Jake Locker as fast as Martinez

mnhusker

well at 6'1 205 he also is more compact and lighter then locker. so that helps. you say that taylor made your jaw drop on his first run. well the same goes for locker. hes a freak for his size. and hopefully Sark unleashes him, ans was holding back last week.

Please read my post again. I have been watching Locker since he was a Freshman when he was unleashed. His running ability never made my jaw drop. Sorry. We have had a QB win a heisman on that ability alone.

At this time, Jake Locker is simply a much better QB than Taylor Martinez, as well as being a tremendous freak athlete with supposed 4.4 speed (40 times only mean so much, anyway).

That doesn't mean he'll win the game, but let's deal with reality here...Martinez executes a beautiful ball fake and runs the ball pretty well. Let's not act like that is the end all, be all to quarterbacking. He has a long way to go, but certainly some potential.

Tmart only "runs the ball pretty well"? Geesh zoogies, I know you'll never be happy until they bench him for Lee but c'mon....he's leading the nation in 13.5 ypc with five TDs. Lee couldn't run that quick if you shoved him out of an airplane.

But I'm glad you see he has "some potential". Lastly, it's debatable how much better a cfb (not NFL) qb Locker really is. We'll have a good idea very soon.

Where's he on passing, bshirt?

I'm being realistic, is all. Some are looking at two creampuff games and proclaiming him to be our savior. You of all people should know better. You really think he'll hold down 13.5 ypc throughout the year? If I had to guess, he would be doing well to hold onto half of that by the end of the year.

Locker is widely regarded as one of the premier quarterbacks in college football. He hasn't put up the production to match the hype, but neither has Taylor. Locker is simply pretty far ahead of Taylor right now, and I don't think that's a debatable point. Will Taylor end up better than him? Conceivable, but that would be a big projection at this point. What do you want me to do? Bow down and proclaim Taylor the most amazing runner that's walked the earth, with an infinite realm of potential? He's done well so far, but I mean, hoooooooooold those horses.

He's 21 of 32 for 66% passing. And that's with at least three drops that I can recall at the moment. With a grand total of "one" interceptions.

What does a qb gotta do to get your acceptance not named Z. Lee? Run for 900 yds a game and throw ten TDs a game?

But yeah, Lee looked great vs the creampuffs last year too, I'll definately give you that. Heh, one of us will be dead wrong Saturday.....I hope it's you!!! Haha.....but if not, I look forward to a ten gallon bowl of crow.

GBR!!!

:koolaid2:

Here's the thing. Martinez is 21/32, 65.6% on the year, 242 yards, 0 picks, 1 INT. He also has 21 rushes for an unreal 284 yards and 5 scores. Lee, after two games last year - 42/57, 73.7%, 453 yards, 6 TDs, 1 INT through the air. To me, doesn't matter how you get the yards and the scores. We know very little about the kind of quarterback that this TMagic kid is yet. He will define himself over the course of the season.

I stand by my statement that Locker is far ahead of Martinez right now and it isn't much of a discussion. That said, I fully expect Locker to be bottled up in this game and the Huskers to roll. Unless the Wash defense is pretty good, Taylor can break a few more runs.

Is Locker a better all-around QB than Martinez right now? I think that's a pretty easy argument to make. However, on this message board in particular, I think people get into arguments over QB's without taking into account the system that they're in. For example, I still look at Tommie Frazier and Turner Gill as two of the best college QB's of all time, while any NFL scout would come along and tell me that Locker is better. But that NFL scout is looking at NFL potential, which I don't give a crap about.

Same thing between Zac Lee and Martinez... You may still see Zac Lee as a better all-around QB, and maybe he is, but given the option/run-oriented direction of the new offense, there's no question that Martinez fits the system better. As far as Locker and Martinez, while Locker might be the better all-around QB, I think that Nebraska's offense may exploit Martinez's strengths better than Washington exploits Locker's.

A lot of these arguments come down to your individual perspective. In 1997, everybody in the country knew that Peyton Manning was going to be the next great QB in the NFL, while Scott Frost might get to play safety. But QB Scott Frost was just as effective in his system as Manning was in his. Go back and watch the game if you don't believe me.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Martinez will look quite as fast as he does playing against a team with a 22 game losing streak like WKU or ranked #91 like Idaho.

(this is an interesting site btw

http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2010.htm )

I'm sure you don't. But I'm sure Gabbert will look just as splendid against Nebraska as he did against Illinois. Right?

Yea... I'd hate to see him go 34 of 48 for 281 yds and 2 TD's. That would suck.

Zac Lee looked fast against Arizona. Need I say more?

That's because Zac Lee IS fast.

Not Locker fast or Martinez fast probably, but he is fast. Is he a dynamite runner? Probably not. Does he same some serious open field speed? Yes.

Hercules, I think the difference is that Locker is a senior and Martinez isn't close to being his finished product. If Martinez is going to actually start running the system well, as opposed to running some zone reads well, then he needs to sharpen up things like pre-snap blitz recognition that caused problems against Idaho. None of this means much about the outcome of the game of course.

-locker runs 4.4

-martinez runs 4.5

locker is a target with no o-line, while martinez has good linemen in front of him. i think i'm not going to be quick to crown him because of the lack of competition.

Source? Make that RELIABLE source?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskyfootballblog/2012421961_checking_in_with_ivan_lewis.html?syndication=rss

Apparently you misinterpret the word reliable. I'm definitely going to believe that. No.

So after watching Locker's highlight tape, he has a cannon of an arm and has a bunch of 10-15 yard scrambles. Show me where he breaks one off and separates.

Zac Lee looked fast against Arizona. Need I say more?

I'm sorry, but Locker puts Lee to shame in every aspect of his game. That Locker run against AZ was impressive. Give the guy credit.