Got Frank? You bet, and Ohio U. is loving it

formerfan

From: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2006966

Got Frank? You bet, and Ohio U. is loving it

BY LEE BARFKNECHT

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

EVANSTON, Ill. - Nervousness swirled in Frank Solich's stomach Friday, and he couldn't have been happier about it.

Frank Solich

"I've never gone into a game without some nerves, so that's good," the first-year coach of the Ohio Bobcats said after leading his team in a walk-through practice.

The former longtime Nebraska coach starts his rebirth in the business today when Ohio plays at Northwestern.

"I didn't think this day would ever get here," a smiling Solich said, looking around the stadium as his team left the field.

It has been 21 months since Solich, who turns 61 next week, coached a game.

He was fired in November 2003, the day after winning at Colorado to complete a 9-3 regular season and push his NU record to 58-19 in six seasons. But that 9-3 record came on the heels of a 7-7 season in 2002 and wasn't enough to keep his job.

Within a week, Solich was offered the job at Army. But he turned it down, saying it was too quick to make a decision. So much for the false old tale that nobody was interested in Frank When no other offers came, Solich toured the country during the spring and fall of 2004 to visit college and pro football friends and pick up ideas.

"I tried to fill the void with travel," he said. "But it wasn't the same. It was a difficult year.

"I couldn't picture myself being out of the game anymore. That was the longest period I had ever been out of football."

Solich's travels took him to Miami, Southern California, Oklahoma and Texas, sometimes more than once, as well as to some NFL teams. But the job offer that came took him to Athens, Ohio.

"I wasn't looking for a program at the top of their conference with a big name attached to it, with 80,000 to 100,000 people in the stands," the new coach told a Chicago Tribune reporter. "What I wanted at this time in my career is to make sure I was under people with great integrity. Not steve puderson And building a program is not something I'm going to shy away from. I'm ready to take that on."

He's making $250,000 per season in Athens, down from $1.1 million in Lincoln. But it's not about the money. He still has something to prove.

No matter how Solich does this season, people will be watching. Partly because of his presence, the Bobcats have an unusual home schedule - two Friday night games, one Monday night game and only two Saturday afternoon games. The home opener Friday against Pitt on ESPN2 might be the Bobcats' first home game on national television.

With Ohio recording only two winning seasons in 22 years, the hiring of Solich has energized the school and its alums. His face and a "Got Frank" slogan have popped up in local cable television ads, on the back of soft drink trucks, on school clothing and on billboards around town. And he's on the cover of the ticket brochure and media guide.

His arrival immediately led to 500 season-ticket sales, pushing the school closer to its modest goal of 3,000. And Ohio quickly raised $1.3 million for new football facilities.

"The plan is to fill the stadium," Solich said. "If you're filling the stadium, generally success is attached to that."

Among the assistants with Nebraska ties joining Solich are defensive coordinator Jimmy Burrow, offensive coordinator Tim Albin and quarterbacks coach Gerry Gdowski.

Said Solich: "We're not exactly sure where we're at, but the kids have done everything we've asked. We're ready to play a game."

Solich isn't sure how long he wants to coach.

"I haven't put a timetable on it," he told the Tribune. "I'm excited about the opportunity to build a program. As long as I have the fire and desire to get it done and meet the challenges and I'm good for the program, I'll keep going."

This report includes material from the Chicago Tribune.

Statements in purple added by formerfan.

Statements in purple added by formerfan.

Actuall would have thoguht there would have been more in there.

Yeah, that was like playing Where's Waldo finding it.

Within a week, Solich was offered the job at Army. But he turned it down, saying it was too quick to make a decision. So much for the false old tale that nobody was interested in Frank

Yep...ARMY

I think the next sentence tells you a whole lot:

When no other offers came, Solich toured the country during the spring and fall of 2004 to visit college and pro football friends and pick up ideas.

He had no other offers. Why would a coach that has taken a team to a national championship and won a big 12 championship, need to call in so many favors to learn how to coach? I've never heard of a coach with a resume like Frank's needing so much advice on how to coach. Whatever, I'm glad he could swallow his pride and finally admit that he needed to get off his ass and learn something besides the quarterback keeper. Perhaps, had he been more willing to adopt new ideas, he would have never lost his job. Maybe he needed that to kick him in the ass.

He had no other offers. Why would a coach that has taken a team to a national championship and won a big 12 championship, need to call in so many favors to learn how to coach? I've never heard of a coach with a resume like Frank's needing so much advice on how to coach. Whatever, I'm glad he could swallow his pride and finally admit that he needed to get off his ass and learn something besides the quarterback keeper. Perhaps, had he been more willing to adopt new ideas, he would have never lost his job. Maybe he needed that to kick him in the ass.

I couldnt agree with you more on that :thumbs Frank did need to change his coaching philosophy some. Hopefully he can turn Ohio around.

The truth is that ARMY passed on Solich but keep believing what you want. Solich should have had tons of offers but since SP blackballed him and threw him an Bo Pelini under the bus, he didn't have offers.

icon_bs.gif

I'm sorry, but no AD worth his salt is going to shun a coach because of what another AD at another schools said or did.

The fact is that if he was in demand, he would have been scooped up quickly.

The truth is that ARMY passed on Solich but keep believing what you want.  Solich should have had tons of offers but since SP blackballed him and threw him an Bo Pelini under the bus, he didn't have offers.

icon_bs.gif

I'm sorry, but no AD worth his salt is going to shun a coach because of what another AD at another schools said or did.

The fact is that if he was in demand, he would have been scooped up quickly.

Especially if that AD is a rat fink bastid. No names mentioned.

Solich should be lucky someone else is taking a chance on him to run their program to the....oh wait, Ohio is already there.

Huge difference. Solich took over a program that sucks and has pretty much always sucked. Its not as if he took over a program that went 10-3 and finished in the top 20 the previous year, had the majority of the team returning including 5 All American caliber players, and led them to their first losing season in 40 years.

As I recall, there weren't that many coaching changes that year compared to other years. Seems to me most coaching changes are done based on the need to change the coach, not the availability of another coach. Consequently, it's a bit hard to bash Solich for not getting another HC job when there weren't openings.

Anyone remember the other schools that replaced coaches that year?

As I recall, there weren't that many coaching changes that year compared to other years. Seems to me most coaching changes are done based on the need to change the coach, not the availability of another coach. Consequently, it's a bit hard to bash Solich for not getting another HC job when there weren't openings.

BYU, East Carolina, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, LSU, Marshall, Miami (OH), Ole Miss, New Mexico State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, Pitt, San Jose State, South Carolina, Stanford, Syracuse, UNLV, Utah, Utah State, Washington and Western Michigan replaced coaches this year. Not sure about last.

2003 coaching changes

Akron

Arizona

Army

Central Florida

Central Michigan

Cincinatti

Duke

Eastern Michigan

Idaho

Kent State

Mississippi St