I...killed...a...goat!

Sunday afternoon, after some walking, sweating, cursing, MISSING and a final stalk: I managed to run a big ol' .30 caliber bullet thru a speed-goat in Kolorado. Used my Savage 99 in .300 Savage (just a trifle LIGHT for goats...!) with an olllllllld weaver 3 power scope. Fun hunt. Went with one of my employees, he got HIS goat that day also. Not a trophy critter, but from what I can tell, a 'nice' goat for this neck of the woods. Learned some things;

my right eye has apparently died and only recovers from it's glazed foggy view after a LONG time of blinking and exercising it...

my 3 power scope is MINIMAL for my needs (see 'dead eye' above)...

dead antelope are QUITE rank in the 'smelly' department...

a 150 grain semi-jacketed .300 Savage bullet WILL travel THRU the ENTIRE length (from front to back!) of an antelope buck...

Good lessons.

Sunday afternoon, after some walking, sweating, cursing, MISSING and a final stalk: I managed to run a big ol' .30 caliber bullet thru a speed-goat in Kolorado. Used my Savage 99 in .300 Savage (just a trifle LIGHT for goats...!) with an olllllllld weaver 3 power scope. Fun hunt. Went with one of my employees, he got HIS goat that day also. Not a trophy critter, but from what I can tell, a 'nice' goat for this neck of the woods. Learned some things;

my right eye has apparently died and only recovers from it's glazed foggy view after a LONG time of blinking and exercising it...

a 150 grain semi-jacketed .300 Savage bullet WILL travel THRU the ENTIRE length (from front to back!) of an antelope buck...

Good lessons.

Congrats!

I think the bolded section might account for some of the smell.

I'm jealous . . . antelope is some of the finest wild game eating there is. Grill those backstraps! Yum!

Good lessons.

Congrats!

I think the bolded section might account for some of the smell.

I'm jealous . . . antelope is some of the finest wild game eating there is. Grill those backstraps! Yum!

Really, that good to eat? I never have eaten, but I have heard from numerous people that they stink regardless of whether they are gut shot or not.

Also, 150 grains being "too light?" I would think that a smaller caliber flat shooting magnum like a .25 WSM would be a good fit.

Really, that good to eat? I never have eaten, but I have heard from numerous people that they stink regardless of whether they are gut shot or not.

Also, 150 grains being "too light?" I would think that a smaller caliber flat shooting magnum like a .25 WSM would be a good fit.

Yeah, the 'too light' comment was a joke. I've only killed two goats. First one was accidentally gut shot (bad scope that didn't hold zero after a truck ride to the hunting area) and it tasted wayyyyyy better than any deer I've ever et. BUT, oddly, it didn't stink much either. Now this one? Holy Jammal Lord was he RANK! He wasn't gut shot, BUT he had been chasing another buck HARD right before I shot him, sooo.... I don't know WHAT to believe in regards to 'stinking goats' thoughts. There are two kind of opposite examples of the common logic.

• 2 weeks later...

• 6 months later...

Good lessons.

Wait a minute sailor... That was no goat that was Osama bin Laden.

T_O_B

:LOLtartar:rollin:LOLtartar