Suh sticking with aggressive style

Nexus

Allen Park -- Ndamukong Suh didn't lose more than four games his last two seasons at Nebraska.

On Sunday, he will try to help the Lions avoid four losses the first four games of his pro career.

Advertisement

"I am definitely not used to losing, but there are certain ways to deal with it," he said. "You can't do anything about those other three weeks. There's still 13 more to go, so we have a lot of time left to make up and get better."

He was a lot calmer talking about that than he was the topic of his roughing the passer penalty against the Vikings last week.

"I couldn't care less about the penalties," he said. "Penalties don't mean anything to me. Obviously, it was a mistake at the time (it nullified a sack-fumble). I've made some good plays and I've made some bad plays. That happened to be a bad play and they made the call. So be it."

Suh, while being blocked, reached for quarterback Brett Favre's arm. He got his helmet and part of the face mask instead.

"I am going to continue to get after the quarterback," Suh said. "I am still going to reach for them, no matter what. I may try and get at them a different way but I am not changing the way I play."

That's perfectly OK with the coaching staff.

"There is a difference between making aggressive penalties and not knowing what to do," coach Jim Schwartz said. "There's a difference between jumping offsides and hitting a quarterback in the head when you have a 330-pound offensive lineman on you and you are trying to knock the ball out and the quarterback ducks."

"If you start trying to coach players out of that then you're not getting anywhere."

Suh's 12 total tackles is tied for fourth among defensive tackles, and his two sacks are tied for the most. He has helped the Lions lead the league in negative-yardage plays by a defense. They are second in sacks.

So how has he managed to keep his fighting spirit through three dispiriting losses?

"For me it's simple," he said. "I know how great we are playing as a unit, but I don't think we've played our best game so far in these three losses. Until we play our best game, and the coaches and the players agree that it was the best game, and we still lose, then it becomes a problem.

"But we haven't played a full-out penalty-free or mistake-free game, and been on all cylinders and lost. That's where my encouragement is."

LINK

Allen Park -- Ndamukong Suh didn't lose more than four games his last two seasons at Nebraska.

On Sunday, he will try to help the Lions avoid four losses the first four games of his pro career.

Advertisement

"I am definitely not used to losing, but there are certain ways to deal with it," he said. "You can't do anything about those other three weeks. There's still 13 more to go, so we have a lot of time left to make up and get better."

He was a lot calmer talking about that than he was the topic of his roughing the passer penalty against the Vikings last week.

"I couldn't care less about the penalties," he said. "Penalties don't mean anything to me. Obviously, it was a mistake at the time (it nullified a sack-fumble). I've made some good plays and I've made some bad plays. That happened to be a bad play and they made the call. So be it."

Suh, while being blocked, reached for quarterback Brett Favre's arm. He got his helmet and part of the face mask instead.

"I am going to continue to get after the quarterback," Suh said. "I am still going to reach for them, no matter what. I may try and get at them a different way but I am not changing the way I play."

"There is a difference between making aggressive penalties and not knowing what to do," coach Jim Schwartz said. "There's a difference between jumping offsides and hitting a quarterback in the head when you have a 330-pound offensive lineman on you and you are trying to knock the ball out and the quarterback ducks."

"If you start trying to coach players out of that then you're not getting anywhere."

Suh's 12 total tackles is tied for fourth among defensive tackles, and his two sacks are tied for the most. He has helped the Lions lead the league in negative-yardage plays by a defense. They are second in sacks.

So how has he managed to keep his fighting spirit through three dispiriting losses?

"For me it's simple," he said. "I know how great we are playing as a unit, but I don't think we've played our best game so far in these three losses. Until we play our best game, and the coaches and the players agree that it was the best game, and we still lose, then it becomes a problem.

"But we haven't played a full-out penalty-free or mistake-free game, and been on all cylinders and lost. That's where my encouragement is."

LINK

I didnt know we went undefeated in 2008.

Advertisement

LINK

I didnt know we went undefeated in 2008.

I am sure they mean 4 games in each of his last two seasons and he is almost at #4 this season already. I did a double take on that at first. Just my guess though