Welcome to Stillwater

Good morning, y'all.

Are many of you making the trip to Stillwater this Saturday?

As you have probably heard, this is our homecoming game. Gone are the Big 8 days of rotating KU/KSU/ISU to virtually assure a homecoming win (never mind the fact that they scheduled us, as well) . Noooo...we have to schedule Big Red. And I can't wait! I am going to miss having Nebraska in the Texas Big 12 though. Going to a game in Lincoln was my favorite of all the Big 12 away games I've attended over the years.

Parking:

Standard game day cluster. There are lots of places that sell parking close by for $10-30 - rental house yards, churches, etc. The City of Stillwater offers free parking downtown and rides to the stadium, info here.

Places to eat/drink...I've bolded my favorites:

If you take advantage of the free parking downtown, there are a couple of options.

Louie's Grill and Bar - 7th & Main. Localish chain. Has a great bar. Burgers, pizzas, salads, sammiches.

Aspen Coffee - Only a few food options, but good for your caffeine fix.

Cafe Bella - Sandwiches, wraps, salads.

Going south from the stadium on Knoblock:

Eskimo Joe's - 2 blocks south of the stadium. Typical bar food. I bolded it because, well, it's Eskimo Joe's. It's within sight of the stadium, so it will be insanely packed. If you come to Stillwater, but don't have tickets and can't find them, it's a good place to watch the game.

Stonewall Tavern - Good college bar. Smokey as hell. Luckily, they do have an outside seating area.

Qdoba - Straight south of the stadium on Knoblock just a few blocks.

Subway - Across street to south of Qdoba.

Cafe 88 - Chinese. Get takeout, as it's tough to get a seat even on regular days.

Hideaway Pizza. This is one of my favorite places and is about 4-5 blocks south of the stadium on Knoblock. On Friday night and all day Saturday, it will be constantly busy. My favorite coffee place in Stillwater is in the west end of the Hideaway, The Daily Grind.

Rancher's Club - It's the hotel restaurant for the on-campus hotel and does really good steaks. You must have a reservation. Pricey.

The Strip is where most of our bars are located. It's south of the stadium on Washington St. If Washington St were to run straight north into campus, it would run right into the library, to give you a perspective of where it is. My favorite place to eat on the strip is Crepe Myrtle, which has the best burgers in town, IMHO. There are a smattering of other places to eat on the strip (Pita Pit, Lushberry Yogurt, Coney Island, Kruzin Burger).

Going east from the stadium:

From about 2 blocks from the stadium going about 1/2 mile straight east of the stadium on Hall of Fame is a row of several restaurants, most of which are chains. In approximate order going east from the stadium, you'll find Panera Bread, Old School Bagel (fantastic local bagel shop, next door is a frozen yogurt place), Red Lobster, McAlister's Deli, Chili's, Joseppi's (Italian), Mexico Joe's (both part of the Stan Clark "Joe's" empire), and Chipotle Burrito.

Other places that you would have to drive:

Our Mexican food selection isn't stellar. Four of our Mex places are owned by the same families, and are all the standard Guadalajara style stuff. They're ok and the service is always speedy. El Tapatio (north), El Tapatio (south), El Vaquero (west), and Palomino's (NE). None are very close to the stadium, which is a plus, if you actually want to get into eat. Of those, Palomino's is newest/nicest, and usually the easiest to get in to. It's just a couple of miles from the stadium. Also Mexico Joe's, listed above.

Thai Cafe - One of my favorite places in town.

Tokyo Pot - Real gem of a place. Japanese Shabu Shabu. They slice beef insanely thin. Then you cook it in two different broths. Fun place to go and the food is really tasty.

Bad Brad's BBQ - Good bbq place, but it's fairly far east of town.

Of course, if the weather turns out to be nice, the tailgate scene will be fantastic. I just can't believe how tailgating has grown over the last few years for game day.

Feel free to ask questions!

• Fire 1

Thanks for the information Andy. Where would be the best place to tailgate at? What about drinking I assume better bring some cups.

KC, the whole campus turns into one big tailgate for games. The OSU forum I frequent, www.ostatesports.com, and the biggest OSU forum, www.orangepower.com, sponsor a huge tailgate. 'Official' announcement HERE. Please stop by - visitors are always welcome. I usually stop by that tailgate for a short bit, but have my own smaller tailgate with several other families.

OSU is officially a dry campus, but mysteriously turns into one giant beer can on game day. Open container laws are not enforced unless people are unruly or underage (and they do enforce both of those pretty regularly).

That's a good question about getting from Stillwater to Perry. The bars close at 2am. There is limited taxi service, but I don't know how far they would drive. Perry is known for Charles Machine Works (aka Ditch Witch), and very little else.

95husker - There is a quirky place to eat in Ponca City called The Rusty Barrell (sic). The entrance is in an alleyway. You have to knock on the door, the host slides open a little door, and asks you what you want. "Reservation for Dr. RosenRosen". Heh. Anyway, good steaks, reasonably priced. Don't know if you've ever heard of Head Country BBQ, but it's based in PC. Dougan's BBQ is also there. Both are better than any BBQ you might find in Stillwater.

yes!!!! mmm mmm. i worked in the stillwater area and allover okie for that matter about 4 in a half years ago. and the thing i miss the most is the BBQ mmm mmmmm i will be gettin me some of that. what area do the visitors usually tailgate? stadium parkiing lot? or one nearby? last time i was there the house of boone wasnt built yet.

That's a good question about getting from Stillwater to Perry. The bars close at 2am. There is limited taxi service, but I don't know how far they would drive. Perry is known for Charles Machine Works (aka Ditch Witch), and very little else.

95husker - There is a quirky place to eat in Ponca City called The Rusty Barrell (sic). The entrance is in an alleyway. You have to knock on the door, the host slides open a little door, and asks you what you want. "Reservation for Dr. RosenRosen". Heh. Anyway, good steaks, reasonably priced. Don't know if you've ever heard of Head Country BBQ, but it's based in PC. Dougan's BBQ is also there. Both are better than any BBQ you might find in Stillwater.

I have an off the topic question... but near perry (if im not mistaken, its been almost 5 years) is a farmhouse east of a town, (could be perry could be north of there all i remember was it was east of the interstate) and at this residence there are huge bilboards and signs allover the yard, with no parking signs all around it along the highway. and on this corner of the section its all fenced in and gated and a little house sits in the middle of it. i do not recall what the signs said but it had to do with something controversial in the community i believe..... do you have any idea what i am talking about?

• Fire 1

One thing I forgot to mention is Heritage Hall, which is located in Gallagher-Iba Arena (which is on the east side of the stadium). It is essentially a museum of OSU Athletics (Barry's Heisman, Final Four stuff, etc.).

95Huskers, I'm not sure there's an 'official' place where visiting fans tailgate. Occasionally, I've seen the opposing team have an area in the Wes Watkins building, but I'm sure it can change. Like I said, you are more than welcome to join the orangepower.com & ostatesports.com combined tailgate. You can find an announcement and map HERE. Great group of folks there, and very welcoming to visitors.