Bring on Texas

So, here are my thoughts on the game we've been looking forward to since last December.

At this point, I'm not even remotely worried about our defense's ability to shut down UT's offense. I think we're capable of shutting them out. The only guy that seems capable of making a big play is one of their backup running backs, D.J. Monroe, who has looked very fast, but I don't think the Blackshirts are going to give him or anyone else much space to work with.

Here are the two things that worry me: Our ability to throw the ball should Texas stop our running game, and turnovers.

Unlike Kansas State, I think Texas has a talented enough secondary to load the box with 7 or 8 guys, and play man coverage on the perimeter. If they're able to shut down our run, do we have the receivers to get open against man coverage? I think Taylor can make the throws, but can he always make the right decision? How will our pass blocking hold up against UT's fast and talented DE's? It was ugly at times last year, and they'll be bringing heat again with Sam Acho and Jackson Jeffcoat.

Which leads me to my next point: Turnovers. UT's defense is more than capable of forcing turnovers against us, especially with an inexperienced QB, WR's who have yet to prove to me they can beat elite defensive backs, and an entire offense full of players that apparently can't hold on to the ball. Seriously, even Rex Burkhead fumbled earlier tonight, and I didn't think that was possible. THIS is UT's best shot at scoring on us I think - either getting the ball deep in our territory, or just having one of their opportunistic ballhawks run one back for a score.

I know that UCLA and OU already put up 34 and 28 points on UT respectively, and if we put up that many, we should be sitting pretty. But while I think we have a much more explosive offense than either UCLA or OU, I still think we are more mistake prone.

Your thoughts?

I don't think the Texas defense has anywhere close to the world-class speed/talent as many claim or they could never have been lit up by OU or UCLA. The only defense in the BigXII that can stop NU is NU. When Tmart finds a seam he's going to blast by them just as badly as he did UW & KSU. Again, the notion that Texas has eleven defenders all having a full second or more less 40 yd dash time than other Pac10/BigXII teams is just silly.

Haha...with the SDSU fluke finally erased from my mind I'm convinced Tmart/Roy/Rex is almost unstoppable. Also, all the truly endless whining, sobbing, crying & gnashing of teeth regarding Tmart not being Joe Namath should finally start to settle down. The kid has proved vs two BCS teams (both on the road) he's a real-deal threat to score "anytime" with his feet. 40, 60, 80 yds.....anywhere, anytime. Who the heck needs the long ball when you can do that? He can throw the easy PA for medium to long gains too.

Texas's offense has almost "zero" running game and Gilbert will be throwing into the teeth of the best cfb secondary in America. I think Texas is toast in Lincoln. They "might" hold our offense to 28 points. Maybe. But that should easily be enough.

I don't think the Texas defense has anywhere close to the world-class speed/talent as many claim or they could never have been lit up by OU or UCLA.

I don't know if you're going by scores but the UCLA one is deceiving, as far as their defense is concerned. UCLA had 291 yards. Texas outgained them. IIRC 2 of the touchdowns were from turnovers inside the Texas 20, but I might be remembering wrong. I'm still confident we'll do well, but it will be more of a challenge.

I'm not too worried about Texas's offense though.

I don't think the Texas defense has anywhere close to the world-class speed/talent as many claim or they could never have been lit up by OU or UCLA.

I don't know if you're going by scores but the UCLA one is deceiving, as far as their defense is concerned. UCLA had 291 yards. Texas outgained them. IIRC 2 of the touchdowns were from turnovers inside the Texas 20, but I might be remembering wrong. I'm still confident we'll do well, but it will be more of a challenge.

I'm not too worried about Texas's offense though.

Yeah, I didn't see the game and was going by score. Well, that and KSU beat UCLA.

No doubt Texas has a good defense but they're gonna have their hands full bigtime. I agree Texas's offense will have to pray for a miracle.