Kinnie Has Not Scored A Touchdown - Yet

knapplc

Huskers WR Kinnie confident his first TD will come

By ERIC OLSON

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP)—Brandon Kinnie is Nebraska’s leading receiver, a dependable downfield blocker and an emerging threat as a kick returner.

He just wishes he could score a touchdown.

The junior receiver looked to be on the way to his first career TD at Washington last week but was taken down inches short of the goal line.

Is the scoring drought bugging him?

“I can’t lie to you, it is just a little bit,” he said, laughing. “It’ll come.”

Kinnie has built on a strong second half of the 2009 season to move to the top of the receiving chart through three games with 14 catches for 181 yards. He’s proudest of his improvement as a blocker. One of his blocks against Washington sprung Roy Helu loose for a 65-yard touchdown last week.

With no touchdowns of his own, Kinnie admits living vicariously through others when he helps clear a path to the end zone.

“It feels good because it feels like I scored as well,” Kinnie said. “I run after him after he’s done and jump on him, knowing I helped him do that.”

Kinnie had no trouble finding the end zone at Fort Scott (Kan.) Community College in 2008, catching 62 balls for 845 yards and 10 touchdowns.

He was plenty raw when he showed up at Nebraska last year, receivers coach Ted Gilmore said.

“The thing I noticed is he has strong hands. He’s a big, physical guy, and in this league that’s a plus,” Gilmore said. “He had functional speed. By no means is he a blazer. But he can get in and out of his cuts.”

Kinnie had one reception his first five games last season, then had 14 over the final eight. When he reported for preseason practice, he made it clear he wanted to be considered as big a playmaker as Niles Paul.

“The minute he showed up on campus Brandon wanted to do good things and show he belongs here,” Gilmore said.

He focused solely on playing receiver last year but jumped at the chance to run back kicks when special teams coordinator John Papuchis asked him to try it. He had returns of 39 and 36 yards against Washington.

Now, if only he could score.

Kinnie just about had a touchdown last year in the Big 12 championship game against Texas. He caught what would have been the go-ahead TD pass in the fourth quarter just inches out of bounds on third-and-goal from the 11. Nebraska lost 13-12.

He was reminded of that near-miss this summer when a picture of the catch was featured on the cover of a preseason magazine. That only made him more determined to break through as soon as possible this season.

He caught five balls for a career-high 105 yards against Washington, including a career-long 55-yarder that would have been a 56-yard touchdown if Nate Williams hadn’t stopped Kinnie just short of the end zone.

“I thought he was faster than that,” Gilmore said.

Quarterback Taylor Martinez scored on the next play, but Gilmore said it would have been Kinnie if he would have switched the ball to his outside arm and stiff-armed Williams.

Maybe Kinnie’s chance will come again Saturday against South Dakota State. If not, Kinnie will keep plugging.

“We’re winning,” he said, “and that’s the most important part.”

Kinnie scored in the 1st quarter against Washington and I know I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Kinnie DEFINITELY scored on that play. He was more in the end zone than Locker was on his scramble in the ensuing drive.

I hate to gripe about officiating during a blowout win so I haven't said much, but that was as bad of a home job as I've ever seen.

Kinnie DEFINITELY scored on that play. He was more in the end zone than Locker was on his scramble in the ensuing drive.

I hate to gripe about officiating during a blowout win so I haven't said much, but that was as bad of a home job as I've ever seen.

I agree. I watched the game at my parents house and my dad has been officiating High School Football since 88' and he couldn't believe that it wasn't ruled a TD. We both wanted a replay and an offical booth replay and never got one. Since they never reviewed the play we played it back over and over and still couldn't believe that it wasn't ruled a TD. Oh well we still won......by a lot :lol:

I also agree that since it was a blow out win I really haven't talked much about that TD and why the officals didn't replay that play to confirm whether it was in fact a TD or not.

I officiate Football and I hate it when I have coaches and fans breathing down my neck but yet I do it while watching football games :facepalm:

Kinnie scored in the 1st quarter against Washington and I know I'm not the only one who thinks that.

I watched half of the game last night on my DVR to review it, and I watched that play at least 4 times and it was an obvious TD.

I watched this game like three times already. The refs had major problems spotting the ball. I counted three times where the line judge would run in and mark the spot with his foot, and then place the ball anywhere from a half yard to full yard away from his foot. Thought this was kind of strange.

I don't think it was strange at all. They were consistently wrong in favor of Washington. It got so bad that in the third or fourth quarter (after Bo's challenge, if I recall correctly) there was a play where Burkhead ran the ball close to the marker, and you clearly see him get up, look at the head line judge (the guy on the Washington sideline), then turn around and jog toward the middle of the field to toss the ball to the lineman, even though the head line judge was standing almost right next to him. The players knew they were getting robbed by that guy. Bo challenged that spot just to let them know he was onto them.

I don't think it was strange at all. They were consistently wrong in favor of Washington. It got so bad that in the third or fourth quarter (after Bo's challenge, if I recall correctly) there was a play where Burkhead ran the ball close to the marker, and you clearly see him get up, look at the head line judge (the guy on the Washington sideline), then turn around and jog toward the middle of the field to toss the ball to the lineman, even though the head line judge was standing almost right next to him. The players knew they were getting robbed by that guy. Bo challenged that spot just to let them know he was onto them.

I distinctly remember that. I think it was a 3rd and short play and Burkhead just made it to the 1st down marker. They shorted Rex about a half-yard when the finally spotted the ball.

Yup the referees were awful that day and it showed. They had bad mechanics (signals) and the line judge on Washington's side seemed like he wasn't ready for this big game for the Pac 10. He spotted the ball wrong several times and hesitated on several others. He even signaled for a TD and then quickly put his hands down like nothing happened which I believe was T-Marts 2nd touchdown of the game.

Well, I said it was strange because I thought I was losing it or maybe my vision was going bad. As I said, there were three times that I counted where the spot of the ball was wrong. I specifically remember a couple times where the line judge's foot was in the right spot, but then they would mark it a yard in front or back of his foot in favor of Washington. I mean, it was blatant.