Never Show More than you have to . . .

Now I know everyone is freaking out about the lack of offense last night.  I was there, as many of you were, and I will say that at times it was tough not to whine about things.  However, I think I am going to give Norvell and Callahan a bit of credit from a different angle.  After about the 10th delay draw um the middle, I realized that we were really only running variations of about three plays against Maine.  Now everyone knows that Taylor and guys like Ross and and good portion of the line knows more plays than that.  I guess my point is that maybe Cally wanted to keep it simple on offense and not bust out anything good in the first game.  I refuse to completely blame the lackluster rushing totals on the O-line.  There is only so many times you can run dives and draws out of a one back set before it gets shut down.  Maybe Cally wanted it that way.  Hold out hope for more preplanned creativity agianst Wake.  Any thoughts?

I don't buy it, players have to pick it up and play. This is on their shoulders. Vanilla or not, it was an inferior oppponent. Without turnovers, the Huskers put up 40.

I agree.

Mistakes are what this team, any team, needs to minimize. Especially this team. We aren't going to win many with dropped passes and fumbles inside the 10. I don't care who is coaching or who is even playing. You can't do that.

how can any coach be so bad at play calling?? 3 passes from the 1 yard line?

hell, you would think we had no running backs whatsoever?? what was Cally thinking???? :wtf   :wtf   :wtf

hunter

Hunter i am in agreement with your point 100%. I dont know of one coach who would throw it that many times on the two. If he had lost confidence in Cory. There were still more backs who could have DEFINENTLY got it done. We still won by 18. I will take it. They better play a whole hell of alot better in the future. Especialy protecting the freaking ball.

I don't have a problem with throwing from that close, however, I think there needs to be some play action in that case. With a quick throw. When too much time passes, and having such a short field, it will be tough if no one is open almost immediately given that the whole defense will be within 10-15 yards of the ball. IMO

That would have had a much better chance than what they did. I still am in amazement that they didnt run it in though. I was always taught that that close to the endzone you have the secondary in close quaters. Less field to defend makes it easier to cover. Gives much more chance of a pick. They were lucky that wasnt the outcome IMO.

I'm amazed no one is pissed that our O Line couldn't even block a D2 team's defensive front. I mean the difference between D1 and D2 is like taking Creighton Prep and playing a class C2 team. Not only did Maine not have our numbers, they didn't even compare when talent is considered. Even if BC was keeping the offense vanilla, our OL should have been able to push the defense back. It didn't happen.

So far our stud QB is 0-2, meaning 0 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. He's less than 50% for a completion rate. So far, he's worse than Dailey. Taylor should be well seasoned playing teams like Maine. I mean for Christ's sake he did play D2 ball.

Nunn, what can I say. He had a bad game. He dropped passes and fumbled punts. It seems he either simply can't catch, or his concentration just wasn't there. My only question is why keep throwing him the ball when he keeps dropping the damn thing?

The defense played well, but how well? Last year when we opened the season, everyone thought the offense was going to be great. Well, it wasn't. This year, the defense played awesome. However, we don't have many offensive giants like Maine on the remainder of the schedule. I have to admit, I'm scared shitless about the rest of the year. At least Wake Forest got throttled. Maybe we can have a good game and momentum builder next week, because we sure didn't get it this week.

I agree with most of your points, but I don't think that we can say that "he's worse than Dailey" by any stretch. Last year, the offensive line was considered a major weak point, and played better than many expected. Joe had less pressure. As you noted, in the Maine game it was the opposite - the line didn't produce. Given that Dailey struggled even with good protection, I would venture to guess that his performance against Maine would have been significantly worse than Taylor's.