Steady Nebraska embraces change

jsneb83

I gotta say, this is a pretty good article, from Forde nonetheless.

ESPN article

What I hate is that every other team thinks that tried to break up the conference when, actually, almost every other team was also talking about switching conferences. Also, everyone thinks we bolted because we can't beat Texas, instead of the fact that we left for a more stabler conference. You know what, screw all of the other teams, they can kiss Texas' feet and Nebraska's @$$ when we win the final Big 12 Championship and leave for greener pastures.

I gotta say, this is a pretty good article, from Forde nonetheless.

ESPN article

What I hate is that every other team thinks that tried to break up the conference when, actually, almost every other team was also talking about switching conferences. Also, everyone thinks we bolted because we can't beat Texas, instead of the fact that we left for a more stabler conference. You know what, screw all of the other teams, they can kiss Texas' feet and Nebraska's @$$ when we win the final Big 12 Championship and leave for greener pastures.

I here this from KU fans a lot, then I bring up the point that their board of regents was ready to do the same thing, and given the oppertuinty would have they whine about tradition. The article makes a strong point of us loosing our tradition in 1996 when the big 12 formed. It does however fail to mention that the big 12 refused to except the big 8 history dating back to 1906 (the confernce was the big six back then). Just tossed out what was 90 years of history all for Texas. Im with ya on screw everyone else. The funny thing is the last school I thought that woudl also stand up to texas and bolt woudl be CU, good for them for growing a pair.

Funny thing. What Osborne really wanted was a seamless transition from the end of his coaching career in 1997 into the AD's office, just the way Devaney had done it in the early 1970s. But the Nebraska chancellor at the time, Graham Spanier, pre-empted that plan years earlier by hiring Bill Byrne for the job in 1992. Osborne was so pleased that he went fishing -- he insisted at the time that it was a trip planned long in advance -- instead of attending Byrne's introductory news conference.

All in all, a pretty good article. Interesting little snippet above about the AD job and Dollar Bill Byrne.

The funny thing is the last school I thought that woudl also stand up to texas and bolt woudl be CU, good for them for growing a pair.

Politically, socially, and academically, they are the least like the rest (except Texas, academically) and it is easy to see how the PAC 10 and CU find their pairing agreeable. If I had to pick the top schools to bolt, it would be Colorado, Nebraska, and Missouri.