Pierre Allen plays with passion

Husker_x

Don't let the flashy smile and friendly voice fool you.

Pierre Allen says he can be a hot head.

So, what really sets off this seemingly even-keeled Nebraska defensive end?

"Just the smallest things," Allen said.

Such as?

"Stupidity."

He wasn't joking.

"I think I'm just a passionate person about what I'm doing, doing things right," Allen said. "I just play with a lot of passion. That's part of it."

If it sounds like Allen could be shirt-tail relation to the Pelinis, well, he'd take that as a compliment.

"We're all the same, all three of us," Allen said, referring to Nebraska coach Bo Pelini, and his brother, defensive coordinator Carl Pelini. "That's why we connect. That's why when I blow up, they understand me."

It's also why Allen has replaced Ndamukong Suh as a main leader on one of the nation's best defensive units.

"He plays with an anger," Carl Pelini said. "I encourage it. That's the kind of player I was. I love to see it.

"A lot of guys lose their cool and play with that fury, and they lose it. But I think it helps him. I think he plays better."

Allen's role from an X's and O's standpoint hasn't changed. His production through five games -- 21 tackles, including three for loss and 1 1/2 sacks -- is on pace to resemble his output last season.

The biggest difference for Allen is his leadership responsibility. He said he observed Suh and how the Heisman Trophy finalist led by example in his practice and preparation.

Allen does that, in addition to providing some vocal fire when needed.

"I've seen him blow up a couple of times," sophomore linebacker Alonzo Whaley said. "But that's part of being a football player. You can't be a soft-spoken guy and come out on Saturdays and not have some kind of edge."

Allen said he tries to take a positive approach when he speaks his mind. Everybody messes up, he reminds himself. Even the pros. Bad practices happen.

"If we're not doing what we're supposed to do, coaches shouldn't always have to tell us," Allen said. "Their job is to coach, not to get us to run hard, or get us to execute. I take that upon myself."

Allen, a family sciences major who's on track to graduate in December, recently began an internship at a group home. He wants to some day become a youth counselor and offer support the way Grant Laman supported Allen.

Laman was Allen's freshman football coach and basketball coach at Thomas Jefferson High School in Denver. So thankful was Allen for Laman's support that he asked him to be godfather of 4-year-old Pierre Allen Jr.

"He just helped me out. He stayed on top of me," Allen said. "He knew how important college was, and if it wasn't for college, I probably would've gone down the wrong road. We grew a close, close bond."

Now, his close bond with the Pelinis has helped Allen emerge as a leader.

"He doesn't speak until he needs to speak, but most of the time he leads by example and shows you what you need to do," Whaley said. "But if it comes down to it, he'll definitely speak up and say what needs to be said. People listen when he talks."

LINK