Big 12 Conference will suffer with 10 teams

Well, I'm not going to claim to know the mind of Texas. I wouldn't want that stigma on me. :)

Perhaps the Longhorns will never go to the SEC. Could be. The larger point of the conversation remains, though, that conference expansion likely isn't done and that Texas and the nine dwarves won't last as a conference as is.

Well, I'm not going to claim to know the mind of Texas. I wouldn't want that stigma on me. :)

Perhaps the Longhorns will never go to the SEC. Could be. The larger point of the conversation remains, though, that conference expansion likely isn't done and that Texas and the nine dwarves won't last as a conference as is.

I've always said, you are no chip brown.

also, i could see the big 12 surviving for a while, especially if the other conferences stop expanding. think about it, TU has everything it wants; complete control and however much money it wants from extorting it from the big 12. OU, osu, ttu, baylor, and even aTm will just follow tu, even if tu goes down the toilet. isu, mizzou, ku, and ksu are not happy, but as happy as they are going to be and a weakened big 12 is still better than the lesser, non-AQ conferences.

also, i like the article in the op. truth to power. er, dan beebe.

Ha....I don't blame you!

Oh yeah, the Texas10 won't last long. Thank God we got out of there......

I'm skeptical of the Big 12's long term viability with just 10 teams. The future configuration reminds me of the old Big 8 when it was Nebraska, Oklahoma and the 6 dwarfs. Someone mentioned Tech, A&M and OK Lite in an earlier post as being teams not to forget. I see a big difference in resources, fan base and tradition between OU & UT and the rest of the remaining schools. If BYU doesn't join the Big 12 and enjoys some success as an independent, I can see Texas stepping out on their own too. Nebraska considered that when examining their options before seeking out the Big 10. It all comes down to $$$. Texas is the pretty girl at the dance right now. Everyone wants her. It used to be Notre Dame. Still attractive, but not the hottest ticket in town. While I am going to miss the Huskers playing in Texas on a regular basis, I am pleased with the move to the Big 10. Long term it's a great move. Good fit too. That's all I have for now. Go Big Red!!

I'm skeptical of the Big 12's long term viability with just 10 teams. The future configuration reminds me of the old Big 8 when it was Nebraska, Oklahoma and the 6 dwarfs. Someone mentioned Tech, A&M and OK Lite in an earlier post as being teams not to forget. I see a big difference in resources, fan base and tradition between OU & UT and the rest of the remaining schools. If BYU doesn't join the Big 12 and enjoys some success as an independent, I can see Texas stepping out on their own too. Nebraska considered that when examining their options before seeking out the Big 10. It all comes down to $$$. Texas is the pretty girl at the dance right now. Everyone wants her. It used to be Notre Dame. Still attractive, but not the hottest ticket in town. While I am going to miss the Huskers playing in Texas on a regular basis, I am pleased with the move to the Big 10. Long term it's a great move. Good fit too. That's all I have for now. Go Big Red!!

I'd say the future for the Big 12 looks like the the Big 10's past. Prior to Penn St. joining the Big 10, it was a 10 team league, with two good teams (OSU and Michigan) a few occasional one hit wonders (MSU, Purdue, Wisconsin, Iowa), the rest being chump teams that have a good season once a generation. The new Big 12 is pretty similar: 10 teams, with two good teams (Texas and OU) a few occasional one hit wonders (MU, OSU, A&M and Texas Tech), with the rest being chump teams that have a good season once a generation. You can argue about which teams fit into which category, but the pre-PSU Big 10 looks a lot like the new Big 12(-2).

Similarly, the new Big 10(+2) looks more like what the Big 12 looked like when it first came into existence...

Texas will never go fully independent. They need a home for their non-revenue teams. They cannot manage Title 9 or a basketball schedule independent. In the end, if they go independent they will have to join up with some sh**ty conference to manage their non-revenues and in the end probably take a hit outside of football. This will reduce the clout a Longhorn Network will hold because the Volleyball, Basketball, etc. matches won't hold as many eyeballs.