Jordan Larson Kicks Butt For Team USA

As a quick note, I was in line behind Jordan at the coffee shop a couple of weeks ago. She's in tremendous shape, and she's so tall, yet she puts it all together so well. Team USA is lucky to have her.

Also, Stacy Sykora is still playing for Team USA? Good gravy, that girl has been playing ball for a LONG time! ! ! ! !

Jordan Larson steps up for USA volleyball

More or less by default, Jordan Larson has become USA volleyball's primary passer.

Sure, it's a role Larson has held throughout much of her career, from youth teams through high school and club, and during her four seasons at Nebraska. But playing in the big leagues, Larson is now the target.

The best servers in the world, you see, are doing their best to avoid teammates Logan Tom and Stacy Sykora, both of them three-time Olympians, and are taking aim at Larson.

"In a sense, I'm the primary passer because I have the least experience," Larson said recently. "But I think I've handled it pretty well."

As a starter in all 14 matches this summer, Larson certainly did play a key role as the United States won its first gold medal since 2001 playing in the annual World Grand Prix.

Now ranked No. 2 behind only Brazil, the U.S. will begin play later this month in the Women's World Championship. Larson, a former Husker All-American, is expected to be on the final 14-player roster once it's officially announced.

Looking further ahead, Larson has her sights on the 2012 Olympics in London.

"That's my goal," she said. "I want to play overseas until then, and at that point, decide what's next."

Larson, who turned 24 on Saturday, is still considered a youngster in the U.S. ranks. Just recently, while packing up boxes at home in Nebraska, she came across an autographed photo with Sykora that she had had laminated years ago.

A self-described homebody, Larson said she now cherishes the people she's met and the places she's traveled playing her favorite sport on the world stage.

The world championship will be played over 17 days in Japan, ending Nov. 14 in Tokyo. Once that's done, Larson will join her professional team in Kazan, Russia, for a second season.

Regardless of where she's playing, Larson uses the same phrase over and over to describe her development. She's worked to become the "most efficient player" that she can be.

"She just has some technical inefficiencies that she could get away with in college, but at this level, she had to make some changes to be able to compete," national team coach Hugh McCutcheon said. "Then, it's a matter of putting forth the effort necessary to execute the play."

Nebraska head coach John Cook refers to Larson as a "six-skilled player." In the final round of the Grand Prix, Larson ranked 18th in scoring, 11th in blocking, 16th in serving and 10th in digging.

It's harder to put a number on her contributions as a passer, but Cook said he's heard from coaches that when Larson and Tom are both on the court as outside hitters, the U.S. attacks at a .300 efficiency. When one or the other is out, that number is closer to .170.

"For the way we want to play, being good in the serve and serve-receive aspects of the game, we like what she's doing now," McCutcheon said. "We know Jordan is having a great impact."

Funny picture with the article:

4cbe495e83261image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

As a quick note, I was in line behind Jordan at the coffee shop a couple of weeks ago. She's in tremendous shape, and she's so tall, yet she puts it all together so well. Team USA is lucky to have her.

I must admit that put quite the visual in my head but on a serious note that is awesome. Hopefully we'll see her on the court for the USA in the 2012 Olympics.

I must admit that put quite the visual in my head but on a serious note that is awesome. Hopefully we'll see her on the court for the USA in the 2012 Olympics.

Eh. You'd have to use a LOT of imagination - she was wearing pretty baggy clothes.

I met the USA Volleyball team back in the 90s when Lori Endicott was the USA setter, and back then they were in incredible shape. I can only imagine what they look like in person with another 15 years of conditioning knowledge to build on.