The Future of Taylor Martinez

Well people continue to misunderstand the West Coast offense. I guarantee you Watson and Martinez have a healthy playbook of high-percentage mix-it-up WCO plays they can (and will) run. But the intention of the WCO is to maximize all offensive weapons so a defense can't shut you down by stocking up against one facet. This leads to the "take what the defense gives you" approach. And as long as a defense can't stop Taylor Martinez from getting 11 yards a carry (and any other running back he might fake to), you just keep running it. This isn't the abandonment of a failed offensive scheme, it's an adaptation driven by a very rare athlete who took even the coaches by surprise. If Cody Green were running these same plays, I don't think we'd be saying we're "back to Husker football." I think we'd be swearing at the television.

If you want to see what happens when a tough running quarterback operates a full-fledged WCO, see the world champion San Francisco 49ers with Steve Young. There's not a coach, player or fan who wouldn't want to be a part of that.

• Fire 1
  • 1 month later...