NUs lowest AP vote comes from a Big 10 Network journalist

NUance

From his online bio at CBS

Tom Hart is a veteran football and basketball play-by-play announcer for CBS College Sports Network, now in his fifth season. Hart graduated from University of Missouri after spending one season playing football at Quincy (Ill.) University. A native of Columbia, Mo., he was previously the television announcer for Georgia Tech football and host of the Atlanta Braves minor league show "Movin On Up".

Would also explain why Georgia Tech is ranked higher than us too. Personally I don't think we should be in the top 10 just yet but there is no way that Georgia Tech should be ranked higher than us. I do believe that we are a TOP 15 team though and I want this 2010 Husker team to prove a lot of critics wrong this year. GO BIG RED

you do know that GT was 11-3 and played in a BCS bowl game last year right? I believe they return 14 or 15 starters including their QB. Its not unreal for someone to have them ranked above NE, especially since we are in agreement that NE starting ranked as high as they are isnt necessarily correct. In fact I am with you on the top 15. I think the fair ranking is in the 14-16 range. And at that range I can understand and see why GT would/could be ranked ahead of NE.

Oh come one. NU clearly deserves to be preseason top 10. Last year's team beat UT, the team that played for the MNC. Well, we beat them in the regulation 60 minutes anyway. And we didn't lose much to graduation that can't be replaced. Sure, Suh is gone. But I don't think our D-line will be a weak link.

I realize you Mizzou Tigurls stick together. But Hart's votes are clearly out of control. That's why he got the boot from the AP voting. I'm curious. Do you agree with Hart that Mizzou deserves to be in the top 20 right now?

I realize you NUBrasGirls have your rose colored glasses on, cause i had no clue that you beat TX. I am pretty sure you lost that game. Fair and square at that. You didnt lose much...only the greatest defensive college player is possible the last 30 years. 2 more drafted defenders and both safeties. Half of those replacements have had NO impact what so ever, but you expect them to pick right up. How many games did SUH win for you darn near single handedly last year??

You return a offense that was putrid. Injuries dont account for looking frazzeled and locking on to WRs. Poor decisions dont come from arm injuries, that is unless Lee's brain connects directly to his arm and his vision and motor skills were destroyed by his arm having a boo-boo. Your o-line was suspect for most of the year, but seemed to get better as the year went on. But your are basing your entire projection off 1 game against a team that could have cared less to be there. It makes sence, ignore the entire season and go with the obnomaly.... Last years team was not top 10, and last years team, i believe is better than they one you will field this fall. Thats just the begining of why i feel you are outside the top ten. Lets get it straight, I didnt say NE should be unranked, I said I thought 14-16 was a fair spot to start. GEEZ!!

So instead of calling names and acting like I am the ONLY person who doesnt think so, why dont you question the thousands and thousands of other husker fans who feel the same. OR call up the 18 of 60 voters (30%) who had them outside the top ten. (by the way another 7 had them at 10. So nearly 42% of the voters had them at 10 or lower)

But logical thought i am sure is not your strength...Like hart had to be removed because "he voted down the almight huskers!!". Not that he was the ONLY voter that was tied to a team or conference in the poll.....Could that be why he was replaced by a news paper guy???? NOPE!! its cause he hates them huskers!!! DE-DA-DE!!

As far as MU...I dont think they are top 25, but in the 30 range to start. Most of that having to do with the games they blew or flat out didnt show for last year. Intill this group shows my something diffent, I will believe they are a pretty good them that could win 10-11 games, but will probably win 8-9.

;)

P.S. this is writtin tongue-in-cheek, but seriously, over the last 2 plus years have I not proven to you that I have logical thought and ideas and dont play the team colored glasses game. No need to come at me like that. :thumbs

Tom Hart is a veteran football and basketball play-by-play announcer for CBS College Sports Network, now in his fifth season. Hart graduated from University of Missouri after spending one season playing football at Quincy (Ill.) University. A native of Columbia, Mo., he was previously the television announcer for Georgia Tech football and host of the Atlanta Braves minor league show "Movin On Up".

Would also explain why Georgia Tech is ranked higher than us too. Personally I don't think we should be in the top 10 just yet but there is no way that Georgia Tech should be ranked higher than us. I do believe that we are a TOP 15 team though and I want this 2010 Husker team to prove a lot of critics wrong this year. GO BIG RED

you do know that GT was 11-3 and played in a BCS bowl game last year right? I believe they return 14 or 15 starters including their QB. Its not unreal for someone to have them ranked above NE, especially since we are in agreement that NE starting ranked as high as they are isnt necessarily correct. In fact I am with you on the top 15. I think the fair ranking is in the 14-16 range. And at that range I can understand and see why GT would/could be ranked ahead of NE.

Oh come one. NU clearly deserves to be preseason top 10. Last year's team beat UT, the team that played for the MNC. Well, we beat them in the regulation 60 minutes anyway. And we didn't lose much to graduation that can't be replaced. Sure, Suh is gone. But I don't think our D-line will be a weak link.

I realize you Mizzou Tigurls stick together. But Hart's votes are clearly out of control. That's why he got the boot from the AP voting. I'm curious. Do you agree with Hart that Mizzou deserves to be in the top 20 right now?

I realize you NUBrasGirls have your rose colored glasses on, cause i had no clue that you beat TX. I am pretty sure you lost that game. Fair and square at that. You didnt lose much...only the greatest defensive college player is possible the last 30 years. 2 more drafted defenders and both safeties. Half of those replacements have had NO impact what so ever, but you expect them to pick right up. How many games did SUH win for you darn near single handedly last year??

You return a offense that was putrid. Injuries dont account for looking frazzeled and locking on to WRs. Poor decisions dont come from arm injuries, that is unless Lee's brain connects directly to his arm and his vision and motor skills were destroyed by his arm having a boo-boo. Your o-line was suspect for most of the year, but seemed to get better as the year went on. But your are basing your entire projection off 1 game against a team that could have cared less to be there. It makes sence, ignore the entire season and go with the obnomaly.... Last years team was not top 10, and last years team, i believe is better than they one you will field this fall. Thats just the begining of why i feel you are outside the top ten. Lets get it straight, I didnt say NE should be unranked, I said I thought 14-16 was a fair spot to start. GEEZ!!

So instead of calling names and acting like I am the ONLY person who doesnt think so, why dont you question the thousands and thousands of other husker fans who feel the same. OR call up the 18 of 60 voters (30%) who had them outside the top ten. (by the way another 7 had them at 10. So nearly 42% of the voters had them at 10 or lower)

But logical thought i am sure is not your strength...Like hart had to be removed because "he voted down the almight huskers!!". Not that he was the ONLY voter that was tied to a team or conference in the poll.....Could that be why he was replaced by a news paper guy???? NOPE!! its cause he hates them huskers!!! DE-DA-DE!!

As far as MU...I dont think they are top 25, but in the 30 range to start. Most of that having to do with the games they blew or flat out didnt show for last year. Intill this group shows my something diffent, I will believe they are a pretty good them that could win 10-11 games, but will probably win 8-9.

;)

P.S. this is writtin tongue-in-cheek, but seriously, over the last 2 plus years have I not proven to you that I have logical thought and ideas and dont play the team colored glasses game. No need to come at me like that. :thumbs

Dave Curtis isn't a newspaper guy.

Ladies––this is a flippin' preseason ranking. The entire point of the stupid thing is that it's arguable. I think talk of NU in the top five is ludicrous. Top ten is debatable, but with the kind of defense we're going to field this year and the schedule we have, there's an argument to be made that we'll be favored in EVERY game. That said, if someone placed us in the top 15-18, they can make their case as well.

This is why coaches don't pay attention to polls, and IMO since polls ultimately impact the fate of so many teams down the stretch, no poll that has any effect on the BCS rankings should be released until late September at the earliest. Too much of it is based on factors no one in any media outlet has any clue about.

I realize you NUBrasGirls have your rose colored glasses on, cause i had no clue that you beat TX. I am pretty sure you lost that game.

Like I said. We won the UT game in the regulation 60 minutes.

Fair and square at that.
Some would debate whether this is true.

You didnt lose much...only the greatest defensive college player is possible the last 30 years. 2 more drafted defenders and both safeties. Half of those replacements have had NO impact what so ever, but you expect them to pick right up. How many games did SUH win for you darn near single handedly last year??

Sure we lose Suh, and Barry Turner too. But with everyone else back, a healthy Terrence Moore, Cam Meredith and Steinkuhler emerging, and a couple guys coming off redshirt. We are gonna have a GOOD D-line. Maybe great. Do you think our D-line will be weak this year?

You return a offense that was putrid. Injuries dont account for looking frazzeled and locking on to WRs. Poor decisions dont come from arm injuries, that is unless Lee's brain connects directly to his arm and his vision and motor skills were destroyed by his arm having a boo-boo. Your o-line was suspect for most of the year, but seemed to get better as the year went on. But your are basing your entire projection off 1 game against a team that could have cared less to be there. It makes sence, ignore the entire season and go with the obnomaly....

Our offense. Who can tell? We sucked last year. Until the very end, that is. But I think you’ll see a world of difference this year now that the walking wounded have healed. That is, if we can avoid any further fall camp attrition.

Last years team was not top 10, and last years team, i believe is better than they one you will field this fall. Thats just the begining of why i feel you are outside the top ten. Lets get it straight, I didnt say NE should be unranked, I said I thought 14-16 was a fair spot to start. GEEZ!!

Naw. You and your boy Hart are a half dozen spots too low. I’d say 8 to 10 is perfectly legit for NU.

I think this “NUBrasGirls” fan will go with the 42 of 60 voters who had us in the top ten.

I don't even know what you are talking about. Have you been drinking? It’s only 10:00am.

As far as MU...I dont think they are top 25, but in the 30 range to start. Most of that having to do with the games they blew or flat out didnt show for last year. Intill this group shows my something diffent, I will believe they are a pretty good them that could win 10-11 games, but will probably win 8-9. ;)

Finally. Something we agree on. I’d say the 30 range is about where I’d peg MU.

Oh come on. You are just as much of a homer for Mizzou as most people on this board are for NU. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing. But you are certainly not an unbiased observer. And neither am I. :koolaid2:

I have no problem having teams ranked higher than Nebraska that deserve to be but Georgia Tech.....SERIOUSLY. Ya they have 7 starters on offense returning and 9 on defense but they lost Thomas who was a huge threat in their passing game and Dwyer who started at running back both in 08' and 09' and was their leading rusher for both those years and he was drafted to the Steelers. The only threat they have on Offense is Nesbitt.

Georgia Tech doesn't play well when they play against a team with a great defense (Miami and Iowa)and now they lost their top 2 dual threats on offense and they are going to struggle this year. You stop Georgia Techs running game and they are screwed and it showed in the Orange Bowl. Georgia Techs defense isn't too stellar but they should be better compared to last year with 9 starters returning.

As far as Mizzou being ranked in the top 25 is very questionable. Did this guy even watch Mizzou's bowl game against Navy :dunno

;)

Are you saying that your Tigers didn't want to be there in the rain when they lost? All kidding aside, tell me what team looks like they want to be there when they are getting whipped?

I have no problem having teams ranked higher than Nebraska that deserve to be but Georgia Tech.....SERIOUSLY. Ya they have 7 starters on offense returning and 9 on defense but they lost Thomas who was a huge threat in their passing game and Dwyer who started at running back both in 08' and 09' and was their leading rusher for both those years and he was drafted to the Steelers. The only threat they have on Offense is Nesbitt.

Georgia Tech doesn't play well when they play against a team with a great defense (Miami and Iowa)and now they lost their top 2 dual threats on offense and they are going to struggle this year. You stop Georgia Techs running game and they are screwed and it showed in the Orange Bowl. Georgia Techs defense isn't too stellar but they should be better compared to last year with 9 starters returning.

As far as Mizzou being ranked in the top 25 is very questionable. Did this guy even watch Mizzou's bowl game against Navy :dunno

Anthony Allen is not "nobody", he steps into the #1 slot. As far as Thomas, hell of a player but you are talking about a team that has 10-11 pass attempts a game. Its about surprising people and catching them cheating. Thats why if you look at GT's leading WR's you will see avg's of 25.1, 30.5, 22.8 & 22.4 yards per catch. Its not like they are asking them to run outs, posts, drags, slants and comebacks every play. hell, even as good as Thomas was he caught 3 balls a game.

And you bring up a good point about who they play.... Its the ACC brother....They have a very managable schedule and only have a few tests. Which also is a reason I can see the ranking. They will win games, alot of them.

FYI, you stop any teams running game and they are screwed. Perfect example....nebraska last year. Thank god for that defense or you might have won 5 games

As far as MU, they are not far off, you can easily make that arguement. And one game doesnt make a season buddy. A bowl game for that matter is the worst possible example to base good or bads off of for the coming season. They are not the same teams, and people use that to upgrade or downgrade teams too often. Instead of being aware of the previous seasons improvements and new players, scheduling and conference. I already said I see Mu at about 30. I think those that have them in the 40's and even low 50's are out of their mind. think you could make an arguement for the 25, but i for one would not put them there yet.

Anthony Allen is not "nobody", he steps into the #1 slot. As far as Thomas, hell of a player but you are talking about a team that has 10-11 pass attempts a game. Its about surprising people and catching them cheating. Thats why if you look at GT's leading WR's you will see avg's of 25.1, 30.5, 22.8 & 22.4 yards per catch. Its not like they are asking them to run outs, posts, drags, slants and comebacks every play. hell, even as good as Thomas was he caught 3 balls a game.

And you bring up a good point about who they play.... Its the ACC brother....They have a very managable schedule and only have a few tests. Which also is a reason I can see the ranking. They will win games, alot of them.

FYI, you stop any teams running game and they are screwed. Perfect example....nebraska last year. Thank god for that defense or you might have won 5 games

As far as MU, they are not far off, you can easily make that arguement. And one game doesnt make a season buddy. A bowl game for that matter is the worst possible example to base good or bads off of for the coming season. They are not the same teams, and people use that to upgrade or downgrade teams too often. Instead of being aware of the previous seasons improvements and new players, scheduling and conference. I already said I see Mu at about 30. I think those that have them in the 40's and even low 50's are out of their mind. think you could make an arguement for the 25, but i for one would not put them there yet.

Anthony Allen didn't lead the team in rushing yards like Dwyer did for 2 straight years and that will hurt Georgia Tech. I'm aware that stopping any team's rushing game will hurt them but to stop a run based team like Georgia Tech and force Georgia Tech to throw the ball more than 10 times a game which isn't their strong point will give you the W.....the Orange Bowl is a very good example.

Nebraska's defense is the main reason we won a lot of games last year but the running game allowed us to put the game away in a lot (Mizzou, Kansas, Colorado, Arizona). We ran quite well against Virginia Tech, we just didn't get the W.

I'd put Nebraska over Georgia Tech in a poll for these reasons: We have a better defense; we have these playmakers Roy Helu Jr., Burkhead, Paul, McNeil returning on offense compared to Georgia Tech's Nesbitt and I'll throw in Allen; and Nebraska is not a one sided offense where Georgia Tech is a run run run type offense.

its your opinion at thats cool, but a quick compairison. And FYI Mcneill is not a playmaker. He is the most overated player in the big 12. I have never seen a guy get more credit and pub for doing nothing. 28 catches, 259 yrds and 4 Td's. That is nothing. Once you take out he games against sun belt teams and go with just BCS games, 18 catches, 125 yrds and 2 TDs. in other words, a non factor.

I will give you Paul, but I think you will see the top 3 returing runners for the two teams are pretty much the same.

Nebraska

RB's - 1868 yrds, 404 carries, 4.62 ypc, 14 tds

Georgia Tech

RB's - 2000 yrds, 396 carries, 5.05 ypc, 17 tds

its pretty much a scratch. D is better for NE, O is much better for GT. Ultimatly your not wrong, or right for that matter. Its opinions.

And FYI Mcneill is not a playmaker. He is the most overated player in the big 12. I have never seen a guy get more credit and pub for doing nothing. 28 catches, 259 yrds and 4 Td's. That is nothing. Once you take out he games against sun belt teams and go with just BCS games, 18 catches, 125 yrds and 2 TDs. in other words, a non factor.

I would disagree.

2008 Stats

32 receptions for 442 yards and 6 TD's his sophmore year.

He was suppose to have a bigger and better year with the departure of Swift and Peterson due to graduating but never lived up to it due to an inexperience QB in Lee (in my opinion) and Watson's play calling. Bo has mentioned numerous times during this off season that McNeil was open several times last season and was never thrown too and McNeil didn't get the ball as much as they hoped. Thats probably one main reason why McNeil is playing the "Adjuster" role to get the ball more and to add an extra weapon to our passing game.

There is probably no other person in the world that was disappointed in McNeils season last year than this guy because I know that Nebraska didn't use McNeil like they should've.

And FYI Mcneill is not a playmaker. He is the most overated player in the big 12. I have never seen a guy get more credit and pub for doing nothing. 28 catches, 259 yrds and 4 Td's. That is nothing. Once you take out he games against sun belt teams and go with just BCS games, 18 catches, 125 yrds and 2 TDs. in other words, a non factor.

I would disagree.

2008 Stats

32 receptions for 442 yards and 6 TD's his sophmore year.

He was suppose to have a bigger and better year with the departure of Swift and Peterson due to graduating but never lived up to it due to an inexperience QB in Lee (in my opinion) and Watson's play calling. Bo has mentioned numerous times during this off season that McNeil was open several times last season and was never thrown too and McNeil didn't get the ball as much as they hoped. Thats probably one main reason why McNeil is playing the "Adjuster" role to get the ball more and to add an extra weapon to our passing game.

There is probably no other person in the world that was disappointed in McNeils season last year than this guy because I know that Nebraska didn't use McNeil like they should've.

McNeil is an incredible route runner; also it is not his fault if his stats were not great last year. he can only catch the ball, he cannot also throw it to himself or call plays that will get him the ball.

its your opinion at thats cool, but a quick compairison. And FYI Mcneill is not a playmaker. He is the most overated player in the big 12. I have never seen a guy get more credit and pub for doing nothing. 28 catches, 259 yrds and 4 Td's. That is nothing. Once you take out he games against sun belt teams and go with just BCS games, 18 catches, 125 yrds and 2 TDs. in other words, a non factor.

I will give you Paul, but I think you will see the top 3 returing runners for the two teams are pretty much the same.

Nebraska

Georgia Tech

its pretty much a scratch. D is better for NE, O is much better for GT. Ultimatly your not wrong, or right for that matter. Its opinions.

I think Derrick Washington has that claim to fame on lockdown. Along with DeMarco Murray.

McNeil is an incredible route runner; also it is not his fault if his stats were not great last year. he can only catch the ball, he cannot also through it to himself or call plays that will get him the ball.

I agree. I was pumped up to see him explode for the 09'season because of how well he did for the 08' season. I was very disappointed, not at McNeil but the way he wasn't utilized in 09'. I'm supper stoked to see how he's going to perform in the "Adjuster" position. I think he'll have a huge year

Nebraska

Georgia Tech

I think Derrick Washington has that claim to fame on lockdown. Along with DeMarco Murray.

Huskerjock,

McNeill's 08 stats made him the 6th best TE in the big12. If you want we could go back and grab every name of every TE in the country that was better, but i dont have time to tally 60+ players for you.... Never said he wasnt servicable, just not a playmaker. You list him like he is a stud. Truth is, he is just another guy. If he does well in his new role, then he will deserve the credit, but until then, he has been more of a name, than a producer and i dont think you can argue that

Huskerjosh,

I love your witty comeback. Nice fail at a burn. Washington isnt tallied as some great all coming like you guys do for McNeill. He is pretty damn good though. Of course you could argue that all you want but you have to make a pretty good arguement against a spread RB who has 1901 yds, 27 TDs, over a 5 ypc avg, another 433 yrds rec and 2 rec TD's in 2 years as a starter.

Then again....if your willing to admit that he shares the second most overated player with Roy Helu Jr, then I guess you could be right. (2 year stater - 1950 yrds, 16 tds, over a 5 ypc avg, and 415 yds rec.) Maybe I take that back, I'll let you put Helu 2nd by himself since he has 31 more total yrds, but 13 fewer td's.

As for Murray, when healthy I dont know that there is a better RB in the confernce. Problem is, he is hurt all the time. But he still has 2471 yrds, over a 5 per carry avg, 35 tds, 977 yards rec & 8 rec tds. Not bad