Who's the next commit?

GMoose

Does anyone know "roughly" how many spots we still have remaining?

We have somewhere close to 19 seniors on scholarship. Add in 2-3 due to attrition, and maybe 1 of Crick, Dennard, or Kinnie going NFL early and my rough estimate would be around 22-23 for this class. Maybe 10 spots left? That's a pretty rough estimate.

assuming marsh is counted as part of this class, we've got 14 now and currently have room under he 85 limit for 7 more. assuming some attrition, i think we'll probably max out the 25, or at least get to 24 (and save one for a walk-on). that means 10 or 11 more recruits.

We currently have 84 players on scholarship (Mike Smith also is still on a normal scholarship which is why we're leaving one open, in case he comes back next year, if he goes medical, he can't play again)

Of those 85, 20 are seniors including Smith. I don't think Smith will be back, so i'll go with 21 spots. We have Marsh and Heard coming midyear (hopefully) which will give us 19 open. Gilmore said today he expected to sign 21-22 players so they are expecting attrition. So we have probably 8 or 9 left.

i didn't count smith or heard in my numbers. if heard does make it, i assume he and marsh would count as part of the 2011 class, so it appears our estimates are pretty close (one off). (i say 24-25, including those two, and heard would also be one of the 10-11 more once he actually qualifies.)

by the way, i obviously can't pretend to know more about our recruiting than gilmore, but he does have a couple of factors to keep in mind - it's to our benefit to act like there are fewer spots than there are, to increase the sense of urgency in securing one, and also, he can't exactly advertise too many open spots before they actually open. historically, it has been common for the talks with players about their realistic chances for future playing time to take place after the season is over, allowing us to better know which ones might try their luck somewhere else.

Does anyone know "roughly" how many spots we still have remaining?

We have somewhere close to 19 seniors on scholarship. Add in 2-3 due to attrition, and maybe 1 of Crick, Dennard, or Kinnie going NFL early and my rough estimate would be around 22-23 for this class. Maybe 10 spots left? That's a pretty rough estimate.

assuming marsh is counted as part of this class, we've got 14 now and currently have room under he 85 limit for 7 more. assuming some attrition, i think we'll probably max out the 25, or at least get to 24 (and save one for a walk-on). that means 10 or 11 more recruits.

We currently have 84 players on scholarship (Mike Smith also is still on a normal scholarship which is why we're leaving one open, in case he comes back next year, if he goes medical, he can't play again)

Of those 85, 20 are seniors including Smith. I don't think Smith will be back, so i'll go with 21 spots. We have Marsh and Heard coming midyear (hopefully) which will give us 19 open. Gilmore said today he expected to sign 21-22 players so they are expecting attrition. So we have probably 8 or 9 left.

i didn't count smith or heard in my numbers. if heard does make it, i assume he and marsh would count as part of the 2011 class, so it appears our estimates are pretty close (one off). (i say 24-25, including those two, and heard would also be one of the 10-11 more once he actually qualifies.)

by the way, i obviously can't pretend to know more about our recruiting than gilmore, but he does have a couple of factors to keep in mind - it's to our benefit to act like there are fewer spots than there are, to increase the sense of urgency in securing one, and also, he can't exactly advertise too many open spots before they actually open. historically, it has been common for the talks with players about their realistic chances for future playing time to take place after the season is over, allowing us to better know which ones might try their luck somewhere else.

Assuming that we do only have 8 spots left, what 8 do we want? I mean we are recruiting a lot of good players right now and seem to be in good position with them too.

i'm assuming 10 open spots (including heard's, as i am yet to be convinced he's a sure thing) and would like to see the following positions:

1-2 RB - heard and green

1-2 WR - evans? denham?

1 TE - leonard would be nice, but i'd be surprised

1 OL - hobbi is obviously the big fish here, would consider another if someone commits before him

2-3 DL - peat and/or johnson for DT and at least one DE. drew's probably a pipe dream, maybe hayes.

1 LB - lewis, vergile?

2 DB - jackson, lyons or cash would be ideal.

nice that we're in on such good prospects, and you know there'll be a couple of surprises later on.

i'm assuming 10 open spots (including heard's, as i am yet to be convinced he's a sure thing) and would like to see the following positions:

1-2 RB - heard and green

1-2 WR - evans? denham?

1 OL - hobbi is obviously the big fish here, would consider another if someone commits before him

2-3 DL - peat and/or johnson for DT and at least one DE. drew's probably a pipe dream, maybe hayes.

1 LB - lewis, vergile?

nice that we're in on such good prospects, and you know there'll be a couple of surprises later on.

Personally I think the staff will not take a commit from anyone prior to Hobbi making his call. Hobbi would be the icing on the cake for arguably the best OL recruit class in the nation. This is actually the one guy I want to pull the trigger the most. Like I said a future left side of the line consisting of Reeves, Hobbi, and Moore could make any RB look like an All American.

1-2 RB - heard and green

1-2 WR - evans? denham?

1 LB - lewis, vergile?

Personally I think the staff will not take a commit from anyone prior to Hobbi making his call. Hobbi would be the icing on the cake for arguably the best OL recruit class in the nation. This is actually the one guy I want to pull the trigger the most. Like I said a future left side of the line consisting of Reeves, Hobbi, and Moore could make any RB look like an All American.

I don't see them pulling the trigger on anyone 'but' Hobbi or another highly regarded (ranked) player. The class is fairly solid in it's current form, and with A-Rod, Sirles, Ash, Moudy, Pensick - adding a 5th who isn't a sure thing doesn't seem like a gamble worth taking IMO. I'd rather see them go after an under-the-radar WR or TE than an OL.

I don't see them pulling the trigger on anyone 'but' Hobbi or another highly regarded (ranked) player. The class is fairly solid in it's current form, and with A-Rod, Sirles, Ash, Moudy, Pensick - adding a 5th who isn't a sure thing doesn't seem like a gamble worth taking IMO. I'd rather see them go after an under-the-radar WR or TE than an OL.

we need a 5th OL, though i agree we should only offer good recruits ;). i get the impression that we would accept a commit from the guy that visited this weekend and would then still take hobbi (or conceivably one of our other top OL recruits) to make it 6 if it comes to that.

obviously, it would be best if we could get hobbi in now, call it good, and focus on other positions, but he's no sure thing and we can't afford to come up short on OL numbers after a short class last year.