After Game Thoughts

I think (hope) Zac will be ok...but 15-36 ain't gonna get it done...and his recievers only dropped 4-5 passes. He missed some open guys, and got progressively worse as the game went on.

You would to if two of those passes were dropped with in the 10 yard line! QB's tend to second guess themsevles thinking its his fault WR's are dropping the wide open balls. Thus causing the QB to force feed the ball to the WR's. People if Ross doesn't fumble in the red zone. If Hardy doesn't drop that ball on the 4 yard line and if Ross doesn't put the ball down on their 30 yard line we easily win by 35 points! So me personally its little things we need to work on. Hell last year we had a QB we worked on that had no passing talent at all. Atleast this year we have one that can and WILL!

I think (hope) Zac will be ok...but 15-36 ain't gonna get it done...and his recievers only dropped 4-5 passes.  He missed some open guys, and got progressively worse as the game went on.

1) He'd be 20/36 if they'd caught those balls, which would be 55.5%. Not great, but not horrible. Especialy since at least one of those would have been a touchdown.

2) He definately got worse as the game wore on. I don't know if he was just getting tired, or if it was the big hits he took, or maybe something else. I just hope he can fix it.

True. Good points.

I am still frustrated! Next week will tell the tale, I think...if we can't beat Wake, then this season is in a bad way.

At least we aren't OU!!!!!!!!! :rollin

I definately agree. Wake is a huge HUGE game.

And although Pitt lost big tonight, I just got done taking a look at the box score and they did really well through the air. Basically nothing on the ground. We'll see how good we can do against a real passing attack once they come to town.

And with that, I shall go work on my opponent annalysis.

Tex I was really excited how we could rotate so many different DL players and still be damn effective on the pass rush! Oh by the way who the heck is this Brown guy that got burnt like toast on that one big passing play where they scored???!! Man he looked lost.

I am sorry if I posted brown I will change it, I meant Wilson! Yeah last year Our Def. line didn't get any rotation from what Mr Thomas said he played 70 snaps in a game. So our d with the rotation we got will be ten times better this year

Anyone else think Turner is going to be something special! Also the def. seemed to be tackling better.  I wonder if Trev alberts thinks our secondary doesn't have any speed anymore!

I thought Green played very, very well...he's gonna be a great one.

Turner should be good...heck, our D looks good again.

Yes I agree 100 percent I am still not sure about grixby he is one hell of a player but he does lack the phyisical aspect and he is a little short guy, but we have 3 really talented corners in grix green and bowmen then I think they is a hell of a drop off=. Hopefully bowman is nothing serious!

and......Chris Barclay didn't even play for Wake Forest today......and they still almost beat Vandy, anyway, i haven't given up hope, but was hoping more progress had been made in pre season works.....now the tough part will be to get better during the season, quickly enough to win some games against some much tougher opponents.........we obviously do need to recruit some more wide outs

hunter

It's nice to see so much optimism, but I am a little more pessimistic. Thank god that Wake Forest and Pitt both struggled in their openers too. Hopefully we can get back on track, but our offense was kind of pathetic. Some really easy catches were dropped, and if the pass wasn't right on the money, it wasn't caught. The biggest concern is the lack of a running game. Exactly why couldn't our running backs make plays? Why couldn't our O-line open holes? It will be interesting to see if Callahan and company can make the necessary adjustments.

and......Chris Barclay didn't even play for Wake Forest today......and they still almost beat Vandy, anyway, i haven't given up hope, but was hoping more progress had been made in pre season works.....now the tough part will be to get better during the season, quickly enough to win some games against some much tougher opponents.........we obviously do need to recruit some more wide outs

hunter

They have enough depth in the backfield that it really doesn't matter if Barclay was gone. Vandy has an atrocious run defense, Maine's is better, so they'll see a real run defense for the first time this season coming to Lincoln.

This is not the end of the world folks, this was the first game for a lot of guys tonight. Quit dragging your feet and give these guys a chance....last I checked our record was still 1-0. I am quite surprised no one has hit some of these points though:

Callahan's play calling was awful tonight-3 passes from the 2 yard line?!?! Running up the middle and putting us into 3rd and long stalled some drives.

The offensive line did not look good tonight. There really never was a play where our RB's could break a big gain. Dont give me this BS that Cory had a bad game tonight-he ran where he was supposed to and the line didn't make a hole. You can't ask him to break 2 or 3 tackles just to make a respectable gain. Pass protection was shaky too. Taylor was never able to get into a rhythm because of having to throw from 3rd and long every drive after two unsuccessful run plays.

Turnovers and droppes balls are what made this a 25-7 game rather than a 50-7 game. I am not be sure, but I know we had atleast 5 turnovers, plus Hardy dropped a sure touchdown when he was on the 5. The FB/TE had some possible big gains negated because of....falling down after catching the ball?

The defense really stepped up. They were on the field a lot becuase of poor offense and costly turnovers. I couldnt have been more pleased with the pressure we had on the QB tonight. McKeon played decent, but I really wanted to see Dilliard getting some snaps. Looks like he will be forced into that now with Octavien down. Bradley was solid, fighting off blocks and bringing the heat from the outside for some sacks. Bowman looks like he has the size and speed to shut down a go to receiver, I don't see why he wasn't out there more.

Good to see some excitement from Special Teams. We had more punt return yards tonight then all of last year. Returns from Nunn really shifted momentum and fired up the crowd and team.

I say give it a few games, you might be surprised at how we look.

The offensive line did not look good tonight. There really never was a play where our RB's could break a big gain. Dont give me this BS that Cory had a bad game tonight-he ran where he was supposed to and the line didn't make a hole. You can't ask him to break 2 or 3 tackles just to make a respectable gain. Pass protection was shaky too. Taylor was never able to get into a rhythm because of having to throw from 3rd and long every drive after two unsuccessful run plays.

Cory was horrible tonight because he couldn't hold onto the ball. Yards mean absolutely nothing when you put it on the turf. The lines horrible run blocking killed our run game but I don't see how you can say the pass blocking was shaky. The 2 sacks were both coverage sacks because ZT sat in the pocket for 7-8 seconds.

The FB/TE had some possible big gains negated because of....falling down after catching the ball?

The TE falling down after catching the ball was entirely ZT's fault. He led them too much and made them dive for the ball.