Rematches are dumb

JTrain

side note: i hate it when people keep replying on top of replies making the page 6 miles long...and look what im doing... :facepalm:chuckleshuffle

Agreed. People need to learn to quote others.

Or maybe just selectively delete portions of the quotes to suit their needs.

I tend to agree that, in college football specifically where you play 8 or 9 conf games and you end up playing a second team twice for the CCG, it is less exciting of anticipation then the original matchup. But because of whats at stake, you get pumped up for it regardless.

Like, if UT-OU played a second time in a year (biggest game in College Football these days), again I wouldnt be as excited with anticipation, but I would def watch it.

I do agree with others, you win the CCG, you are in and thats fair.

College football comes the closest to this ideal. In college football, the national champion really is the team who had the best season, at least more so than most other sports, where the regular season exists only as a qualifier for the postseason.

That is a very subjective statement IMO. Who or what constitutes the best season? As we've seen in years past, teams who were probably more deserving, be left out of the MNC (undefeated Auburn 04...I think it was 04...same year as OU vs LSU) and teams who had no right being in the MNC, be included (by no fault of their own) in the MNC (Nebraska 01).

IMO, there really is no true way to objectively determine who should be crowned "champions". There are pro's and con's to both having and not having a CCG or playoff system.

Let's not use real teams to keep any emotions at bay.

Team A and Team B are in the same conference, different divisions. They play each other twice in one season, splitting the series 1-1.

Team A goes 7-1 in the conference, with a close loss to team B.

Team B goes 5-3 in the conference, with a blowout loss to team A along with two other losses.

Who is deserving of the conference championship? Obviously Team A, right?

But in reality, Team B is crowned champions. This is because they managed to win a fairly weak division, then get a few breaks to beat Team A in the "Championship Game". I put it in quotes because the label is arbitrary. The game is no different than any other games. The rules are the same. By most standards of fairness, Team A should be champions, since the two teams split the series and Team A had a better conference record.

Your argument then would mean every playoff system out there be it NFL, NBA, NHL, NCAA Basketball, etc are "dumb".

agreed...this is what playoffs/championship games and getting better during the season are for....it measures a team...if you're deserving of something greater...you'll win when it counts