Bigger, stronger, faster??

cb1954

Many football fans act as if players today have evolved to the point of being supermen compared to players of the past, even as recent as the last decade.

While that might be partly true, at least as far as Husker Records, most are from the 80s and 90s. Maybe NU doesn't do the same testing now, and the new turf is slower. Of course the team use to wear white shoes which makes players faster. :lol:

NU Football Records

Courtesy: NU Media Relations

Release: 03/24/2003

it says that at the top, so these havent been updated since after the 2002 season and more than a couple of those have been beaten...

shasbot, my bad. Oh well, players back then would still be faster due to the white shoes :lol:

I think athletes today are better than they've ever been, just due to the amount of time spent playing the game growing up and the way science has advanced and increased the efficiency of workouts and whatnot.

I don't think the record book is a good way to prove this, one way or another, simply because all athletes have improved across the board, so they're up against stiffer competition in addition to being better themselves.

Obviously, there are going to be exceptions to this - guy's in past generations who were just freaks, but for the most part I think athletes today would stomp most teams of yesteryears.

I think athletes today are better than they've ever been, just due to the amount of time spent playing the game growing up and the way science has advanced and increased the efficiency of workouts and whatnot.

I don't think the record book is a good way to prove this, one way or another, simply because all athletes have improved across the board, so they're up against stiffer competition in addition to being better themselves.

Obviously, there are going to be exceptions to this - guy's in past generations who were just freaks, but for the most part I think athletes today would stomp most teams of yesteryears.

The records only show speed and vertical.

What about strength records? I'm sure the overall strength of the team has not waned but has increased in recent years due to increases in nutrition and weight medicine.

Many football fans act as if players today have evolved to the point of being supermen compared to players of the past, even as recent as the last decade.

While that might be partly true, at least as far as Husker Records, most are from the 80s and 90s. Maybe NU doesn't do the same testing now, and the new turf is slower. Of course the team use to wear white shoes which makes players faster. :lol:

NU Football Records

Thanks for posting the fb testing records. They are fun to look at even though they are a few years old. Too bad NU doesn't make the current testing results and records available. :)