Where's the beef? Future NU schedules

Nexus

I think somewhat overlooked is Tom Osborne talking about how once we get into the Big 10 schedule (especially when it's 9 conference games), you can't schedule a lot of tough OOC opponents because you are playing so many in-conference tough matchups already. It sounded based on that, like we were heading for some more patsies.

I know this year's schedule isn't that great, but we've played VT twice, and USC twice. I think we have had some nice marquee matchups in recent years. I think USC was scheduled before Pederson; not sure about VT.

How much is Idaho and South Dakota State getting? What did Western KY get?

They'll all get a decent some of money (around the $1,000,000 mark). The fact of the matter is that Boise State (at least in our situation) is trying to get top dog status for bottom feeder money, and that's not how it works. You don't pay bigger schools big time money to play you. That is reserved for the weaker almost "guaranteed" wins.

Which to me is interesting, especially when you consider if one of these teams ever actually wins (a la Appalachian State vs. Michigan). They probably got a ridiculously sum of money AND beat one of the most prestigious programs in the country. Not bad for a days work.

But if we pay $800,000 to Idaho, why not pay Boise St. $1,000,000? I don't see the big problem here. If it was a ton of money more than others were asking, then I could see it.

Put yourself in the athletic department. Pay $1 million dollars to a team that has a really good shot of beating you, or pay $800,000 dollars to Idaho and guarantee yourself a win as well as all of the PPV money? The money we get from primetime games gets split up among the conference, but Nebraska gets all the PPV money.

The fact of the matter is that Boise State wants people to take them seriously, but wants to get bottom feeder money for playing these schools. That isn't how the system works. No big time university (Florida, Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, etc.) is going to pay that kind of money to Boise State.

The fact of the matter is that Boise State (at least in our situation) is trying to get top dog status for bottom feeder money, and that's not how it works. You don't pay bigger schools big time money to play you. That is reserved for the weaker almost "guaranteed" wins.

I don't understand that either. Boise wants to be taken seriously and be put in a BCS bowl for their accomplishments, but then want huge money for away games, like they're a bottom feeder.

Exactly. They want top dog status for bottom feeder money, which is one of the many reasons big time schools are staying away from them. It's not because we're afraid of losing..it's because that is far too much money to give to a program that has a really good shot of beating you. Pure and simple, you don't pay that kind of money to a Top 25 program regardless of their conference of financial foothold.

We may be Nebraska and we may bring in a lot of revenue because of the football program, but we can't go around dropping $1 million on every team we want to play, especially if that team has a good chance of beating us.