turn around but with how bad they were last year it wouldn't be hard for them to make a good improvement. Any time you return 10 starters you should have a considerable improvement.

Greg McElroy didn't exactly light the world on fire last year for Alabama. He was solid, but not amazing. A very good running game combined with consistent quarterback play has the potential to take this team far if the defense is anywhere near what it was last year.

The offense doesn't need to do a 360. Nebraska was a play away from winning three of the four games they lost. Last year's offense was plagued by injury and was effectively shut down by Pelini after the loss to Iowa St. Not only does Nebraska return almost the entire offense, there will be significantly more depth this year. Keep in mind that Nebraska was a pretty good offensive team the year before last and that when they did finally open the offensive playbook back up, in the bowl game, they ran up big numbers against Arizona.

It is almost guaranteed that this year's offense will be vastly superior to last year's. The reason for the high expectations surrounding the team are more from Pelini's assertion that this year's defense will be better despite the loss of Suh.