Our Newest Rival

I'm of the belief this rivalry will be bad blood from the get-go. Definitely worse than our rivalry with CU.

I agree with you. The CU Rivalry was based off the, wanting too be as good as us. Iowa has been plenty good before us and at the same time. But doesn't have as many shinny trophies too show for it.

Look for this too become potentially bad.

HEY - we have PLENTY of shiny trophies. Cy-Hawk, Heartland, Floyd.... :D

I'm of the belief this rivalry will be bad blood from the get-go. Definitely worse than our rivalry with CU.

I agree with you. The CU Rivalry was based off the, wanting too be as good as us. Iowa has been plenty good before us and at the same time. But doesn't have as many shinny trophies too show for it.

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

While Iowa was good last year, and has had a few nice teams in the past, IMO, they are EXACTLY like CU, minus the (cough-cough) MNC. They hate us because we are what they want to be, and we only care about beating them because they are in our road. I really see no difference.

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

While Iowa was good last year, and has had a few nice teams in the past, IMO, they are EXACTLY like CU, minus the (cough-cough) MNC. They hate us because we are what they want to be, and we only care about beating them because they are in our road. I really see no difference.

I wouldn't go to the extent that they are exatly like CU because Boulder is horribly nasty, but I agree that in the sense of program prestige the are entirely similar which was THE MAIN reason our fans refuted to CU "Rivalry" so much in the first place.

But Ill join u in for some more laughs :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

IMO, they are EXACTLY like CU, minus the (cough-cough) MNC.

Iowa won the 1958 MNC.

They hate us because we are what they want to be

No. I think they are very pleased with how their program has developed over the last decade or so. At the moment, Iowa is a superior team to Nebraska. They are just really anxious to compete against Nebraska in the Big Ten, and think that they should probably get all their trash talking in quick before Nebraska rebounds. There isn't any "hate" yet. I believe there is a lot of rabble-rousing going on both sides because of the imminence of the upcoming competition and geographic proximity, but I think both sides are really too quick to label each other. Iowa is a vastly different culture from the yuppies in Colorado, and if you really wanted to, you could see this as a respectful-but-heated rivalry, but from what I have seen on Huskerboard, Nebraska's Big 12 habit is to adopt a policy of unregulated hatred of everyone covered by a veil of sanctimony. From what I see, you guys really want them to hate you. It makes you feel good.

Iowa won the 1958 MNC.

No. I think they are very pleased with how their program has developed over the last decade or so. At the moment, Iowa is a superior team to Nebraska. They are just really anxious to compete against Nebraska in the Big Ten, and think that they should probably get all their trash talking in quick before Nebraska rebounds. There isn't any "hate" yet. I believe there is a lot of rabble-rousing going on both sides because of the imminence of the upcoming competition and geographic proximity, but I think both sides are really too quick to label each other. Iowa is a vastly different culture from the yuppies in Colorado, and if you really wanted to, you could see this as a respectful-but-heated rivalry, but from what I have seen on Huskerboard, Nebraska's Big 12 habit is to adopt a policy of unregulated hatred of everyone covered by a veil of sanctimony. From what I see, you guys really want them to hate you. It makes you feel good.

I bolded the parts that I would 100% agree with! Ferentz really has the team on the right track and while we realize that Nebraska has MUCH more history than we do, our current teams look to be very similar and should lead to some really good games. I just wish that we had been playing for the last 10 years so that we could have padded that W/L record a little bit before you guys started playing solid football again :)

On a completely unrelated note - I just found out that I get to go to the NU/Texas game chuckleshuffle (and yes I even have an NU shirt to wear!!!)

I believe Iowa will be a respectfull rival for NU. Everyone in the Big 10 wants to get their shots in at NU, Iowa probably more so. As a border rival they have probably been measuring their program against NU for quite some time. I find most hawkeye fans knowledgeable, but every fan base has a few. The most tired argument I get is "Nebraska dosent want to play Iowa". This argument comes from the few unknowledgeable hawkeye fans.

The TX game will be nuts, congrats Caven.

Iowa won the 1958 MNC.

I bolded the parts that I would 100% agree with! Ferentz really has the team on the right track and while we realize that Nebraska has MUCH more history than we do, our current teams look to be very similar and should lead to some really good games. I just wish that we had been playing for the last 10 years so that we could have padded that W/L record a little bit before you guys started playing solid football again :)

On a completely unrelated note - I just found out that I get to go to the NU/Texas game chuckleshuffle (and yes I even have an NU shirt to wear!!!)

You I like sir

Iowa won the 1958 MNC.

Them fightin words pal

Iowa won the 1958 MNC.

You I like sir

To be fair I will be wearing my Iowa hat to go with it :) Should make me easy to spot with the bright yellow Iowa hat in the middle of the Nebraska section.

Thanks for the kind words towards our program Manhatten. Looking forward to the game this year. Hopefully we both make it there unscathed this time. *Wanders off muttering unkind words about Northwestern*

Iowa won the 1958 MNC.

Them fightin words pal

There is a thread in the NCAA forum of this site titled: I HATE IOWA FANS!!!!!!![...]

It's the truth. I'm not saying you guys aren't classy fans or have a respected program - otherwise I wouldn't be hanging around here - but it is kind of in your fan ethos though to brew up massive amounts of hate for other fans - not even their program, coaches, players, etc - and in this case, for no particular reason. Maybe it just developed from a history of hard knocks in the Big 12 or something. I have no clue where it stems from, but you guys always act incredulous when other people speak badly of Nebraska fans when it isn't that hard to see why sometimes. It is clear to many Ohio State and Penn State fans why people would speak badly about our fans, and that is because we have some rowdy a$$hole$ who flip over cars, peg people with beer cans, and burn couches. But from what I see, most Ohio State and Penn State people have pretty objective views of fans/programs who aren't their bitter rivals. It isn't the case with the fans on Huskerboard at least, who leave no civility to Colorado, Kansas State, Mizzouri, Iowa State, Texas, etc., and has now reached a new level of ridiculousness with a team and fans who you basically have no history with (Iowa). In my honest opinion, I think it grows from being in a really fractal conference like the Big 12 so that everyone becomes your enemy. I have seen a lot of Big Ten fans on the internet react to Husker fans this way. I don't get it myself. Maybe someone should explain it to me. Hell, even Penn State and Michigan State fans didn't care much for each other with their invented rivalry, but for all the complaining you guys do about Colorado and their invented rivalry with Nebraska, you guys get very worked up about it.

I sincerely don't mean to make a big fight out of this, I am just pointing this out. That these Iowa threads are getting a bit ridiculous, and if you guys reflected on this for a minute, there isn't anything I'm saying that isn't unwarranted.

As the op i must interject my opinion. 1st off Caven is good people, and so is manhattan. Let me bring you guys up to speed. One thing i noticed about MOST about the big 10 is that they are respectfull. Hell after having what a 120 year marrage you need to learn to get along some time. Here is my theory on why we hat them. Its because they hate us. You think thats a joke. This is going to sound so arrogant i cant believe im spewing it out of my mouth. Its because we beat them. We beat them bad and we beat them often. Weve been beating 6 of them for a long time. So when they beat us they make such a HUGE deal about it they becoming annoying. In turn i supose we deserve it. Its easy to be cordual when you just handed Iowa State a 77-14 defeat. But when they beat you 9-7 they tend to go alittle overboard. Thats where that comes from. Ill go out on a limb here. I love and hate being a nebraska fan. I love the tradition, the fans, the university. I love what the team stands for. But i hate the negativity, i hate the fact that everyone looks at nebraska as some kind of item then need to get revenge for. From 1973 to 1997 Tom Osborne ALONE took the team to 255 wins and 49 losses. You dont get that kind of record and not have people hate you. The hate is because Nebraska was very very good in its day. When someone is on top for a long time you want to knock them down. Which is why most nebraska fans dislike the flordia teams. The hate from Iowa comes from living in iowa. I have never had a problem with the hawkeyes but ever since the expansion talk started, all i hear about is how tore up we are going to get in the big 10. This aint no big 12 north, just crap like that. Its fan banter and thick skin is needed. But it still gets annoying and something i would like to do without.

As far as rivalrys Most nebraska fans consider Oklahoma our rival but that is long gone. Colorado was our Hand picked rivalry and though they hated us with a passion, we only returned back what was thrown at us. Is nebraska and there fans innocent, No but now maybe you can see alittle about whats going on. There are good fans and bad fans in all college sports. Its just how you deal with them.

So when they beat us they make such a HUGE deal about it they becoming annoying. In turn i supose we deserve it. Its easy to be cordual when you just handed Iowa State a 77-14 defeat. But when they beat you 9-7 they tend to go alittle overboard. Thats where that comes from.

Yeah. That comes with the territory of being a powerhouse team... Hell, a powerhouse anything (like, the United States or Standard Oil). Every little defeat is a big victory for someone else. Like Ohio State in 2007 when Ohio State was upset by Illinois, or more recently with Purdue in 2009, their fans went crazy. Purdue even had signs at the basketball game between the two that taunted Ohio State football (we won the basketball game, by the way). You can't blame them, as you can't blame the Cyclone fan. I'm sure it's the best thing that happened to them in their respective season. They don't have bowl games to look forward to. That's what they live off of, and all parties deserve the situation.

Or as many all time wins... as CU.

Team W/L/T Pct. Years Total Games

Colorado 665/435/36 .585 117 1136

Iowa 580/512/39 .513 120 1131

First of all, I agree with you and understand what you mean about being good "at the same time". but I thought it was only fair to point out that, historically speaking, CU ranks just a little higher on the all time wins chart than Iowa.

As the op i must interject my opinion. 1st off Caven is good people, and so is manhattan. Let me bring you guys up to speed. One thing i noticed about MOST about the big 10 is that they are respectfull. Hell after having what a 120 year marrage you need to learn to get along some time. Here is my theory on why we hat them. Its because they hate us. You think thats a joke. This is going to sound so arrogant i cant believe im spewing it out of my mouth. Its because we beat them. We beat them bad and we beat them often. Weve been beating 6 of them for a long time. So when they beat us they make such a HUGE deal about it they becoming annoying. In turn i supose we deserve it. Its easy to be cordual when you just handed Iowa State a 77-14 defeat. But when they beat you 9-7 they tend to go alittle overboard. Thats where that comes from.

an example of team's "going overboard" when beating Nebraska: CU in 2001? a great, huge win for them to be sure! they went on to win the Big 12 championship, got their deserved rings but what did they put on them? the score vs Nebraska. :facepalm:

IMO THAT is a perfect microcosm of how our "little" brothers in the Big 8 saw Nebraska in the 80s and 90s. To them, beating Nebraska was what winning national titles were to us.

On the flip side, who is the team that we didn't consistantly beat in all those years? Oklahoma.

and coincidentally who were Nebraska fans closest to in a friendly, "gentleman's" rivalry?

obviously they didn't treat a win over Nebraska like they'd just won the MNC or something- although ironically the winner of that game truly did have a better shot at he real thing.