NU Offense Trending Sharply Upwards

knapplc

He may not have gotten stupid over night, but his offense sure can get SUCKY overnight.

Too many towerring highs, followed by abyss like lows.

I'm constantly reminded of how similar these types of comments are to similar comments made in the late 80's and early 90's about Osborne. TO's offense didn't change much, but he was suddenly a genius when he got the right combination of talent. Remember that in 1991 Miami held TO's offense to 171 total yards (82 rushing) while shutting out NU 22-0. The bitching after that season was eerily similar to the bitching about Watson right now.

He may not have gotten stupid over night, but his offense sure can get SUCKY overnight.

Too many towerring highs, followed by abyss like lows.

I'm constantly reminded of how similar these types of comments are to similar comments made in the late 80's and early 90's about Osborne. TO's offense didn't change much, but he was suddenly a genius when he got the right combination of talent. Remember that in 1991 Miami held TO's offense to 171 total yards (82 rushing) while shutting out NU 22-0. The bitching after that season was eerily similar to the bitching about Watson right now.

yep, Osborne "couldn't win the big ones." Some folks were even talking about needing a better coach.

The difference is Osborne was in the orange bowl playing Miami. We had an offense ranked in the 100s last year. A couple years before that we STUNK w Keller, then alright w Ganz and crew. Then, crap...now, pretty good, but it remains to be seen.

Numerous threads on this board has pointed to Watsons full body of work in the B12(including CU) and it's not too pretty. Especially when u take out the couple years we were good under clownahan.

Watsons alright, but he has had some CRAPPY, inconsistent offenses since he's been here

I will add that there was some attachment w Osbornes offense as an identity, which was kind of "live by the sword, die by the sword" feeling, which was separate from the "can't win the big one" feeling... Over the last 2-3 years we have definetly struggled w/ our identity under Watson. Now that the O is generally improved, I still don't buy the stupid overnight comments. I don't recall people calling him stupid, we just wanted some consistent identity and production

Well, since you asked......... No, I'm not sold on Watson by any means. I think that he has a tendency to shoot himself in the foot, because he's an incessant tinkerer during times when he should just be going with what is working. When he can consistently field an offense that is capable of putting a good number of points on the board against quality competition, I'll begin to change my mind. As someone pointed out, his teams seem to be pretty up and down. His track record is that he's a good OC overall, but we want greatness--not mere "goodness."

I think you can still have issues with what happened last year and praise him for this year.. (if this offense turns out to be as good as it looks this year)

My issue was injuries and talent completely shut this offense down last year. It came to an unacceptable level of ineptness..

A great OC would have figured out how to generate some offense last year. I can accept there will be years where the offense will be up or down. But, we should never be falling down to the 100's nationally in offensive production.. If we do, he's to blame. Just as he's to be credited when we're good.

I think your post sums it ip nicely. A great offense this year doesn't negate a truly horrible offense last year. We're Nebraska and excuses are only that. But credit is given where credit is due......and so far this offense is pure dynamite. Major kudos to SW!

Well I dont think he will be here in the next 2 or 3 years. U can bank on that. I just dont see him staying. And as for cotton I dont have a problem with him seems like he does good on the recruiting job. I just guess sum ppls think they can do a job better then others. Hmmm thats something ill have 2 think about