Assessment

the defense last year gave up 350 yards in game one to FAU. anyone thinking the defense will suck this year is wrong. we're gonna do more blitzing than last year, and we're obviously not going to show Washington our blitzes against a cupcake opponent. the defense will give up some more yards and maybe some more points than last year, but we will create more turnovers with a combination of tricky blitzes and sticky cornerbacks.

as for the offense, here's how i think of it. yes, Martinez will be shaky throwing the ball. but was that not the case for Lee all of last year? clearly t-marts running abilities will make the offense WAY better than it was last year. if teams blitz and Martinez escapes out of the pocket, watch out. automatic 15 yards. if teams don't blitz, he'll have plenty of time to find a receiver from our MUCH improved receiving corps.

Defense = some drop off from last year, but more turnovers which will lead to more points. dont forget how crazy-dominant our defense was last year. destroying Colt McCoy? basically holding Arizona to under 100 yards of offense? it was unreal. a slight drop off and we still have a top 5 defense.

Offense = maybe still just an average CFB offense, but after last year.. i'd die for an average offense.

Combine these factors with a decently-favorable schedule, and going undefeated is VERY possible.

So you watch this game and combine it with what the team would do if you were the coach, and we go undefeated. I'll be for making you coach and skipping the games. :)

Seriously, we saw the staff at least try a new QB and from that we can figure that they do not believe Lee can get it done. That's about all we know from that game. Any of our QBs would likely had great days against WKU if playing the entire game. What I am certain disturbs the staff is the inaccuracy of his passing. In Big 12 play there would have been some picks. I doubt he runs free against Big 12 foes with anything like the success against wku. So they will work like heck to get him a passing game that fits his ability and try to increase his throwing ability. The latter is not easy to do and unlikely to improve greatly in a few weeks, or good qbs would be everywhere.

T Mart reminds me of the QB that Illiniois started in that game against Misery on Sat. His elusiveness and strength) as a runner allowed him to get good yardage and hit short passes. I really thought they behind that frosh with good wheels and an average arm were going to beat misery badly. The second half they put a shadow on him and shut him mown to almost no yardage and I think he threw three or four picks. in our offense, the passing will have to be very accurate with good reads to keep our running game going. We are not Ga. Tech or another true option offense...though with our personnel I wish we were this year and even more so if Green commits. It's not Watson's bag though.

Running a balanced attack with T-Mart against good defenses may be difficult. I think right now the optimist would say we have options. The realist would say that the staff; is not happy with there choices and trying to come up with who will give the offense the best chance. My guess is that if Starling and Carnes would have been here one of them would be starting.

Your idea that we are better off blitzing a lot to make up for inferior line play this year, leaves me cold. The rush of the front four was what made our D last year. I hope the line improves and Crick becomes Suh like, which I doubt. Our DBs will be hard pressed against better passing teams if we rely on blitzing.

Anyway the season is here and we are undefeated. I don't see staying that way nearly as likely as you do. Hope you are right.

When was I 'coaching'? You don't think the defense will have to use new wrinkles this year? Our d-line won't put as much pressure on the QB as they did last year and Bo has even hinted at the fact that we'll be blitzing more this year.

As for t-mart, let me make myself clear. He won't be a dominant QB in the Big XII. I didn't say that he would be. I said his passing can't be worse than Lee's was last year (whether it was due to the injury or not), and he's clearly a better runner. All I said is that our 100-someth ranked offense last year should at least be top 50 this year. Or even if they are only 75th, its still better than last year. We had to rely on our defense and kicker last year to pull out wins and that won't be nearly as much the case this year.

Offense

Quarterbacks: A

Starting freshman quarterback Taylor Martinez put on a pretty solid show both in the air and especially on the ground. "T-Mobil" displayed his acceleration on multiple plays including his first collegiate touchdown of 46 yards. Cody Green also made an appearance and showed some promise with what appeared to be a more acute throwing game and a bit more comfort behind center than last year. Zac Lee saw brief playing time late in the game, but not really enough to show whether he has what it takes to lead the Huskers for a second year.

Running Backs: A-

Roy Helu and Rex Burkhead statistically speaking have room to improve, but they did their job. They both had 5 carries each and only out rushed by Martinez. Burkhead and Helu each had 1 touchdown averaging 11.4 and 5.8 yards per carry. Not a bad start for what could be a great one-two punch.

Receivers: A-

All in all, this should be a solid group of guys that we can continue to rely on. Between Brandon Kinnie and Niles Paul, we should have no issue getting the ball down field. The ball was spread out over 7 different receivers totaling 247 yards and 1 touchdown.

O-Line: A-

The line was able to move a somewhat undersized defensive line and create some big holes. Mike Caputo did an excellent job at center taking over for an injured Mike Smith. The rest of the line helped put up 289 yards of rushing with 536 total offensive yards.

Defense

D-Line: B-

If there was one area that needed a bit of improvement, in would be in the trenches. The defense gave up way to many yards on the ground. Nebraska gave up on average only 93.1 yards per game while Western Kentucky's offense tacked on a total of 179. Bobby Rainey had a career high 155 total yards against the Blackshirts.

Linebackers: A-

With all of the uncertainty created by preseason injuries in the linebacker position, the linebackers showed up to play. Lavonte David lead the Huskers with 13 total tackles. We should expect great things from him this year and the next.

Defensive Backs: B+

Our defensive backs are the most experienced part of team, but they seemed to be a little tentative. While they provided a large percent of the Blackshirts tackles, their were a few too many holes in the coverage. Although, I really don't think there is anything to worry about in this position down the road.

Offensive MVP

Taylor Martinez (were you expecting someone else?)

Defensive MVP

Lavonte David

I disagree with your comment about the DLine not stopping the run. The reason we gave up so many yards on running plays was due to the linebackers not filling the holes and making the proper reads and adjustments. I think the weakest link on the DLine is still Baker. I said in a different thread that numerous times during the game he was coming off the ball slow and high resulting in him being stood up and not pressuring the qb. On other plays, like the opening WKU drive he drove the linemen into the QB.

I disagree with your comment about the DLine not stopping the run. The reason we gave up so many yards on running plays was due to the linebackers not filling the holes and making the proper reads and adjustments. I think the weakest link on the DLine is still Baker. I said in a different thread that numerous times during the game he was coming off the ball slow and high resulting in him being stood up and not pressuring the qb. On other plays, like the opening WKU drive he drove the linemen into the QB.

Steinkuhler probably got hit by the "we are going to win this, I can ease up" bug. I'm sure Pelini is going to give him an honest critique and the entire defense will play significantly better this week, especially the linebackers.

In fact, they'll have to. From what I hear, Idaho's QB is getting a lot of looks by NFL scouts and their receivers are pretty good. That said, we should still probably win this one by 25+ points. I'm predicting an Arkansas State type game.

Ok its a thread written a couple days late, but better late than never.

Offense

Backs: A

Martinez has the potential too be good. He runs good, but he doesn't quite have full control of his arm yet. there were a couple times Saturday he put too much behind it and didn't focus on throwing a catch able ball.

This is all fixable compared too what Cody green did. Most of the columnist will tell you he was calm and composed. I'll tell you he was that also, as well as starring his receivers down hard as they ran their routes and not reading the defense.

against any solid defense this will get him in trouble. This may be why he is number 2

Running backs looked good i have no complaints here.

O-line b-

Creeping improvement is being made. Not as many fouls. But some very sloppy blocking instead hurts their score ( notice the lower case b-).

Several times WKU stuffed the run and blew our guys off the line. I know we aren't going too be perfect every snap, but jeebus, its WKU.

Whats maybe worse in all this, is that WKU had a solid pass rush all game, and effectively pressured Martinez and co.

Receivers - B

Looked good, Maybe do a little better run blocking. Paul is still having mental lapses, and worse, fumbling and running away from the ball.

Defense

D-line - D

Pathetic is the nicest word i can use here. We started the game strong, but then after the half showed no emotion, no aggression, and failed too communicate.

These guys got pushed around the second half, and that is embarrassing. All i did when the D took the field in the second half was shake my head as Rainey and the WKu O-line pushed us around.

With the injuries at LB these guys should have stepped up, they didn't.

Linebackers - B

For being pressed into service with limited reps with the first string these guys did their best all game. They did have some mental lapses, and not communicate at times. But that is forgivable being its their first start. And unlike the D line, they didn't quit.

Secondary - A-

Minus a few mistakes and the boy's in the back did alright. they flew too the football with authority, and more importantly played smart.

They gave it their all all game and earn high marks from me.

Special teams - A

pretty solid all the way around. Kick off team could stay in their lanes a bit better but its the first game so....

Coaching - A

Solid game plan, good execution, But the lack of effort on D hurts the grade.

Overall - B

Solid but unspectacular. We need too get back too practice and work our tails off this week. Idaho will make us pay if we get lazy like we did against WKU.

have a good Tuesday!

I was at the game as well..

First and foremost, T-Magic looked fantastic. I don't care if it was a DII team from Maine or wherever else on the field, we haven't seen a husker QB move like that in quite some time. His first run put the crowd into shock.. He's going to have his bumps through out the year, no doubt, but I expect great things from him. The O-Line in my opinion was just fine for their first game. Yoshi is a monster of a human. Huge props to Rex, the guy gets it done plain and simple.

Despite Bo calling out David, I think he played great his first game. 13 tackles in his first debut and Bo still calls him out...that's a bit BS'ish if ya ask me. Give the guy some credit. Ricky T - he's good, but his mental side and making STUPID penalties is enough for me to see the guy sit on the bench. That may be a bit drastic, but this isn't prison ball.

Special teams - outstanding

Overall, I'd say this is a solid B for the first game of 2010. Lot's of young guys out there and they all did great. Paul needs to stop the fumbling and dropped passes like now, he's better then that.

Green did well and Zac got some playing time as well. Great. I for one would love to see them pick either T-Magic or Green and let them play a full damn game. Stop this musical chairs crap and pick a start and let the team build around them. yeah, we all know Taylor is a redshirt freshman, he's young....so let the kid play as much as possible NOW so he can get some reps before we get into conference play.

It's going to be a good year in Husker Nation - bank on it.