this is important

At first, I figured 'What the heck, totally trivial issue. It's not like they aren't going to play anymore.'

When the Oklahoma-Texas comparison struck me is when I changed my mind on this. Stewart Mandel had a piece I just read that sums up my feelings exactly.

Change was inevitable when the Big Ten opted to expand, and I fully expected some rivalries to be altered or severed. But Ohio State-Michigan? Are you kidding me? It's been played the last week of the season all but once since 1935, and it's the league's single most important franchise. You would think conference leaders would go to any length to protect it. Unfortunately, based on Michigan AD Dave Brandon's recent comments, it appears at least one decision-maker thinks he'd be enhancing the rivalry by putting the two in separate divisions, because, "one of the best things that could happen in a given season, in my opinion, is the opportunity to play Ohio State twice."

If we know anything, it's that Jim Delany doesn't do anything unless he sees a potential windfall in it. The league is going to be signing a separate TV deal for the title game, and perhaps he's eyeing some sort of "premium clause" that allows for a spike in rights fees in a year when those two meet. Because there's no question an Ohio State-Michigan championship game would be one of the most coveted properties in sports television. Delany even suggested to ESPN.com on Tuesday: "You could make a good argument that Michigan and Ohio State should never really be playing for a divisional crown. If they're going to play, play for the right to go to the Rose Bowl."

Fair enough, commish, but if you haven't noticed, Switzerland is closer to Pasadena right now than Michigan. Even when the Wolverines do get it going again, they're going to be in a division with at least two other regular contenders (perhaps Penn State and Wisconsin) that will likely prevent any one team from reaching the title game annually. In the years OSU and Michigan don't play for the Rose Bowl -- i.e., most of them -- shouldn't they at least play for something more than a run-of-the-mill conference win? The ACC tried this same thing with Miami and Florida State. Five years later, they've yet to meet in a title game.

Meanwhile, in the Big 12, the Oklahoma-Texas Red River rivalry has seen a huge national resurgence over the past decade, not just because the teams are strong, but because there are tangible stakes: pole position in the Big 12 South. If placed in opposite divisions, Ohio State and Michigan would be playing for much the same stakes -- only they'd be doing so against Penn State or Nebraska instead.

Sometimes leaders make decisions without properly thinking through the issues. This one sounds like a case of over-thinking. Do the right thing, Mr. Delany, Mr. Brandon and Mr. Smith, lest the ghosts of Woody and Bo haunt you in your sleep.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/08/24/cfb.mailbag/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0xfaPhYEt

Mich-OSU should not play for the divisional crown? Sounds like the same sad reasoning that split up OU and Nebraska. Fans will live with it, but it's not ideal. We'd become the Texas to Michigan's Oklahoma. Sure in 2000, 2001, and again in 2009 (three times in a DECADE!), when it looked like NU-OU would play together twice (it never came to fruition), it was neat. But in none of those games did the matchup have the luster of the NU-OU rivalry of old, or even the Red River rivalry. '00 and '01 were big games only because the teams were ranked 1-2 in each case.

If OSU and Michigan meet every year in a cross divisional rivalry, then every year is like one of those situations. The game's importance is dictated primarily by the strength of the two teams (isn't that true fro any game?) than by the historical rivalry. If both or even one of the teams are down, the only thing that'll prop up that matchup is nostalgia.

I mean, people will live with it. But I can understand why Michigan and Ohio State fans are upset.

I wish the divisions would look like this....

Division A

Nebraska

Penn State

Iowa

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Northwestern or Illinois

Division B

Ohio St.

Michigan

Michigan St.

Purdue

Indiana

and our crossover game with Michigan

but hey it doesn't look like it will be that way, I do hope if Penn State is not in our division that they would be our crossover game though.

Northwestern or Illinois

That would be perfect if Penn State were located somewhere between Illinois and Iowa

Now its already said that geography will not be the primary factor for settling who will go to which divisions, but it will be taken into consideration. In my mind rivalries and history outweighs geography.

but if that doesn't work, give us Penn State as a cross-over (although the implications of the game go down a little bit).

But a rivalry is naturally another school in the relative area. Very rarely does a rivarly occur when two schools are hundreds of miles apart(USC-ND). I would say we have a better chance at developing a rivalry with Iowa and Wisconsin than Michigan or Penn St.

Im fine with rivalries with any of those team, just as long as they aren't our main Rival. Heck Colorado had one national title and a recent Heisman and they weren't qualified to be our main Rival, so what makes Iowa or any of the rest?

So who do you consider our Rival? Mizzou? KSU? Even though our rivalry with Colorado is not a 1 vs. 2 anymore, I loathe that team and take personal joy everytime we beat them. I still consider them our rival based on our mutual hatred.

Currently I believe we don't share an ultimate rivalry with anyone. I asked Ganz and Swift this very question a while ago at a Husker recruiting party and they replied the same answer, they didn't really think we had a main Rival, but they said that the team they hated the most was Missouri. Therefore this is the belief I share as well. Just because you hate a team the most doesn't necessarily mean they are your biggest Rival.

Rivalries are built on an even series, simalar levels of prestige, and a constant cycling of one team taking another team out of a common interest (which in our case is a National Championship). What I believe to be critical though is a long standing tradition of the processes above between the two programs.

The Colorado series was not even, sure they had a short line of success when we were at one of the worst eras of modern college football, but that was really it and it wasn't just Colorado who continually beat us then, Missouri, KSU, and even KU had nearly the same level of success against us this decade.

I still can't believe this CU argument still exists but thank God it will finally be put to rest next season. Unfortunately a new one begins- Iowa.

As an Ohio State fan I just wanted to say no blame should be going your way. Nebraska is an outstanding school with a great team cheered on by phenomenal fans, you will be an excellent addition to the conference. A fan base that got their traditions thrown in the dirt to make way for the future in no way deserves to hear anyone complain over something that doesn't amount to one tenth of what happened to you.

I'm sure with everything you've lost we probably seem like petulant children screaming because we aren't getting our way. It is important to me, but I fear something bad is going to happen to an institution exaggerated into myth and legend that I grew up with. A tradition I shared with my grandfathers and my father and assumed I'd celebrate with my children and theirs. I realize that we will still play every year but i do not believe it will feel the same in ten.

Anyway welcome home Nebraska.

GO BIG RED BEAT TEXAS!

• Fire 1

As an Ohio State fan I just wanted to say no blame should be going your way. Nebraska is an outstanding school with a great team cheered on by phenomenal fans, you will be an excellent addition to the conference. A fan base that got their traditions thrown in the dirt to make way for the future in no way deserves to hear anyone complain over something that doesn't amount to one tenth of what happened to you.

I'm sure with everything you've lost we probably seem like petulant children screaming because we aren't getting our way. It is important to me, but I fear something bad is going to happen to an institution exaggerated into myth and legend that I grew up with. A tradition I shared with my grandfathers and my father and assumed I'd celebrate with my children and theirs. I realize that we will still play every year but i do not believe it will feel the same in ten.

GO BIG RED BEAT TEXAS!

As an Ohio State fan I just wanted to say no blame should be going your way. Nebraska is a outstanding school with a great team cheered on by phenomenal fans, you will be an excellent addition to the conference. A fan base that got their traditions thrown in the dirt to make way for the future in no way deserves to hear anyone whine over something that doesn't amount to one tenth of what happened to you.

I'm sure with everything you've lost we probably seem like petulant children screaming because we aren't getting our way. It is important to me, but I fear something bad is about to happen to an institution exaggerated into myth and legend that I grew up with. A tradition I shared with my grandfathers and my father and assumed I'd celebrate with my children and theirs. I realize that we will still play every year but I do not believe it will feel the same in ten.

GO BIG RED BEAT TEXAS!

This is why I just hope they leave the Michigan OSU rivalry completely alone. Tradition is an odd thing. I was in the service overseas when the NU vs OU game went by the wayside and I didn't know much about it until after it happened. If I were an OSU or Michigan fan I'd scream like a child as loud as I could if a change in the date bothered me.

I guess the best thing is to see what they announce for sure in the next few months, and then really raise cain if need be. There'll be a whole year to do it before the deed is done.

protected rivalry via cross over game anyone? SEC does the big ten will as well. The big rivalry will continue, albeit on a different date.

Well, I suppose, it's just the difference between climax and anti-climax. The timing of this game is a big part of what made it great.

Quoted for truth...that is it in a nutshell. I can deal with the break up, but it being the last game of the season is what makes it The Game.